Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have photos, but had some beers with my brother on Friday. We collectively spent around $100 at Mcoppins in Abbotsford. (so about a six pack :) )

Standout was the Red Duck Espresso ESB. I usually hate coffee flavours in beer, but this was done beautifully.

I had a 3litre keg of hefe from aldi. For $20 It was a gamble but jeez it was bloody good. Karmeliter it was called

Bugger, I was down in Newcassel today and toured all the Aldis while I was waiting for my mate to be weighed and measured, scanned, prodded and pricked at the John Hunter.
Nothing special apart from the usual suspects like Rivet and St Etienne.

I consoled myself with a 4 pack of Bavaria 8.6 from my local Bottlo. Fck this stuff is lethal, it's so smooth unlike most tramp beers, it's 100% malt and keep away from naked flame. One four pack is like sinking ten stubbies of VB in one hit. Five bux a tin.

(disclaimer: stock photo. I just neck mine out of the tin, preferably in a brown paper bag for authenticity. )

8-6-bavaria.jpg

In the UK and in the USA before the term "hobo" became common, "tramp" means an itinerant homeless person.

Canned beers of 8 or 9% ABV are common in Europe and the USA and still known as "Tramp Beer, Tramp Lager or Tramp Juice".

See Tennants Super or Carlsberg Special.

Best drunk on park benches whilst swearing incoherently at pigeons.

Grabbed some fruh Kolsh the other day, in 500ml cans. Drinking it now. Ive only tried Sunner kolsh and I like both of these beers. Delicate, slightly fruity and easy drinking, with a very slight floral hop presence. I like that they're not as full on as a Pilsner and easy drinking with enough flavour to be interesting. Got some dingemans pils I need to get rid of so Im going to brew some tomorrow.

The beauty of living in NSW (I never thought I'd say that) and working in the ACT (never thought I'd say that either): today SWMBO and I both had the day off work (ACT) and the kids (NSW) had school....bahahahahaa.

So, naturally we went to a brewery (Bentspoke) for lunch.

Frenzy on the left for the 'trouble and strife', a raspberry infused wheat beer. Bentspoke's Landlord tribute, via handpump, on the right.
The Landlord was a cracker, and the Frenzy (I had a sip) was almost identical to my own recent Raspberry Wheat. SWMBO said she liked my version better...high praise.

med_gallery_30557_1283_989078.jpg

Next was Dick Tracey, a 'Belgo' inspired hoppy brown ale. It was a nice beer, but made me wish for another Landlord.
med_gallery_30557_1283_1938988.jpg

Gluten Free Ginger (GFG) beer on the left and Sprocket, a 65IBU IPA, on the right. The IPA was a bit unbalanced to my taste, still a nice drop with some great passionfruit taste and aroma thanks to Galaxy, but could have done with more malt...maybe that's just me.
med_gallery_30557_1283_1713861.jpg

Heat Freekeh, the final beer before school pickup (Missus driving). A saison, very nice, maltier than any of the saisons I've done.
med_gallery_30557_1283_2322982.jpg

A great lunch...had the boss and I thinking of strategies for both of us getting Mondays off work...

Found a few beer photos on the phone from last months efforts.

Deshutes Fresh Squeezed IPA - I think this would be freaking awesome on tap, the hop freshness was low but you get that when the beer travels warm internationally

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA.jpg

Heretic Shallow Grave Porter - Excellent beer, enjoyed this with a mate and then made a porter that weekend.

Heretic Shallwo Grave.jpg

Sierra Nevada Pale in a Can - boom, actual flavour and aroma, in the past the bottled versions have been terrible. In a can was closer to what they would produce on tap.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Can.jpg

Stone Enjoy By IPA - transported direct from the USA cold, tasted bloody great!!

Stone Enjoy By IPA.jpg

Took a spin out to Uralla with a mate -look at the ******* tourist will ya..- last weekend. This is the Top pub, and it is. Though the small print should read Shit Rooms, which they were.
The New England Brewery basically sits next door but oddly they only had one of there beers on tap. A very wheaty tasting pale. Not to worry. Also had One Fifty Lashes and Coopers also plus a good range of ciders and other New Englands in stubbie form. Good food also. Not bad for a country pub where quite often VB, New, Old and Carlton are pretty much your lot.

If you plan on biking it, Thunderbolts Way via Walcha and up the Oxley Hwy will not disappoint.

WP_20150306_0011_zpsjakoqreg.jpg

Nice one Dave, haven't been to Uralla for about ten years. Is there much dirt on the Thunderbolt Way? Might pop up to NE for the autumn colours in a month or so.

I picked up a Karmeliter 3 litre keglet for $20 at Aldi at Hamilton Newcastle. Translates to the equivalent of around $2 a stubbie so pretty good for the genuine article.

Genuine Bavarian Weissbier, not a bad drop and 5.5% ABV. I'm not a fan of Euro Wheats as they often taste like urinal trough lollies, but this has lovely malty body, a hint of sweetness and the penolics are quite mild. Could be a convert.

Edit: hey Florian or any other Teutonic Knights reading this, could the following suggest that it could have live yeast in the can?

Besticht durch sein hefeblumiges, leicht fruchtiges Aroma. Mild, unfiltriert und dadurch naturtrüb,mit allen wertvollen Vitaminen und Inhaltsstoffen.
Sein außergewöhnlicher Geschmack überzeugt auch die verwöhntesten Gaumen.

12,8 % Stammwürze
5,4 % Alkohol

karmeliter.jpg

Google translate says; "Boasts a yeast floral , slightly fruity aroma . Mild, unfiltered and therefore naturally cloudy , with all the essential vitamins and ingredients.
Its peculiar taste convinced the most demanding palates."

I picked up this years Brewdog prototypes. I've only tried the Vagabond pale ale so far (not pictured) and it was lovely.
The one in the brown paper is everyday anarchy, a barrel aged imperial Saison.

16180994553_ca9da461bc_z.jpg

SWIMBO and I just tried a Nomad sideways IPA. I don't like bagging Aussie micros, but F**k me it's the worst beer I've ever tasted. Tastes like ash with a hint of lime. Disgusting; had to spit it out. SWIMBO didn't fare much better. Hoping it was a bad batch

Bribie G said:
Nice one Dave, haven't been to Uralla for about ten years. Is there much dirt on the Thunderbolt Way? Might pop up to NE for the autumn colours in a month or so.
We got on at Gloucester, no dirt to speak of. Just occasional road works where the helpful man in a tanker wets down the aggregate creating a wonderfully slippery grey slurry that sticks to everything.

Blind Dog said:
SWIMBO and I just tried a Nomad sideways IPA. I don't like bagging Aussie micros, but F**k me it's the worst beer I've ever tasted. Tastes like ash with a hint of lime. Disgusting; had to spit it out. SWIMBO didn't fare much better. Hoping it was a bad batch
Haven't found many Aussie micro beers that I have liked, would love to support them more but I find myself drawn to the Kiwi beers.

Enjoying a stone enjoy by IPA, didn't realise it was a double IPA before I bought it. I'm in LAX waiting to fly back and have 2 to drink before I can pass through customs (the rest are in my luggage.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426900164.211954.jpg

Latest posts

Back