Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some Barons Pale Ale on special on Friday, from memory it had been pretty average tasting but I thought I'd give it another go.
Having read some previous comments from earlier this year underwhelmed by this one I'm guessing they may have fine tuned their recipe a bit because I'm really liking it this time around, great bitterness, smooth finish, and great use of hops for flavour (Nelson Sauvin & Pacific Hallertau it says on the bottle). If I can find it regularly for what I paid for it this will always have a place in the fridge (at least until I can make something as good...)

Mikkeller - Its Alive.

Underwhelming, especially after some of their bigger funked beers. Would have been nice on a sunny day, but drinking in on a rainy night after a bottle of Epic Mayhem may not have been the best choice.

delicate sourness, sweetness, smooth thin body. Some earthy, leathery funky notes (different to bottles I've had in the past - older?). Won't rush back to this one.

Been drinking a bunch of the ol' LCPA, fresh and cheap, great.

Drinking an Epic Pale now, good beer.

I need to sort out a good chiller on my system to lock in those perfumey notes.

Wells Banana Bread beer - picked up from Grand Central bottle shop.

Maybe it hasn't travelled well but this was underwhelming, had a fake banana taste and not much malt taste. Apart from the normal the ingredients include sugar, maize (shich I assume means corn sugar), bananas and banana flavour. Looked at some reveiws which give it a good wrap, maybe they're poms who hove no idea what a banana actually tastes like. Seems like a watered down ale with pronounced fake banana taste. Why add real bananas if your going to overpower it with fake banana? Made me think of swinging beef's redskin beer in that if you were going to clone this you would use those banana lollies.

Take a trip to Singapore and suck back any of ther beers at the queen&mangosteen and im sure you will be impressed. Their Samui Wheat is my inspration for my Jungle Witbier. :icon_cheers:

I wish I'd read this a few weeks ago. I got back from Singapore recently and hit paydirt with the worst beer I've ever drunk. Adstragold Microbrewery. The irish red tastes exactly the same as the pilsner and both tasted like the recycle bin smells when there's Coopers tins in there you didn't wash out properly.

:icon_vomit:

Wells Banana Bread beer - picked up from Grand Central bottle shop.

Maybe it hasn't travelled well but this was underwhelming, had a fake banana taste and not much malt taste. Apart from the normal the ingredients include sugar, maize (shich I assume means corn sugar), bananas and banana flavour. Looked at some reveiws which give it a good wrap, maybe they're poms who hove no idea what a banana actually tastes like. Seems like a watered down ale with pronounced fake banana taste. Why add real bananas if your going to overpower it with fake banana? Made me think of swinging beef's redskin beer in that if you were going to clone this you would use those banana lollies.

I don't think it has anything to do with traveling. This beer was crap from the moment it was conceived.

Just a starter to train the pallet for the beer in the (busy) background.

:)

To be continued!

Murphys__1248_x_832_.jpg

What IBU? Who cares about IBU in this beer! Its about the flavours!

Its the Mikkeller Weasel Beer Geek Brunch, Islay Edition.

Well i just cracked it...... poures with a thick dark brown head that fades to a wispy layer, but that ok.

Nose...... Slap in the face complexity. Its hard to work out :huh: Sweet smokey peat and oak, followed by smoth roast malt and coffee mix with the smell of alcahol from the 10.9%. It all ends up kinda sweet and roasted earthy, if you know what i mean.

Sip....... POW........... Flavours abound. I find myself going cross-eyed trying to comprehend what in drinking. Stout is prominent, roast malts and a firm bitterness that is just right. The flavour of the malt quickly takes a back seat to peat smoked whisky notes of sweet leather and fine cigars. There is a sweetness that rides above everything that really ballances the beer and also keeps you second guessing what your tasting. im wondering if this is the cat poo coffee? Its the most extreme tasting beer i have ever had! Its almost overlaod but in a good way......... i want this pint to last forever!

Burp........ up comes sweet coffee and peat smoked whisky............. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At $46 a pint it aint cheap................. but holy shit, what a ride!

you get what you pay for :)

PS. Im standing here posting this and am half way through the glass. The flavours keep changing in the mouth for several minutes after you have a sip. It sits there like a stout and then the peat stands out...... then sweetness and an earthyness with coffee mixed with sweet oak.............. and i havnt had a sip in 5 minuites!

10++++

Weasel_bottle__1248_x_832_.jpg

Weasel_in_glass__1248_x_832_.jpg

What IBU? Who cares about IBU in this beer! Its about the flavours!

Its the Mikkeller Weasel Beer Geek Brunch, Islay Edition.

Well i just cracked it...... poures with a thick dark brown head that fades to a wispy layer, but that ok.

Nose...... Slap in the face complexity. Its hard to work out :huh: Sweet smokey peat and oak, followed by smoth roast malt and coffee mix with the smell of alcahol from the 10.9%. It all ends up kinda sweet and roasted earthy, if you know what i mean.

Sip....... POW........... Flavours abound. I find myself going cross-eyed trying to comprehend what in drinking. Stout is prominent, roast malts and a firm bitterness that is just right. The flavour of the malt quickly takes a back seat to peat smoked whisky notes of sweet leather and fine cigars. There is a sweetness that rides above everything that really ballances the beer and also keeps you second guessing what your tasting. im wondering if this is the cat poo coffee? Its the most extreme tasting beer i have ever had! Its almost overlaod but in a good way......... i want this pint to last forever!

Burp........ up comes sweet coffee and peat smoked whisky............. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At $46 a pint it aint cheap................. but holy shit, what a ride!

you get what you pay for :)

PS. Im standing here posting this and am half way through the glass. The flavours keep changing in the mouth for several minutes after you have a sip. It sits there like a stout and then the peat stands out...... then sweetness and an earthyness with coffee mixed with sweet oak.............. and i havnt had a sip in 5 minuites!

10++++

Sorry know nothing of the Mikkeller range,thought most liked IBU's.For the ibu's

I didn't get the memo,that its all about malt now.I'm slow,but I'll try to adjust.

Nice review Tony, beer is all about the flavour, thats why we drink it, although some people get hung up on numbers, ei. IBU's. Numbers dont mean shit. They all need to be factored into the final product as a whole. Why dont some people get this concept?Armchair brewers maybe? Made more beers on Beersmaith than in the brew shed?

Sorry know nothing of the Mikkeller range,thought most liked IBU's.For the ibu's

I didn't get the memo,that its all about malt now.I'm slow,but I'll try to adjust.

Wasn't having a shot at you...... just came across a bit blunt is all. :rolleyes:

I dont know what IBU the beer is, but the Mikkels Monster i have to try next weekent is 190 IBU.

Watch this space :)

cheers

Just had a Westvleteren 8 and what a magnificent beer it was. It is full of rich fruit flavours and aromas with pleasant notes of cherry, apple and pear as well as dark fruits. The spice profile is great with mild notes of anise and clove with a nutmeg note also coming through. The malt character was rich and complex without being overbearing. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden and my only criticism is that there is a slight astringency to the mouthfeel. This truly is a king among the Trappist beers and I can't wait to try the bottle of Westvleteren 12 I have.

Drinking a Mountain Goat Rare Breed IPA. When cold it is all grass and rough bitterness. When warm (and the grass and bitterness has more then done its thing) it is pretty much all cloying malt. What a confusing beer. Not awful. Not even kinda bad. I just can't work out how they managed to make it two kinds of unbalanced. I've enjoyed it enough but it most certainly has not lived up to my expectations (which might not have been realistic, who knows?).

Love the picture of a kraken being used to depict the history of IPAs though.

[EDIT: this disparity is not entirely caused by temp difference (the effect of which I am more than familiar with)]

Chouffe Houblon IPA Tripel - With 4cm headspace in a pint glass this thing has been gushing on to the kitchen bench for 15 minutes now. Your future recommendations will fall on deaf ears, retailer who pushes dusty, old shit to get it off the shelves rather than try to make customers happy.

i had a hard time deciding which mountain goat to try today and ended up with a sexy pack of steam ale and have to say it is very nice i really enjoyed the whole drinking experience will definately put it on the regular rotation.

A couple of recent highlights.

Yes that is right, black IPA in a can.

photo-772467.jpg

IMG_0268.JPG

hmm should have taken a pic at Mrs P's yesterday while i made a quick hop delivery to Maple, so just 2 quick ones then back at it

3 Ravens Dark Ale - on tap
One for the more adventurous, this is a rare Australian take on the Bavarian smoke beer style. The use of smoked malts gives it a beechwood and smoked bacon aroma and a lightly peaty flavour.
Style: Rauchbier (Smoke Beer)
Strength: 5.2%

yeah its a nice colour and hints of wood smoke but definitely not a huge amount. no bacon or peat that I could detect. a little crystal sweetness in the background with some nice malt notes and good amount of roast.
fairly easy drinking and not in your face so probably a good beer for those not accustomed to rauchbier and dont want to drink liquid bushfire. fairly clean with a nice medium short lingering taste. not sure you'd be able to drink more than 3 pots though.

not a bad beer, just maybe a little boring for style.

then switched over to Hargreaves ESB. still not quite as good as it used to be PBF (pre bushfire) but we will forgive them :)

Back