Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give you all permission to drool...

IMAG0062.jpg

Picked a 4-pack of this up tonight (1st Choice 1/2 price deal). I noticed it was recently stocked and I had never seen the beer before. A Beligum Strong Ale from Belgium 'Satan Red'.

Quite a cloudy beer, with only minimal carbonation. Sweet alcohol on the nose, accompanied by raisins and christmas cake. The palate also featured a sweet alcohol, not too hot, and was full of malty goodness. Hints of plum port and stewed fruits with a slight nuttiness. Mouthfeel was very smooth, with a noticeable, but well balanced bitterness. The taste of sultanas lingered well after a sip.

I don't have much experience with Belgium Strong Ales, but this was a good beer none-the-less. Perfect for a cold winters night.

The dinner was mini-roast lamb, with roast potatoes and pumpkin, and a mixed salad, covered in gravy. Made in Australia.

Has anyone ever heard of Chimay Black? Saw it in a pic but never heard of it.

R

Has anyone ever heard of Chimay Black? Saw it in a pic but never heard of it.

R

I think it's a seasonal or 'Christmas' ale. I'm pretty sure it gets a mention in Brew like a monk somewhere. Pretty rare.

IMG_0328.JPG

Did a bit of shopping today.. :icon_drool2:

The SN torpedo lid just happened to fall off in the car on the way home.... :unsure:

IMG_4150.JPG
Ayinger Celebrator dopplebock. Found it in a bottle shop in Hawaii (along with the glass) with a Ratebeer tag on it that said 100.

Very nice, great malt flavours and mouthfeel. Wish I'd grabbed another to bring back home.

Looks tasty - how was it?

Ok, I'm an IIPA man, so this was no where near enough for me, but the hop aroma was the most incredible I've encountered for a while. The bitterness was a bit too smooth for my liking and there was a bit too much caramel sweetness. A nice beer by all means but not $18 worth. Note for future, enquire for price next time you buy beer over the counter

This was pretty much the same beer with out the sweetness

bcfdd042.jpg

And worth the price tag of $8. I think I'm falling in love with 8 Wired beers

Ok, I'm an IIPA man, so this was no where near enough for me, but the hop aroma was the most incredible I've encountered for a while. The bitterness was a bit too smooth for my liking and there was a bit too much caramel sweetness. A nice beer by all means but not $18 worth. Note for future, enquire for price next time you buy beer over the counter

This was pretty much the same beer with out the sweetness

bcfdd042.jpg

And worth the price tag of $8. I think I'm falling in love with 8 Wired beers

Where the hell did you get that for $8??

Ps. Epic have just let on that they have redone the hop zombie, making it a little more bitter and a bit less sweet....

I don't have a pic of it in the glass, and realistically, it just looks like flat black liquid due to the alc content... but that bottle of Mikkeller Black Imp Stout with Kanji symbol on it is a serious mind ******* beer at 17.5% after a few other 8%+ beers tonight.... it seriously smells like acetone, but the flavours ar huge and complex... I'm going to get another to stash for the birth of the first grandchild or some such shit...

Sorry my bad, it was $12. I bought an Orval as well which was $8 so mistook the price on the docket. Still...

I'll give the Zombie another go in a while, if I can get it for less

I also had an Orval last night. My first one.

It went something like this:

Looking forward to this...
Taste...
What the hell is that!
Taste again...
Brett! Disgusting!
Wait 5 minutes and taste again hoping it somehow tastes different.
Nope still terrible.
Tips down sink...

I'm sure others love it but I'm really not a brett fan

Lol, yeah Im not sure what to expect. I love some of the Brett/lambic blends and others I really don't like so it'll be a 50/50 chance I'll like it. Only one way to find out. Haven't cracked it yet

Taste...
What the hell is that!
Taste again...
Brett! Disgusting!
Nope still terrible.
Tips down sink...

:blink:
:eek:
:angry:

Taste...
What the hell is that!
Taste again...
Brett! Disgusting!
Nope still terrible.
Tips down sink...

As you've noted, Brett is not going to be every person's cup of tea. Orval can be a vastly different beer depending on age. You may actually like a very young Orval where the flavour and aroma is more about the hops. As you found out, the funk comes on as it ages. Although, it's unlikely you will find a really young Orval without going to Europe.

View attachment 46790
Ayinger Celebrator dopplebock. Found it in a bottle shop in Hawaii (along with the glass) with a Ratebeer tag on it that said 100.

Very nice, great malt flavours and mouthfeel. Wish I'd grabbed another to bring back home.
Oh sweet merciful Jesus yes!
One beer I wish we could get in this country. Possibly the best beer I tried over in Europe...off tap in Munich... :icon_drool2: ...a memory i'll never forget!

Taste...
What the hell is that!
Taste again...
Brett! Disgusting!
Nope still terrible.
Tips down sink...

Hmm been a long time since i had one, but i remember liking it a lot. Will have to try it again hehe

First Dogfish Head brew I have tried, 60 minute IPA. Very drinkable IPA, plenty of hop flavour thats very well layered. Ends with a nice wack of bitterness, thats nice and clean rather than harsh.

IMGP8583.jpg

Had a couple Haand Bryggeriet beers the last few nights. Fyr og Flamm was a gorgeous smelling beer, ever so slightly rough around the edges on drinking but overall it was a really tops beer. Dobbel Dram was another great beer - very interesting malt character. Seemed like a session barleywine or something. Never really had a beer like it but I'll do my best to have another. Based on those two beers alone I'm quite interested to try more from this brewery.

Got to try the epic/dogfishead Portamarillo last night.

Really lovely beer. Well balanced with subtle but present smoke.

Not sure how much the tamarillo contributed but the beer was pretty much faultless so no complaints.

Followed by another Rochefort 10 and goddamn that beer is now one of my favourites. The next homebrewer who suggests their beer is better than ANY beer available commercially can please tell me how to make this.

Latest posts

Back