Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one in the fridge for tonight. Can't wait to slag it off later - anonymity is pretty rad!

Bollocks to that. I know who you are and can tell anyone at will.

I will also tell anyone I can.

Been a while for me

Food_025.jpg
Schneider Hopfen Weiss
A hoppy strong hefeweizen. I like the concept, and I like Schneiders weizens in general, but whilst flavoursome I didn't particularly think this beer was fantastic. Bit unbalanced, if anything.

Food_030.jpg
Sunshine Coast Rye ESB
Great to see Aussie brewers putting rye into different styles. The beer itself is somewhere between an ESB and APA, the rye isn't hugely prominant but certainly makes a difference. Despite that, I really liked this beer; good hop and malt flavours, and texture from rye and specialities.

Food_031.jpg
Burleigh Brewing Black Giraffe
A coffee infused Schwarzbier, and, for me, certainly ticks both boxes...plenty of coffee flavour, and tastes/feels like a schwarz. Good job!

Food_029.jpg
Red Duck Bengal IPA
Tasty IPA that fits somewhere in between the UK and US-style. Plenty of hops and malt, that's all I need to say.

Food_001.jpg
Murrays Spartacus vs Icon 2IPA
My side-by-side comparison on the weekend of the unlaunching of the Spartacus. 2 very different beers, but I really believe, whilst the Icon has more malt complexity, the bigger beer blows it out of the water otherwise. I'm happy to be proven wrong!

Bollocks to that. I know who you are and can tell anyone at will.

I will also tell anyone I can.

Oh shi- Top work, fents!!!

But seriously it's a very nice beer - as it always has been. It's been some time since my last so I wouldn't like to try an A/B comparison but for a first run on a new system (or by any other measure) it is a complete success.

Staying in a hotel tonight and tomorrow for Metallica show.

Been sipping away through these in the room. I am not that great at putting down in words what I taste like many are so I will just comment on them briefly.

Don't mind the glasses. I didn't bring any glasses and it was the wine glasses or little 200ml glasses. :unsure:

Hoegaarden: First time I've had this beer after reading alot about it. Very easy and pleasing to drinking. Interesting aroma. Spicy/sweet smell and taste. On first tasting I didn't know how to take it. But after drinking a couple of them I really like them! So easy to drink! Very nice and would be perfect to scoff down on a late Summer arvo.

Picture004.jpg

Steinlager: Was sort of interested to try this as a pair of Tooheys New/White Stag/Extra Dry drinkers said they loved it and was delicious. Sort of expecting this to be just like a megaswill Lager with fancy marketting/bottle. Wasn't as bad as expected. Quite nice and refreshing. I usually prefer and APA or the like over a Pilsner or Euro Lager but this was again an easy to drink beer. My beer tasting is still limited so to speak but this beer reminded me of Little Creatures Pilsner and also Pilsner Urquell. A lot less tasty version of PU anyway. I am planning on taking over a 6 pack of PU over to my mates' place and see how they like it. They should really go for it IMO.

Picture001-1.jpg

Pilsner Urquell: 2nd time I've had this. Had it early on in my brew days and after reading the hype about it I was disappointed. I think the reason I was disappointed was because I hadn't tasted a true Pilsner and I had mainly only tasted hoppy ales. The second time around and I can appreciate it alot more and see why it's so highly regarded. It's funny but reading up about different styles in between tastes and trying my own recipes with Euro hops has opened my eyes and I am a fan of this beer. Like I said above, I am looking forward to taking a 6 pack around to my mates' place as they like Steinlager (and this would be the tastiest beer they had I would bet.)

Picture002-1.jpg

Baron's Pale Ale: Had to get a Pale Ale as they are my favourite style of beer. Haven't had any beers from Barons until now. From my inexperienced taste there seems like Galaxy in there. This would make sense as it's an Australian brewery. Not really alot to say about this beer. The IBU wouldn't be very high at all from my perception. Would take a LCBA, LCPA, FYPA etc before this one.

Picture003-1.jpg

ok crappy iphone pics and in-articulate descriptions coming up.
first of 2 beers had at lunch;

Sunshine Coast Rauchbier

Aroma: sweet tofee and lotsa smoked Bacon, reminds me of maple syrup flavoured bacon from the states... Holy crap I think i'm gonna hate this... This freaking me out :blink:

Flavour: as per aroma, more bacon, toasted malt, slight sweetness and subtle carbonic bight... Strangely, I'm loving it... Keep coming back for more. Easily most unusual beer drinking experience I've ever had... But very pleasant. I want more. Smokiness definitly not overpowering. As the beer warms up the smoke becomes more prominent.
Low to no hop presence detected, doesn't matter. The hero of the beer is the smoke...

Overall: Wow... Enlightened... Don't know if this is the best example of style, but it's widened my horizons in terms of style... Might be worth a stovetop small batch experiment this one.

Back to the bar for a rye esb then... If they've got it
SC_rauchbier2.jpg

Sunshine Coast Rye ESB

Aroma: sweet malt, caramel, maybe some spice? Some fruity esters perhaps... Yeast or hops?, not sure

Flavour: caramel, some spiciness, never had Re before, don't know if that's what i'm getting... But there's something different there, can't quite articulate it. There is distinctive English bitterness late in the palate. Balance is definitly towards bitterness, low hop flavour.

Overall: Tastes to me... rye malt under a firm bitterness with low hop flavour. Not sure it's the best beer to be looking for an example of Rye malt... But surely a very good beer. If I could stay here all day... This would would beer of choice.

If I don't knock out a batch of Rye ESB soon, I need to install a mirror at the end of my bed... wake up and have good hard look at myself!!

SC_RyeEsb2.jpg

Oh shi- Top work, fents!!!
But seriously it's a very nice beer - as it always has been. It's been some time since my last so I wouldn't like to try an A/B comparison but for a first run on a new system (or by any other measure) it is a complete success.

Eat your words!!! EAT YOUR WORDS!!!

I know why you really liked it. It was batch Three. Only because Fents adjusted the mill gap and hit his mash in temp within .02 of a degree. Fents maiden voyage, assisted by a numbskull. :icon_chickcheers:

i kid, i kid. Honestly.. beers on the new system/location are better IMO, even Fents agrees!

Eat your words!!! EAT YOUR WORDS!!!

I know why you really liked it. It was batch Three. Only because Fents adjusted the mill gap and hit his mash in temp within .02 of a degree. Fents maiden voyage, assisted by a numbskull. :icon_chickcheers:

i kid, i kid. Honestly.. beers on the new system/location are better IMO, even Fents agrees!

hahaha, biggup for the help mate, hearing great reports from that batch we brewed.

I've got one in the fridge for tonight. Can't wait to slag it off later - anonymity is pretty rad!

much rather someone slag it off from afar than to hear no feedback at all.

hahaha, biggup for the help mate, hearing great reports from that batch we brewed.

Anytime bud, i'll just make sure i bring a respirator for the grain milling. You dont get doughballs in your mash at kooinda, they happen in your eyes! :lol: (or any brewery for that matter if youre milling 100+ kilos by hand!)

These guys go through hard yakka to produce said product. Its not as "easy" as we all think!

So its already out to the masses is it? Noiiiiiice!

Baron's Pale Ale: Had to get a Pale Ale as they are my favourite style of beer. Haven't had any beers from Barons until now. From my inexperienced taste there seems like Galaxy in there. This would make sense as it's an Australian brewery. Not really alot to say about this beer. The IBU wouldn't be very high at all from my perception. Would take a LCBA, LCPA, FYPA etc before this one.

Picture003-1.jpg

Bought a carton of this (Barons Pale Ale) to take camping, now although it didnt impress me much at all, I feel its a dam side better than anything else you can get for that price ($40)

BTW hops are Pacific Hallertau and Nelson Sauvin

Cheers

Feral Hop Hog American IPA - Hello, Letter I, what are you doing here? Very nice but muted fruity hop aroma. Very dry for an American anything. Very nice grassiness for an Australian brewery. Way too low in bitterness up front but a gorgeous linger. Reminds me of Dogfish Head's less aggressive beers in many ways (particularly that oily mouthfeel). Nice beer but, linger aside, nothing here is saying AIPA to me.

Flying Dog Horn Dog - Liquorice Cough Syrup.

Bum, sometimes I wonder if we drink the same beers... I'm assuming Hop Hog was from the bottle?

Yeah, it was bottled.

Just had a look at what I wrote above in the harsh light of day and stand by every word of it. I would be happy to alter "oily" to a more appropriate word should anyone who has had a few Dogfish beers have a better suggestion for the quality I'm talking about. I think it was a very nice beer but there is nothing here putting it in the league of aggressive AIPAs that the label suggests this beer is aiming for. Seems like something at the top end of sessionable APAs except it is much too dry for style. Please understand that this does not mean the beer is too dry to drink. I've drunk a lot of US pales and our obsession with drying them out because US spec grains "aren't as sweet as ours" is absolute bollocks.

Here's an interesting little haul...

Don't ask why the random asian beers - they weren't exactly my choice.

PA136629.jpg

Back