Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have the camera out, here's what was in my glass. That bulb at the end is rather deceiving, you think it's empty but more beer keeps coming!

IMG_9178.jpg

Tried this on wednesday night:

Aecht-Schlenkerla-Rauchbier-Urbock_beer_medium.jpg

(not my photo)

Wanted to try a smoked beer style for a while now. Ummm it was interesting, very nice base beer. Aroma was very strong however, unfortunately reminded me of this:

AY112410mz.jpg

Would probably go OK with some meats or cheeses, but not really a quaffer!

Stew

PS. I can understand how they get the smoke flavour, but where do the 'bacon/meaty' aromas come from?

PS. I can understand how they get the smoke flavour, but where do the 'bacon/meaty' aromas come from?
Same place as the smoke.

Get a couple of them in fridge at the moment. I want to drink them but as soon as they are drunk I'll want them back. I don't know what to do!

Also tried one of these babies a few weeks back as part of the 'Lets try smokey beers'

5642410995_1806db5e68.jpg

(not my pic again, I am usually too thirsty to find the camera)

Was much more subtle, much more drinkable.

Bum - Do you usually drink them with food or straight up?

Always on its own but I can see it going very nicely with roast pork or something if someone wanted something to go with it.

Cascade First Harvest 2011. Sorry, iphone pic and Bob Brown's lightbulbs let me down.

english bitter - 5.5%
Hops are more subtle than earlier years, nice clean finish. Bitterness lingers but not overpowering and is enhanced by the alcohol.
Summary - Nice beer - let it breathe for 5-10 minutes and the hop aroma starts to come through better. Toffee notes. I don't know what they were doing in 2008-09, dry hopped an acre of freshies or something, but the memorable flavour is, like the last couple of years, there but not as pronounced...

IMG_0108.JPG

Had bottle of North Coast's Old Rasputin the other night. Not at all the beer I remember (on tap), in fact, I think I like my clone better (and that beer presented a couple of significant disappointments).

On the other hand, I had a De Molen Rasputin the night before that and it was tremendous. Alc is very, very forward (even for a 10.5% beer) but once you acclimatise there is plenty going on in that beer. I'd love to be able to hold on to one for the suggested 25 years and see how it develops but there isn't a hope in hell of that happening.

Any thing Epic...

Usually a few bottles of Epic Pale Ale in the fridge at any one time...getting married next year and will be the beer for me and the best man all night.

When Its pay day, Epic Armageddon and more recently downed a few bottles of Epic Hop Zombie...

Macs Hop Rocker is another frequent purchase

And cant forget my roots - Waikato Draught for the big sessions with the boys!

If you cant tell Im Kiwi!

Anderson Valley IPA.

Had this last night. Have to say, wasn't all that and a bag of chips for my palate. Alcohol was very prominent. Once you adjusted to that it was orange peel dominant without the sweetness. A peat background and hint of dark brown sugar. Good bitterness but did not overcome the alcohol. It would be great if you poured it on ice, didn't carbonate it and called it average whiskey. Others may love this - for me - if I want a whiskey malt I'll pour a Glenmorangie.

Cheers

J

IMG_0109.JPG

Anderson Valley IPA.

Had this last night. Have to say, wasn't all that and a bag of chips for my palate. Alcohol was very prominent. Once you adjusted to that it was orange peel dominant without the sweetness. A peat background and hint of dark brown sugar. Good bitterness but did not overcome the alcohol. It would be great if you poured it on ice, didn't carbonate it and called it average whiskey. Others may love this - for me - if I want a whiskey malt I'll pour a Glenmorangie.

Cheers

J

You really need to drink this beer fresh to judge it properly. I've been to the brewpub and the beers there were definitely a big step up in quality to the ones I tried in Australia.

You really need to drink this beer fresh to judge it properly. I've been to the brewpub and the beers there were definitely a big step up in quality to the ones I tried in Australia.

Not surprised. Often the way - rare that the bottle tastes as good as the fresh keg. Definitely not worth the $15 or whatever it was from Plonk though. They have much better beers for your money than that one.

Renaissance Discovery APA - tasted the Nelson Sauvin immediately, but it was mellowed down by another American hop that tasted like Cascade or Chinook. Couldn't tell. I'm an expert in Nelson, amateur with Chinook and Cascade (Though that will soon change, I've a lb coming from the US).

Other was Nogne Saison - a bit meh - it's beer, not bad, but it does prove to me that Qld-summer-weather friendly beers can be made, though my winter APAs are better.

'cept by the time I finally drank it, my temp controller had come back from my electrician mate who's had it for the last 4 months.

Goomba

'Expert' you say?

Having a Southern Tier Gemini now. A blend of Unearthly IPA (which I quite liked) and Hoppe IPA (never had). This one is quite a bit rougher than I remember Unearthly being but still quite a nice beer. Caramel and citrus in the aroma, similar flavour but the hop profile is a bit more complex than how it smells. Somewhat harsh alc heat dominates any fade but still not entirely unpleasant. I'd be happy if I brewed it but probably not so happy to pay the price of entry for a single bottle again.

Back