Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cont...

Murrays AA2 - The highlight of all the beers I have drank over the last few months. Opened to celebrate my sons 2nd birthday. Despite this bottle being cellared since 2007 it has handled the age with style. Huge amounts of hops were still present, and the complexity of the beer was really coming out. The melting pot of dark fruits, and brown sugar / toffee flavours was amazing. The finish was smooth, and the only disappointment I have is this was my only bottle. One of those beers that was worth the wait, and didn't let me down

Murrays AA5 - I feel this beer will come into its own in a few years time. The carbonation was low and soon after the pic was taken the head dissipated. Bold hop flavours and warming alchol made it a pleasure to drink, but I feel in a few years the fruit flavours will blend together and create something special.

Murrays Angry Man - Another Murrays beer that is big on the alcohol but hides it ever so well. rich and toffee flavours. finished rather thin and dry so it didn't weigh me down when i finished it. Large doses of the NZ hops and it had the Murrays house yeast flavour that seems to be present in many of their beers. A nice offereing

Sleeping Giant IPA - Does not strike me as a modern interpretation of an IPA, it seemed like a amber ale with malt dialled up a touch. A reasonable beer, and certainly the best gage roads beer I have tried in many many years, but not really a showstopper.

Tetleys bitter - Nothing too much to say about this one. Creamy head, low carbonation, good balance of everything, low carbonation so a pint is gone in no time. I prefer the Adnams bitter as it is bolder in all areas, but I still enjoyed this alot.

Murrays_AA2.jpg

Murrays_AA5.jpg

Murrays_Angry_Man.jpg

Sleeping_Giant_IPA.jpg

Tetleys_Bitter.jpg

BridgeRoadRobustPorter.jpg

Also from last night. A pretty decent oatmeal stout. They add some vanilla pods to it somewhere along the way, it has layers of flavours and a great big chewy mouthfeel. I liked it.

Also, got home from work and these had (finally!) arrived:
ChimayGrandreserve.jpg

Will give one a day or so to settle after the trip, most will be cellared and kept for "special occasions" (ie- I feel like a special beer tonight, what have I got lying around...) Hope to save a couple until close to their best before date - 2016.

BrasserieThiriezLaBlondeDEsquelbec.jpg

Right now I'm finishing this off.
Farken nice! Could mistake it for a Belgian. Has that lovely peppery aftertaste.

3958.jpg

Gulden Draak is a dark brown Belgian Triple Ale. 10.5% alcohol by volume.

Is it wrong for me to want to fornicate with this beer?

Is it just me or are the SN Torpedoes from latest (supposedly legit) shipment lacking in hop character compared to earlier shipments?

Is it just me or are the SN Torpedoes from latest (supposedly legit) shipment lacking in hop character compared to earlier shipments?
The lastest shipment was the first time I had tried torpedo and was looking forward to it. I was underwelmed as I was expecting big hop flavours and they were hardly there, or not what I was expecting anyway.

All the Torpedoes in the "latest shipment" were brought over direct from the brewery, refrigerated, and were bottled in April, so I'm surprised if they were in a poor condition. All of the ones I have had, have been sublime.

My suggestion is that it's not the beer it used to be. I've got some trusted mates over there looking into it (i.e what they think, not trying to find any inside goss).

In any case, the bottle I drank was far from sublime for me. Rough bitterness, minty/menthol alc sensation when breathing afterwards. Pretty ordinary by any standard, I would have thought.

[EDIT: typo]

the Torpedo I got brought back over from the US was a quality beer... None of the issues you describe above Bum...

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I can discount the idea of the change being deliberate then.

I had one of those last night Fourstar. I agree. No words needed. I also spy some Rekorderlig bottles in the background??? My wife is nuts for Rekorderlig.

No photo. My corner bottle shop has just started stocking Rochefort 10 for $9 a pop.

Almost a perfect beer really...........

......Or it is a perfect beer. I have a preference for the 8 but it's really like preferring perigord truffle that's been dug up by a pig called Jean-Paul as opposed to a pig called Pierre.

Just finished Fullers Golden Pride, pretty good, with a decent belt of alchohol. Good winter warmer at 8.5% Nice taste of malt however could do with a bit more hops as a little sweet. Would buy again for sure

No camera at the moment

Cheers
Chris

Just had to have one in Antwerps old town,on a trip me and SWAMBO did,nice drop!

25052010_003.jpg

I also spy some Rekorderlig bottles in the background??? My wife is nuts for Rekorderlig.

House mate actually, he likes the taste of sweet sugary ciders. <_< *muttter* girls blouse.

No photo. My corner bottle shop has just started stocking Rochefort 10 for $9 a pop.
Almost a perfect beer really...........
......Or it is a perfect beer. I have a preference for the 8 but it's really like preferring perigord truffle that's been dug up by a pig called Jean-Paul as opposed to a pig called Pierre.

Sacr bleu! why is she not Marie Antoinette?

SWMBO tells me I'm doing "Dry July" this year. :(
Oh well, will be able to condition some brews and build stocks up I suppose.
Thought I better make the most out of the last night of June, so picked this up today:

HargreavesHillESB.jpg

Very nice. Dry hopped, and I can taste and smell it.
Sorry about the pic. Took a bunch, in a couple of different spots, with different lighting, with and without flash, and this was the best of the lot. You can hardly read the label in the others. Abnd being my first for the night I didn't want it going flat!

Prickly Moses Black Panther IBA - Smells quite interesting. Moderate US hop aromas and mild roastiness, had me quite excited for the beer. Drinking it...eh, not so much. Never had such a solventy beer in all my life. I can still feel heat down my throat and on my tounge but I haven't had any for in nearly 10 minutes now. Gonna leave it 'til it gets to room temp hoping some other flavour comes out because right now there isn't anything else. Really disappointing - only my second beer from this brewery and the first was boring beyond words. This one doesn't do much to help them for me.

RedDuckBurtonStrongBitter.jpg

Last one was better...
This was quite flat. Pic. was after frothing with syringe. Head did not last. An OK tasting beer, but doubt I'd buy it again unless it was this or VB...

Latest posts

Back