Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrayza said:
I'll be checking this out tomorrow. For now, just poured a Moo Brew hefewiezen, their best IMHO.
I like there hef too and the belgo funnily enough i live in tas and find it difficult to find there beers

SN Torpedo. Great beer and you know exactly what your getting, never fails. Just for info I bought a carton of SN Pale Ale just before Xmas. It was cheaper than a carton of Little Creatures Pale Ale! Is this our marvellous grog tax system at work or what? The ******* brewery is only 30 Kay's down the road from me!

michaeld16 said:
I like there hef too and the belgo funnily enough i live in tas and find it difficult to find there beers
Interesting, we stumbled into a random bottle shop last time we landed in Tassie and they had the Moo selection right there. Pretty pricey, probably most of it goes towards the fancy little bottle lol.

The heat in Adelaide was killing me. I cracked one of my 4 malts, 4 hops high ABV complex Homies the other day and couldn't stomach it. Went to the bottlo and bought a carton of Hahn Super Dry. It is what is in my glass at the moment. Suck it up Princesses :p :) :D (it is now raining and cold :ph34r: )

True Brew Tripel from Bendigo.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420863647.366455.jpg

By far and away the best thing about this beer was how easy the label was to remove and the fact the bottle has a crown seal.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420864170.077624.jpg

Having a few bottles of evil twin and this.
Not bad but needs more hops to back the 8℅ vol up.

1421405252872.jpg

Resch's Draught at the Coopernook Hotel, Old Pacific Hwy just North of Taree.

A really traditional Australian old-school clean tasting malty and bitter beer, with a hint of roastiness from the small amount of roast malt (edit actually JW Roast Barley) used to give that typical 1970s Amber colour.

No mouse piss twang although it's a CUB brand. I'd take this over any James Squire mega such as Amber or Golden any day.

Well worth the drive out to Coopernook to enjoy this traditional beer in a heritage setting.

reschs draught 2.jpg

reschs draught 3.jpg

reschs draught 4.jpg

Nomad Jet Lag IPA

It was nice but the spices were not what I like for an IPA. Coolest part of the beer was the Jet Black 330ml bottle it came in.

WP_20141228_003.jpg

image.jpg

Very nice, them smell and taste of hops is very good
I had to check abv and it's only 4.8%
Tastes like an IPA almost
Good stuffimage.jpg

Founders Dark Penance Imperial Black India Pale Ale

UNREAL, malt and hops heaven!!!! :icon_drool2:

WP_20141228_004.jpg

This is how I like a Barley Wine....heaps of hops!!

Hop Dog - Super Beast

WP_20141125_001.jpg

Bribie G said:
Resch's Draught at the Coopernook Hotel, Old Pacific Hwy just North of Taree.
The Park View hotel in Orange has this on tap. I tried a schooner a few months ago and there was something offensive about it. Kind of like a burnt plastic. I offered a taste to a fellow brewer and he rejected it, citing the same thing. I battled on anyway.
Next trip to the bar I couldn't help myself, I told him I thought there was something wrong with it. He poured us both a small sampler, saying it might have been the glass, and it was no different. He said he didn't think it was too bad and there are three regulars who drink it and nothing else. They hadn't noted any off flavour.
I still can't work it out. I'll try a glass when I'm next up in Taree (I have family there).

Couple of recent drinks that stand out:
USED BY.jpg
Stone Used By IPA. I've never really had an american IPA brewed in the USA that I haven't thought wasn't all its cracked up to be, but I'm a pretty understanding fella and can appreciate the tyranny of distance with regard to these beers. But this thing.......Cheezits Christ. As someone who's had the opportunity to be around and pick hop flowers straight from the bine, rip one open and smell a few times.......this beer is that aroma in a glass. But still balanced really well. I'm no hop head but this thing is pretty amazing. I challenge anyone to pour one, smell, then identify the hop. It smells like every different variety I've had the opportunity to rip open fresh from the bine, which to be honest all smell similar to me at that time, and get my nose into. The bar has been set for Big Ass IPA brewers both domestic and commercial for this black duck.
MIKBLACK.jpg
Those little black bits at opposing poles of that silver thing? Thats the dregs of a Mikkeller Black in the bottom of a cut in half Mountain Goat Summer Ale can. At the bottom of a pretty steep range in the west of the Huon Valley, roughly smack in the middle of Tasmania if you were to take a parallel due west from Hobart to the west coast. Illuminated by head lamp.
But not just any Mikkeller Black, this is the first batch that ever got into AUS back in around 2008 I'd guess. I recall reading from on here someone drinking one fresh (Barls maybe?) and saying it needed time, a lot of time, way too much roast. This still had 12 months left on the used by date but I'd like to know how it could peak more. Amazing raisiny, slightly oxidised (it had spent around 6 years under a cork after all) big malty port like barley wine that finished with a pleasant bit of astringency that was barely recognised as the extreme amounts of roasted malt that went into the beer. Would drink again. May not share if had the opportunity over.

Sorry mate, could you explain that second photo a bit more ?

Who's the when with the what now ??

It was the only way to enjoy it at the time as there were only 2 (plastic) glasses available and 3 people sharing in the bottle. Being the champ I am I made the vessel and drank out of it. Did not crush until finished.

Sounds like your plan worked ok.

Could've been worse...

images.jpeg

Folded the edges over on my drinkin' side. I'm a thinker.

Lordy...that's good !

Haven't had a 10 in a while. Mustn't leave it so long next time...

20150125_205817.jpg

Latest posts

Back