Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologies for the phone pic, the good camera seems so far away...

Solid if sweetish stout. Not as good as the others of theirs I've tried.

View attachment 46434

Gees I remember this brewery when we stayed the night in Eureka on the way down from Oregon.... Surprised they are exporting so far! Was a pretty simple rough around the edges type place (but good nonetheless!)
Had the best roast beef roll/cheeseburger I've ever had there.....

MonteithsSummerAle.jpg

From across the Tasman. Though I'd opened a bottle of Stone's green ginger wine when I smelled it! Taste better than that though. Added a wedge of orange as per the "instructions" on the bottle. This would be quite a nice summer session beer methinks.

Monteithsblackbeer.jpg

It's stablemate is pretty decent too. Not a big beer or a special beer, not a stout or a porter, just a pleasant, well balanced dark ale with some subtle smokey/roast/toast flavours.

Last exam of first semester today so I thought I crack open a fancy one. The trouble is my willpower is weak and I've never been able to manage any sort of cellar so this 2006 Red Hill Christmas Ale is about as fancy as she gets (I acquired it about 6 months ago at a tasting at the brewery).

Smelling strongly of sherry type alcohol with something a little sweet underneath. A near-sourness in the flavour (that I don't remember being there 6 months ago - perhaps I shouldn't sit on it's brother 'til next year like I intended). There's something nearly a bit dark fruitcake like in the back but you have to really look for it. Very warm alc. Man, I remember liking this a hole bunch at the brewery - perhaps conditions aren't as stable under the house as my cheapo thermometer suggests?

Still, exams are over - w00t!

Still, exams are over - w00t!

Congrats bum. I had my last one yesterday too.

that called for a tasting
Brewdog Punk IPA in cans - great beer and the hops taste much fresher out of the of the can
Prickly Moses Black Panther IBA - really good balance between roasty and american hop flavours
Rochefort 8 - Been wanting to try this one after reading its praises from this forum. Beautiful beer. Went perfectly with the 3 Peking ducks!

didn't manage to get onto the Bridge Rd Biere de Garde - at least I've got something for tonight.

Congrats bum. I had my last one yesterday too.

that called for a tasting
Brewdog Punk IPA in cans - great beer and the hops taste much fresher out of the of the can
Prickly Moses Black Panther IBA - really good balance between roasty and american hop flavours
Rochefort 8 - Been wanting to try this one after reading its praises from this forum. Beautiful beer. Went perfectly with the 3 Peking ducks!

didn't manage to get onto the Bridge Rd Biere de Garde - at least I've got something for tonight.

I hope you are indicative of the current student population. Your celebratory drink and food selection is lightyears ahead of the cask wine and 'all you can eat' pizza buffet that was my go-to option for celebrating. Not that there's anything wrong with cardboard wine and conveyor-belt pizza; I just don't hear it calling my name anymore.

my students from last year have just SMSed me from HOLGATE'S. Drinking a porter as we speak. Burger and Porter.....great way to celebrate the final exam yesterday.

BTW where and what are you guys studying? I am doing my Aero PhD at RMIT.

Reuven

Bachelor of Science (Zoology) at Monash.
Should add I was celebrating my brothers birthday as well. Although I never need much of an excuse to splash out on great beer.

Last exam is on Monday... haven't decided on the celebratory beer yet but I am thinking of cracking open my bottle of Amager Mikkeller Hr. Frederiksens Vsel Brunch.

Also studying Bachelors of business (marketing)/law.

I went back to uni last year to do a Dip Ed, it nearly broke me. I forgot how much work they put on your plate, keep up the hard work and enjoy the holidays boys.

Back on topic I have a Brew Dog 77 lager within my reach, they really don't make middle of the road beers, nice and bitter.

Just opened my first ever Murrays. It's the Nirvana Pale Ale. Been looking forward to trying a Murrays for ages and the first one is a gusher. Lost at least 1/2 the bottle and the remains are dull and lifeless.
I'll wait until tomorrow and open another one then. If it gushes, I'll try and snap a pic...

Pimp, if you have anymore issues with gushers, then email Murray's. They like to hear about issues with their beer.

Last night I
MacsbreweryBlackMack.jpg
and it was good. Stouty taste, but smooth and not overpowering. Could do a few...
Then I
McAuslandbrewingSt-Ambroiseoatmealstout.jpg
and it was very good. Not a high alcohol stout, but big on flavour.
Both were pretty reasonably priced too.
The packaging for the Black Mac was interesting. A rip-top on a stubbie, and the stubbie itself has a textured neck.

Just opened my first ever Murrays. It's the Nirvana Pale Ale. Been looking forward to trying a Murrays for ages and the first one is a gusher. Lost at least 1/2 the bottle and the remains are dull and lifeless.
For the longest time I didn't understand why people raved about this brewery because I had many similar (thought usually lesser) experiences with their beers. Then I tried one from an independent retailer who knows how to handle beer and my eyes were opened. If the next one gushes too, try not to be too put off about trying other beers of theirs - they're generally a pretty great brewery.

For the longest time I didn't understand why people raved about this brewery because I had many similar (thought usually lesser) experiences with their beers. Then I tried one from an independent retailer who knows how to handle beer and my eyes were opened. If the next one gushes too, try not to be too put off about trying other beers of theirs - they're generally a pretty great brewery.
It's a real shame to hear about reviews like this because I know how passionate Shaun, the head brewer, is about his beer and delivering a quality product to the consumer.
I s'pose there is an inherant risk firstly distributing beers through major retailers, but also with live yeast in the bottle. And I know the more delicate beers in the shape of the Nirvana PA and Whale Ale have had problems in transit. Unfortunately, that's out of the hands of the brewer, for the most part anyway.
Like anything, if you really want to experience the beer at its best, goto the source...easy enough for me, I live a 30min drive away...but failing that, I think the beers are better off tap, once again, probably not too common.
I have a feeling their more 'robust' brews, like the 2IPA, Grand Cru, Anniversary Ale, Heart of Darkness, etc... do travel a bit better.

You'll have to excuse the image quality, my phone is being a dick.

Today's haul:
beer01.jpg
beer02.jpg

beer03.jpg
beer04.jpg

Party at Bum's place tonight guys. :p
Good stuff!
Bit more pedestrian here:
StoneWoodpacificale.jpg

Holy fruit punch Batman! But quite drinkable, not bad at all.

Bum,
did i read lately that you are a student or studying, cant wait to see you shopping tally when you work fulltime.

Regards Tony

Back