Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One must make these sacrifices.

BrewDogpunkIPA.jpg

I know I've tried a few Brew Dog beers - but can't really remember which ones...
This was nice.
Tastes like leatherwood honey on full grain bread with some added hops. Or something. I like.

Not sure which brewery to attribute this one to but I'm having the Mash Up NZ brewery collaborative thinger. When I saw this beer I knew it was either going to be amazing and irreplicable (it's a word now - get used to it) or contrived and boring. Well, I was wrong. It is neither. Very nice general fruity hop aromas (no specific fruit I mean, that general fruit-salad thing) and some underlying, subtle grassiness. The aroma had me much more excited than the boring (though diamond bright) colour (straw/light gold). Flavour is much more grassy than the aroma. I often like grassiness up to the top end of moderate but here it sorta sticks out like dog's balls with little in the way of malt character to back it up. There is a lingering minty-ness that I'm feeling is the grass and slight alcohol warmth (which is fine in a 6% beer). This beer is pretty much just hop juice (except not as aggressive as that sounds). I'm quite enjoying it but I can't see the best brewing minds in an exciting brewing country in this beer. It feels like an attempt at a lawnmower APA type thing and I just feel like this should probably be more than a safe session beer. Almost overcarbed. I could make this - although mine would not have only an nth of the clarity of this jobbie. Worth grabbing if you see one but probably not worth seeking out.

DieuduCielPecehMottel.jpg

Imperial coffee stout from a Canadian craft brewer. Nice way to end the night. :)

I got these bad boys last night. I've been on call all week, so no booze for me. Can't wait to drink them!
ba99c42a.jpg

Same story with these:
748ba53f.jpg

Mitch :D

Way to make me feel stupid. Bachelor of IT at RMIT.

We are about to get the RMIT Beer Club up and running again. Will post you when it is.....great way to get uni to pay for beer!!

Pimp, if you have anymore issues with gushers, then email Murray's. They like to hear about issues with their beer.

True.
They are an awesome bunch of guys. Head brewer Shaun is great. Top bloke making special beer.

R

8 Wired Hopwired IPA - For a beer whose label wishes to claim it isn't an American-style beer it is a pretty by-the-numbers American style beer. Uh, except it tastes like orange rind. Really nice session APA malt character (which is testament to the brewery since its 7.5% is hidden very well). Nice smooth bittering. It's quite a nice beer and would be pretty terrific (but not mind blowing) in the rind flavour could be dialed back a touch - some would be okay but it is tasting like the main flavour for me at the moment. Poured with no head but still slightly over-carbed for mine. It's funny - I normally don't give a shit about carb but now I've had two in a row were it bothered me slightly - and both were from NZ. Coincidence? I think not!

BridgeRoadRobustPorter.jpg

A nice drop.
I wonder what the difference between a "Robust Porter" and a stout is? This one is dark mahogany colour and big on the roasted flavours. Quite enjoying it.

Pimp, if you have anymore issues with gushers, then email Murray's. They like to hear about issues with their beer.

I will have to drop them a line.
The remaining 3 were impossible to pour without 80% head. They were all pretty bland too.
I scored a bottle of Stone and Wood Pacific Ale (which I have had before) at the same time and it was rubbish too. No doubt it's in the handling and storage.
If anyone wants to avoid the place, it's the little bottle shop next to the Rose of Australia Hotel in Erskinville, Sydney.

On a positive note, they made me appreciate my own SMaSH APA more than usual :)

Bum - I'm pretty sure the NZ mash-up brew was made by Epic after Luke went around to the 40-odd breweries for ideas.
I'm a big fan of the Hopwired IPA. Worth trying the Red ale and Imperial stout they make. Both really nice.
The 8 wired brewer Soren has only been professionally brewing for 2 years and homebrewing for 3. Not a bad effort.

Wow, that is pretty impressive.

I will have to drop them a line.
The remaining 3 were impossible to pour without 80% head. They were all pretty bland too.
its for this reason I buy only direct from the brewery.. and NEVER had an issue.

its for this reason I buy only direct from the brewery.. and NEVER had an issue.

Yep, I'm thinking I will have to make the trip and get it straight from the source.

Having said that, I have never had a dud bottle from Platinum and I'm thinking of swinging by Beer Cartel on Friday to pick up a few beers. If they have Murrays Nirvana I'll grab a bottle for a comparrison.

Kooinda Black IPA
Blackipa.jpg
They're popping up everywhere aren't they? One of the better ones I've tried, the roast character (de husked malt according to the label so i'm assuming there's a decent drop of carafa in there, it is very, very black) is quite prominent in this, even in the aroma, mixed in with a big hit of yankee hops. Can't taste any hot alcohol in a 7% beer and the bitterness is well balanced too at 70IBU. Well done Kooinda people. Not a bad way to warm up for a lazy monday arvo of filtering/kegging/racking/pitching.

Just cleared the camera so I have a host of beers that I had tried over the last month or two

4 Pines Kolsch - clean and crisp and was surprisingly hoppy
Abbey Ale - I don't recall anything brilliant about it
Adnams Bitter - Loved it. Low on the carbonation, heaps of malt and balanced nicely. So easy to drink
Burleigh 70's style pale - very palatable, nothing to huge in any area, but nicely balanced and would be a great gateway beer

4_Pines_Kolsch.jpg

Abbey_Ale.JPG

Adnams_Bitter.jpg

Burleigh_Brewing_28_Pale_Ale.jpg

cont...

Endeavour Pale - Nothing too flash or offensive. Enjoyable but not spectacular

Hemel & Aarde - This was a real treat, despite being made with copious amount of peated malt, it did not have the intensity i was expecting. Still it was a spectacular beer, that was thick, and heavy, large amounts of warming alcohol, and was akin to sipping a fine spirit. Was great to savour after dinner

Hunter Beer Co Little Hop Monster - A mid strength IPA made with estate hops. Another awesome beer from HBC. Such a big beer in every way, but alcohol content. The estate hops are big and in your face, but are smooth and not harsh in any way. Nicely balanced with the malt and was another beer I felt lucky to be able to sample

La Guillotine - I think this is a tripel, and was a bit of a mixed bag, the suspended yeast would not drop in the glass, and looked like a snotty snowstorm. With the yeast in the glass is was unappealing but delicious. With the yeast strained out it was appealing but bland. Maybe I had a old bottle.

Endeavor_Pale_Ale.jpg

Hemel___Aarde.jpg

Hunter_Brewing_Co___Little_Hop_Monster.jpg

La_Guillotine.jpg

cont...

McCashins Brewery Stoke Dark - Can't remember too much about this, other than it was nice

McCashins Brewery Stoke Gold - A very nice pale ale made with NZ hops (Nelson Sauvin from memory). Not jaw dropping good, but very nice

Monteiths Single Source - Another well crafted but more middle of the road lager. The missus loved it, so I guess it has appeal.

Morte Subite Framboise - Brilliant. Loved this beer, unlike the kriek, the fruit flavouring is not sickly, or reminds me of cough medicine. Still rather sweet, and really a bit too sweet, but it does fool you into thinking that there is some real honest fruit in there (which i doubt there is) still it was delicious and hit the spot as far as the fruit beers go.

McCashin_Family___Stoke_Dark.jpg

McCashin_Family___Stoke_Gold.jpg

Monteiths_Single_Source.jpg

Morte_Subite_Extreme___Framboise.jpg

Back