Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It can't be fading much at all, since it's only been in the country for 2 months
Like I said - I don't think it is faded.

[EDIT: quote added]

View attachment 55591

Really looking forward to the SN Torpedo, Pils Urqell

Don't drink them in that order otherwise the Pils will taste like fizzy distilled water.

Actually, unless it was sent directly from the brewery the day it was bottled via express air mail, it will anyway.

...the Zywiec porter...

I'm not a fan of Brown ale as I don't like that 'gravy' taste. Tried this Porter a few weeks ago and it seemed to have that flavour in abundance too.
What is that? Is it Brown Malt or something?

I realise it's my failure as a human being, not something wrong with the flavour, ;) I'm just curious what the flavour actually is.
Hope someone knows what I mean, I can't describe it better than 'gravy'. Maybe 'brown sugar' might be a more generous turn of phrase but it's gravy dammit.

oxo460.jpg

From her scouring expression I'd say that lady is disappointed to see the eldest boy eating with his fingers when she went to all the trouble of laying out the good cutlery.

I'm not a fan of Brown ale as I don't like that 'gravy' taste. Tried this Porter a few weeks ago and it seemed to have that flavour in abundance too.
What is that? Is it Brown Malt or something?

I realise it's my failure as a human being, not something wrong with the flavour, ;) I'm just curious what the flavour actually is.
Hope someone knows what I mean, I can't describe it better than 'gravy'. Maybe 'brown sugar' might be a more generous turn of phrase but it's gravy dammit.

oxo460.jpg

Do you put half a bottle of Stout in your gravy??

Regards

Graeme

Sounds ideal :icon_cheers:
But I don't get that flavour from Stout, only Brown Ale and this (Zywiec) Porter.
Must just be me then? I will go back to being 'Brown Ale Disabled'. and work on better describing what I mean.

FWIW, I love 'dark' beer, Stouts, Porters, Imperial/Robust versions etc. I just hate the gravy in a glass.

Maybe it's some 'dark passenger' from my childhood, a Brown Ale/Sunday Roast 'incident' that lurks deep in my psyche. :D

View attachment 55591

Latest random selection from Warners at the Bay. Chosen mostly for the pretty labels although some were specifically selected.

I wanted to grab a tactical nuclear penguin but didn't realise how much it cost! Wow.

Hope there's a couple of winners in there. Really looking forward to the SN Torpedo, Pils Urqell
, and Hobgoblin.

Had a Murray's 2IPA from Murrays after picking this lot up & thought it was very nice.
I very much doubt any of the beer pictured will come close to the Murrays 2IPA. At least IMNSHO.

Murrays has the distinct advantage of being (probably) fresh, and not having endured sub-tropical par-broiling during the import process. Plus, it's a fantastic beer in it's own right.

If the Suruga Bay is in good nick it might be a contender. Bairds are a pretty awesome brewery too.

[EDIT: shabby Japanese]

Speak of the devil...

Baird Jubelation Ale - I dunno, seems like it is well made but not my cup of beer. In some ways it reminds me of the pumpkin ale I made last year and wasn't a fan of except the sweetness here seems a bit brighter (if that makes sense). After having way too many such beers in the US last november, I'm working out that cinnamon and beer don't make sense in my mouth.

Southern bay Requiem pilsner beautiful soft malt, floral hop aroma firm crisp bitterness mmmmm loving it.
IMG_20120705_210137.jpg

Went out to a work function at the local sporting club tonight, ordered a Coopers Pale as the best of the pick and the bartender goes "We've got James Squire on tap for $5".

I figure why not, then I sat down at the table and had a sip.

My face must have given it away because a colleague asked me what I was drinking and what did it taste like.

He looked perplexed when my response was "boring". But I really can't think of any other description for it. Almost 0 aroma. I suppose you would call it "balanced" if your definition of balance is 0 flavour.

Unfortunately I've got to do a late night run to the airport, or I'd be tempted to wash my mouth out with something that actually has taste.

Went out to a work function at the local sporting club tonight, ordered a Coopers Pale as the best of the pick and the bartender goes "We've got James Squire on tap for $5".

I figure why not, then I sat down at the table and had a sip.

My face must have given it away because a colleague asked me what I was drinking and what did it taste like.

He looked perplexed when my response was "boring". But I really can't think of any other description for it. Almost 0 aroma. I suppose you would call it "balanced" if your definition of balance is 0 flavour.

Unfortunately I've got to do a late night run to the airport, or I'd be tempted to wash my mouth out with something that actually has taste.

After a year living overseas I had my first squires on tap since I got back last weekend.

I thought the exact same thing the golden ale was bland and had no hint of Amarillo aroma or taste.
Next was the 150 lashes this beer atleast had flavours but nothing spectacular tasted a bit sweet actually.
End of the day though either was better then any of the other crap on tap

The stripper pub near me reopened as a family bistro and the best of their beers were golden ale and fifty lashes. Had the golden ale and when I closed my eyes I could of sworn I was drinking a Carlton draught. can't believe how shit this beer has gotten

Yep the junction is my local even though this pub is just down the street. I felt dirty for even having gone in there and quickly jumped on the train and went down to the junction. I am at junction regulary enough they know my name

I found it a bit thin - almost like there wasnt enough backbone to support the hops - and it seemed like a hop "mirage", the footprint was there but the real thing wasn't. It was lighter in body than most pilsners.....

Jamil has said they get it to finish under 1.010. DIPA's are supposed to finish really dry, anything over 1.014 and they taste crap, just too much crystal.

Love the Heretic beers....love that Jamil has the recipe for Evil Twin on his mrmalty site.

Tonight I shared a big La Sirene Saison with dad and also had the Moon Dog/Beer Here 'Freeks and Geeks'. Whoa.

Van Diemens Hedgerow Autumn Ale - Interesting. I can't say I necessarily like it but it seems well made and I love that a local brewery is going so "out there" with a beer. I'm finding the winey oak (which I don't ordinarily like in any beer) is clashing with the sourness. The tartness of the fruit isn't working with the farmhouse sourness in the way I would expect or am used to. Not horrible by any means but not something I'd buy again. Having said that, this is the first of theirs I've had and it definitely has me interested to try more.

[EDIT: typos and a correction on sourness]

Dont mind the Golden Ale and Fifty lashes but the Amber Ale ort to be shot dead never to be served again

Jamil has said they get it to finish under 1.010. DIPA's are supposed to finish really dry, anything over 1.014 and they taste crap, just too much crystal.

Love the Heretic beers....love that Jamil has the recipe for Evil Twin on his mrmalty site.

Tonight I shared a big La Sirene Saison with dad and also had the Moon Dog/Beer Here 'Freeks and Geeks'. Whoa.

Freaks & Geeks is such an amazing beer. In essence, it shows exactly the kind of flavours you can get out of a really full-on grain bill. So many varieties going in to give the malt characteristics so much backbone and interesting flavours. So good to drink a malt driven beer and not just have to say "tastes like caramel, and toffee... and yeah". The peated malt is so subtle. Also slight funk notes from the farmhouse yeast.

One of the best beers brewed in Australia.

Don't dispute that a dipa needs to be dry. But evil cousin seems too much so, bordering on thin, more than all the good ones I've had (which includes Pliny at the brewery). 1010-1014 is dry enough for a dipa. Why make it as dry and delicate as a duvel ? Bjcp has a minimum of 1010 for an imperial IPA.

Evil twin was excellent though

Latest posts

Back