Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maaaate ! Wookey (correct spelling now) Jack is the shit !

Like licking a perfectly smooth pine tree covered in treacle.

jlm said:
Rodenbach in cans............Must put local beer establishment on the case. Mowing the lawn will never be the same again.
I tell you what mate, it's the most refreshing beer I've had.

It was that effing hot in Adelaide today! I browsed through 1st choice and found they had 3 x 660ml Stella (brewed in UK) and genuine Peroni (brewed in an oil tanker off the coast of Italy.... well it says Italy.... I forgot how bland Peroni is) for under $10. Being of Scottish ancestry I got 3..... plus I'll bottle a lager in the bottles! ;) I wish I got 3 Stellas now thought rather than 2 Peroni and a Stella.

Cold lager is nice moving the hose around the garden on a balmy night. But this Peroni is making it a chore..... remind me never again.

ps I knew I would regret it so I bought a bottle of Duvel as a night cap for later... hehehe nothing like being prepared.

Wonderful stout while doing my first brew in an urn image.jpg

Thanks to this thread I got about 4 notifications an hour over Chrismas and new year's. Back to the PC, time to discuss beer.

Got a craft 5 pack off my uncle and made a trek to Bendigo, and drank many beers in the process.

Started with a slab of Melbourne Bitter - yeah you read that right. Nothing but megaswill at the bottle shops I went to so committed. Will not commit again. Assertive, riddled with CUB character and went down well to begin with. The next day, 'the stink' was too strong. The slab was split by some gifts on Christmas day...
  • Coopers Best Extra Stout - no-nonsense stout, love it. Bought it for my brother to go halves and he rated it "pretty good". His first ever stout other than Guiness.
  • Ballast Point Big Eye IPA - BALLSY and hop-overloaded. Not a fan myself, decent but a bit too IPA-y. Brother loved it and this was the first time he'd ever really tasted hops in a beer.
  • Hop Hog - not much needs to be said, very nice beer. I used to think of it as a LCPA tryhard but this went down much better and was a fine example of an IPA.
  • Nail Brewery Golden Nail - Never heard of this before but it went down very nicely. Had a character about it that I get in my pales that I associate with an Aussie pale. Not as strong as the former beers obviously but very easy to drink and inoffensive. Would buy again at the right price.
  • Pintail Pail Ale - never heard of it before. US beer, righto. Man was I blown away... probably the best pale ale I've ever had. Balanced beautifully between malt and hops and had this smooth, somehow dry and rich feel about it that separated it to the other beers. Fantastic.
  • James Squires Chancer Golden Ale - Rubbish. My brother's favourite non-lager and I struggled to enjoy this. There was something metallic, almost artificial about it that I'm sure I couldn't recreate at a HB level. Didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's in style or something and not what I was expecting? Washed it down with a DSGA (which was genuinely better)
The MBs tasted rough as guts after the pales and I really wish I'd bought some more beers with me. Thankfully the rellies helped me clear them out.

Off to Bendigo later and I went to True Brew there, a U-brew-it type warehouse. A good setup as I'd never seen these before. All-extract (due to the commercial nature of it) so didn't know what to expect. I asked a few questions and noted they only have two chambers - 20°C and 0.5°C. How do you do lagers? "We use a lager yeast and have to deal with the high temperature". I suppose it works at some places so I got -
Pale ale, Bright Lager, Forest lager, ESB, Scottish Ale and Tripel.

Everything tasted like home brew, which is the taste I tried to get away from with AG. I've never done extract so not sure if this is one of the limitations of it (apparently not as some awards have been won with partials) but they really all had the twang.
Pale ale - cascade hops, ok but a bit thick and seemed difficult to swallow. The best of the bunch but worse than my worst HB ale.
Lagers - all tasted the same to me, nothing outstanding
ESB - tasted more like an ESB than the others but more like an English home brew than the genuine article.
Scottish Ale - crap. 8.2%, very unenjoyable and to quote my drinking buddy "sorry mate, I can't do it". We tipped them.
The Tripel awaits, but I don't have high hopes.

A good holiday, glad to be home but not glad to be back at work tomorrow. Ahh well, life goes on.

This was supposed to be our New Years line up, arrived today... Thanks AusPost.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420444565.924195.jpg

Sam Smiths "Yorkshire Stingo".
8% ABV, aged in oak casks and matured for over a year.

Has a very rich toffee, rummy taste. The alcohol stands out. Aroma smells of malt and alcohol.
Very nice, but at twice the price of Sam Smiths Old Brewery Pale Ale, I think I would prefer two bottles of the pale ale.

Yorkshire Stingo.JPG

Just had the Brew Dog Jack Hammer, that is a really nice beer. Don't think I've ever had a beer with Citra, but I'm pretty sure that's what is in this. Yum.

Just a small collection of beers on my way out of Belgium. Left it a bit late and there was only a small supermarket open so not much of a selection... Cost was a little over 10 euro.

1420712022243.jpg

Where do you blokes find all these beers!

My local first choice is lucky to have SNPA! Dan murphy has a few of but not the selection some of you blokes come home with!

plenty of independent stores,around in western suburbs( melbourne)..Murphy's/1st choice hopeless seem to have lost the game..

jonnir said:
Where do you blokes find all these beers!

My local first choice is lucky to have SNPA! Dan murphy has a few of but not the selection some of you blokes come home with!
If you can believe it, a celebrations in lillydale next to the IGA... They have a small but stunning collection in there

I should mention i'm a southside Brisbane lad. I'm lucky i've got a bottleo literally out the front of my house BUT they have nothing of interest in there. Best they've got is maybe fat yak

Jonnir mate I feel ya. 1st choice close by but they really have no choice anymore Dan's is a bit of a hike and their offerings seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
My brother inlaw stumbled upon an independent that sells Anchor beer Urban cellars at Norman Park. But otherwise it is like a ghost town of good craft beers.

Yob said:
If you can believe it, a celebrations in lillydale next to the IGA... They have a small but stunning collection in there
I'll be checking this out tomorrow. For now, just poured a Moo Brew hefewiezen, their best IMHO.

Latest posts

Back