Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but at the same time, it pisses me off that a few upstarts with a good ad agency can market a beer on the ideal that they will eventually be an organic, local farm based brewery while others are struggling along actually doing it. If they thought that terroir and quality in beer actually mattered they would set up the brewery or contract to a small craft-orientated brewery rather than use the big, same, same contract brewery in Sydney. They aren't brewing beer, they marketing it and that doesn't earn a whole heap of respect in my books.

Yeah understood but slagging off your opposition by publicly having a go at them is not a way to improve your own business. Certainly not good marketing practice.

These guys may not be passionate brewers, or even all that interested in making beer, but it seems to me theyve identified a hole in the market that they will fill. If I was putting together a brewery business, Id rather have 2 marketeers and an accountant, over 3 guys that love making fantastic beer but havent a clue how to sell it.

If these guys can make money by selling a less than brilliant quality product (not saying it is, just an example) best of luck to them. Theyre fulfilling a demand. Fosters Group, Kirin (Lion Nathan), Anheuser-Busch have shown this works. Ill take their business model and profits over a good quality micro any day.

If TwoMetreTall brewery don't like what Endevour are doing... keep it to themselves or show they are better. By marketing better, differentiating themselves and/or producing a better quality product.

beer.jpgbeer.jpgdrinking the consecration right now. very sour but with a good malt backbone. not quite as sweet and malty as a rodenbach grand crue and with a good complexity. looove this beer! damnations next only expect good things now.

My little bro got me a bottle of Mikkeller Frelser Trippelbock for my birthday.

11% and OMFG is nice!

massive malt, with a touch of hops and a nice firm bitterness that really holds the beer up....... im not a fan of big sweet beers. This is perfect.

Enjoying it right now while i push a couple lagers through the filter into kegs..... music pumping in the garage, its cold and raining outside.......... perfect Bock weather.

Life is good!

MikkellerFrelser1248x832.jpg

Moved on my old alu pot today in exchange for some pommie beers.
002.JPG
Many thanks to buttersd70 :icon_cheers:
Cheers
Nige

Not a beer but something interesting...

24102010.jpg

1977 Grange...

Had one glass, then back to the homebrew :drinks:

Had Green Flash West Coast IPA last night. Sorry no pics. Wow, what a beer.

Not a beer but something interesting...

View attachment 41650

1977 Grange...

Had one glass, then back to the homebrew :drinks:

Any good Kieren? I have a bottle of the 77 as well as the 73 and 76, given to me by my Uncle a few years back. And a 78 I got from my parents. Apparently, within the next few years is a good time to drink them.

Any good Kieren? I have a bottle of the 77 as well as the 73 and 76, given to me by my Uncle a few years back. And a 78 I got from my parents. Apparently, within the next few years is a good time to drink them.

Yeah, it was pretty good. I'm not a wine drinker though my dad said it was good. He was worried it may be too old and past its best but it wasn't off or anything.

Yeah, it was pretty good. I'm not a wine drinker though my dad said it was good. He was worried it may be too old and past its best but it wasn't off or anything.

good to know... i have my doubts as the way my bottles have been stored, with the exception of the 78. So hopefully will still be ok.

We recently opened a '69 Grange to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday (1969 is her birth year, and we were given the bottle for her 30th, so it endured 10 years in less than ideal conditions).

The cork was veeeeery slowly extracted by a very experienced waiter, and came out almost completely black, not a good sign in most instances. The wine initially tasted a little "flat" and lifeless, but half an hour in the decanter, and a little air and warmth, and it really started to shine. These wines are made to be stored for a long time, the high levels of tannins and alcohol in them mean they keep and age very well.

I think it was probably on it's last legs, and would have gone downhill over the next 5 years, but drinking something bottled before I was born was a pretty special event.

Nogne O Imperial Brown Ale - Yet another beer from this brewery that completely defies how I think about a given style but is utterly amazing and beautifully balanced. I'm getting to the point where I can almost completely trust them and buy a beer of theirs I'm not at all interested in and know I'll be blown away (and they do have a number of beers I've been eyeing with distrust for some time now). These guys seriously know what they are doing.

Harringtons
Razor Back
Premium Bitter.5%alc/vol NZ

Nice balance of hop and malt.To me tasted more of an amber malt than crystal.
Very smooth and easy drinking for a beer with a full body.Will be back for more.

Like a couple others on here, I tried the Mikeller 1000 IBU recently.

2010-10-20214433.jpg

Deliciously hoppy, but nowhere near as bitter as I expected it to be. Nice maltiness to balance the hops. Lots of hop floaties too, but gooooood beer.

2010-10-22171033.jpg

A couple of cheeky ones here:

Redoak Oktoberfest Lager and Murray's Wild Thing Imperial Stout.

The Redoak... superb. Rich caramel with a warming sweet cherry flavour. Much sweeter than the German festbiers i've had in the past (although I probably haven't had that many).

The Wild Thing ... very nice, too. A bit like a 10%ABV espresso, with an almost dark red-brown head.

PA296761.jpg

My lovely little unassuming corner shop just gets new beers in every so often. Went in today to get bacon and milk and walked out with wicked elf pilsner and PA, a bottle of sleeping giant IPA, 2 pint bottles LCPA and a couple of bottles of Zlatropramen anno 1642 (Czech lager).

Just trying the wicked elf pilsner now. Slight yeastiness in the nose but enjoyable, balanced well made beer otherwise.

Pilsner went down pretty quick so onto the pale from wicked elf.

Has a slightly similar yeast aroma but with added caramel and hop notes. Delicious full mouthfeel and caramel malt backbone. Hop bitterness is firm and lingering. Only let down for me is a slight grassiness in the hop flavour. Good beer though.

corner shop
beer
not Queensland

Found this today at 1st choice, nice delicate hop nose almost German, clean clean malt, no complaints and if I was an Argentinian I would be very patriotic about this beer. Very sessionable and a decent 5% - and a bloody big bottle, to satisfy that big Gaucho thirst. You are hereby forgiven for invading our Falkland Islands :p
Weren't we going to have an Argentinian hop bulk buy? Are you getting this Graham?

quilmes__Large_.jpg

Edit: drinking down to the bottom of the bottle now, and I keep getting a hauntingly familiar flavour... then it hit me - Maize cereal mash :) - yes very noice, would love to tour this place when I'm next in Buenos Aires (I wish)

Brew dog punk ipa.

Picked a couple of 4 packs last night after seeing them at dan's and wanting to find a decent aipa for fair time.

Pours alot paler than expected, almost lager in colour. Has a decent head that dissipates to thin, but laces we'll down the glass.

Aroma is beautiful... Sweet pineapple/grapefruit and a touch of pine. I think I'll enjoy this.

Drinks well with medium mouthfeel carbonation sits nicely. Hop flavour and bitterness not as forward as expected but integrated nicely. However, I get a fair whack of grassiness in the finish... Intentional??? Don't know, but not something I look for in an ipa. Onto the second one now and taste has sufficiently numbed to drop the grassines, but definitely got it on the first sample.

Overall pretty happy to knock off the 4 pack tonight and the next time i'm in the mood for an aipa I'll be purchasing again.

Same corner shop also stocks a reasonable array of ciders. ooked in the fridge today and saw Genesis Cider from NSW highlands. Label specifies 100% apples and I can't find any mention of sulphites or preservatives (one reason I don't drink loads of commercial ciders). Nice apple flavour, crisp and refreshing, good balance of sweet and dry.

A quick google search gives me nothing. Anyone know anything about them? Label says made by marlborough wine company but I get no hits for NSW when I look that up either

Brew dog punk ipa.

Picked a couple of 4 packs last night after seeing them at dan's and wanting to find a decent aipa for fair time.

Pours alot paler than expected, almost lager in colour. Has a decent head that dissipates to thin, but laces we'll down the glass.

Aroma is beautiful... Sweet pineapple/grapefruit and a touch of pine. I think I'll enjoy this.

Drinks well with medium mouthfeel carbonation sits nicely. Hop flavour and bitterness not as forward as expected but integrated nicely. However, I get a fair whack of grassiness in the finish... Intentional??? Don't know, but not something I look for in an ipa. Onto the second one now and taste has sufficiently numbed to drop the grassines, but definitely got it on the first sample.

Overall pretty happy to knock off the 4 pack tonight and the next time i'm in the mood for an aipa I'll be purchasing again.

Won a couple of 4's as prize when I won the BABBs bitters minicomp in February last year with a Yorkie (man seems sooooo long ago, I had to double check myself when I typed 'last year' :eek: ) - bloody nice drop and it's actually a brilliant beer to swig straight out of the bottle while cooking etc :icon_drool2:

Back