Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I very much doubt any of the beer pictured will come close to the Murrays 2IPA. At least IMNSHO.

Murrays has the distinct advantage of being (probably) fresh, and not having endured sub-tropical par-broiling during the import process. Plus, it's a fantastic beer in it's own right.

I love the Murrays 2IPA, i love it to bits. But it can pack it's bags and hit the road now that Hoptimum is in town.

The stripper pub near me reopened as a family bistro and the best of their beers were golden ale and fifty lashes. Had the golden ale and when I closed my eyes I could of sworn I was drinking a Carlton draught. can't believe how shit this beer has gotten

did a test a couple of weeks back with the old man where we tried to taste 4 beers and put the correct name to them. the beers were vb, cd, mb and 150 lashes. not only did neither of us get the order anywere near right we both actually picked the 150 lashes as the vb or mb. not much between any of the four and not being able to pick the js beer from the rest was really dissapointing.

I love the Murrays 2IPA, i love it to bits. But it can pack it's bags and hit the road now that Hoptimum is in town.

Two very different animals though. I still dispute Icon being a double IPA anyway. It's more akin to a GF West Coast IPA then it is to any of the 2IPA's I have had before.

Brouwerij De Molen Mooi & Meedogenloos - More often then not when I buy a De Molen beer I have no idea whatsoever what I'm getting myself into and have to look it up when I get home. This time it's a beer that even they don't recognise - not mentioned on the English version of their webpage so I'm none the wiser. Had to resort to checking ratebeer or beer advocate (which I don't like doing - I HATE YOUR OPINIONS, ARSEHATS). This is supposedly a Belgian Strong. I dunno, if it is it probably isn't a very good representation of the style (or atleast it doesn't line up with my impressions of what a Belgian Strong is like, not that I profess any level expertise there). Regardless, as per usual, it is a very well crafted beer and one that is unlike anything I've had before. Pours nearly black with a thin but dense brown head. The aroma is a bit sweet and a little roasty, no noticeable Belgian-type esters - but there is a strange hint of something akin to the darker asian sauces, not quite soy though. Weird but in a good way. Flavour is as per aroma except the asian-sauce-thing is replaced with something in between very low level sourness and tartness (but isn't quite either). Moderate alc warmth but no alc flavour. Very interesting beer. Uh, or very interesting infection? Either way, I'd buy it again hoping for the same.

Had the hoptimum tonight. Delicious all the way from 4*c to almost ambient. Big bitterness but balanced st the finish.

Murray's Wild Thing '10 - kept refrigerated since then, delivered from brewery by the wonderful Eyres'.

Opened silently... an indicator of danger.

Beer would have only a half vol or less of CO2, but better than flat.

Aside from lack of CO2, it is very tasty, surprisingly dry and a pleasant amount of oxidation, lingering bitterness after the earthy liquorice and grapey fudginess.

The perfect accompaniment to wet F1 Silverstone qualifying.

2012_07_07_21.53.50.jpg

View attachment 12_days_Hook_Norton.bmp
Haymaker_Hook_Norton.jpg

Bought these today on a whim at Dans. Not a bad price, $5 for 500 mil each.

Haymaker is a nice Pale Ale, lightly carbonated, light to medium body, little aroma, sweet malt with gentle bitterness on the finish. Nicely balanced, nothing out of place, but then again, nothing stands out to get overly excited about.

Twelve Days has a lot more character. Colour is obviously dark with red tinges when held up to the light. Very light carbonation. Dark malts are evident in the aroma. Palate shows some bite from dark or black malts with nice maltiness. Medium bodied. The dark malt bite hides any hops that I can detect.

Out of the two, I prefer the Twelve Days, as it is a more distictive beer. Maybe my palate just doesn't take to light balanced beers anymore? Is it that too many AIPAs, Belgian Dark Strongs etc etc have ruined my taste?

Edit: My spelling nazi nature made me do it.
Sorry about the pics. Mrs warra is in Sydney doing the grandkid and daughter birthday thing, and she has the digital camera. Pics are from the Hook Norton website.

SN Bigfoot Ale.
This beer is a knockout. Exactly as you would expect; SN Torpedo on crack.

Pch Mortel (Imperial Coffee) by Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel Quebec, Canada, 9.5%
stout.jpg
Some coffee on the nose but only slight, rich stouty malt and molasses dominate the aroma.
Rick tan head with medium tight bubbles.
Heaps of imperial stout flavours up front with almost milk stout creamy-ness (not sweetness). Big body but not overwhelming. Very complex flavours, some bitter toffee and choc coming through.
Finish is all coffee (almost pure coffee crema flavour) with clean roast malt profiles. Finishes dry.
The flavour just lingers and lingers. Very easy drinking

If you dont like coffee you probably wont like this. Somehow the coffee flavour is completely integrated into the beer unlike any other coffee stout Ive had (esp homebrewed examples). Most examples Ive tried taste like a stout with coffee added at the end. This doesnt taste like this. Its somehow incorporated into the beer.

Cracker example of style. I love this brewery.

Was in NZ recently and raided just about every bottle shop I could find for their APA's and IPA's...

Capture.JPG

Green man was my favorite for a day...

Capture1.JPG

then I found the MOA 5 Hop...

Capture2.JPG

was amused by this one... nothing to write home about though.. Ha! KPA...

Capture3.JPG

and then I found the Hopwired from 8 Wired Brewery... a stunning beer and it remained my favorite drop for the remainder of my trip...

:icon_drool2:

Nice collection, iamozziyob.

Is that Lake Taupo in the background in some of your shots ?

If the Suruga Bay is in good nick it might be a contender. Bairds are a pretty awesome brewery too.

[EDIT: shabby Japanese]

Yep the Suruga Bay was beautiful. Big strong flavour.

Currently drinking the Grand Ridge Limited Release Vienna Rye.

Slightly sweet and beautiful colour.

No nose and not much in the way of flavour except I think there's more than a hint of butterscotch though and it's putting me off.

Yep the Suruga Bay was beautiful. Big strong flavour.

Currently drinking the Grand Ridge Limited Release Vienna Rye.

Slightly sweet and beautiful colour.

No nose and not much in the way of flavour except I think there's more than a hint of butterscotch though and it's putting me off.

There's some fucker running around at Grand Ridge jamming Werthers in everything...and leaving lids off bottles...introducing oxygen at inapropriate times.....there is some seriously fucked up shit going on down there.

There's some fucker running around at Grand Ridge jamming Werthers in everything...and leaving lids off bottles...introducing oxygen at inapropriate times.....there is some seriously fucked up shit going on down there.

:D

Grand ridge got a new brewer a while ago and acknowledged the diacetyl issue and was going to do something about it. Perhaps he's left of they have gone back to their old ways.

Haand Bryggeriet Sweet & Sour - very much a similar style of beer to the Van Diemen's Harvest Autum Ale I had a few days back - but much better executed here. I'm still not digging on the oak aging in the style but I'm not getting any of the red-wine I got from the other beer so it is in front for that alone. The sourness seems a little less scattershot here. Somewhat Rodenbach-y in aroma but not so much in taste. Still a nice beer - as I always expect from this brewery.

dogfish head 90 minute imperial ipa

IMG_4507.JPG

well balanced beer, i can actually smell malt as well as hops

dare i say quite quaffable, a 9% 90ibu beer quaffable ? did i say that ? yep it is

might put this on my to brew list

Moylan's The Bottle Is All The Way Over There And I CBF Barleywine - Very, very easy drinking for a 10%-er. Tasty but I gotta say it is fairly lacking in any sort of distinct character to make it a stand-out beer. Amazingly well made though - very dangerous.

Always wanted to try anything from Dogfish Head...to decide if there beer is just hype or actually really good beer

Back