Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 wired brewing - hopwired I.P.A

Awesome beer to say the least. aromas of melon, citrus and passiona. Big edgy hoppiness with sticky sweet malt. moderate body and big bitterness on the palate with lingering sweetness. I cant seem to put words together with this one but i know its a good-un. get one if you can. :beerbang:

photo.JPG

Bear Republic - Black Stout

rich acrid sweetness on the nose, sharp and like cold coffee. subtle and mild hop aromas present. ashy notes also come thru.

sweet berry, pulm and burnt sugar on the palate along with ash, toast, coffee and a slightly forward bitterness. a warming alcohol lingers in the finish.

wow this is a massive beer and i cant wat to get my arse over there and get stuck into them as soon as i can. Got to get going while the dollar is still strong me thinks. 8% stout, 7% Amber ales my head is spinning. (i havnt added deets of anderson valleys AAA but it was reallly gooooood!)

photo_2_.JPG

oh here is a fresh one............ not yet on the shelves!

Hahn White.............again for the Hahn plebs googling for interest..... Hahn White. Read up plebs, here is my opinion!

Its a whitbier style....... nowhere near hoegaarden........ it lacks that fluffy wheat mouth feel, it lacks any yeast character at all.
It has a slightly hazy apperance which is suprising for a mega swill brand. flavour of orange and corriander tastes like chemical perfume and is way to strong. It needs to be half to ballance the beer. Its like a amack in the face to be honnest, it doesnt become tiring through the glass. However, i wouldnt be able to drink more than 2 of these in a row.

I took a 4 pack of Hoe's to the kind LN employee's place to try after i was given these to try. He has not had a Whitbier before but does have a love for fine craft beers and fine wines. He said..... why cant Hahn brew a beer like this???
I mentioned this coment to a brewing workmate of mine today (goathearder) and he said the obvious...... they can but wont!

I agree!

Its going to be marketed to be drank with a wedge of orange as aposed to a wedge of lemon as is usual with tasteless beers. This beer aint tasteless...... just the taste is a tad overdone, and tastes a bit fake like its from a bottle, not from real fruit and spice.

All in all..... its not a bad effort from a megaswill mob to market an unusual style to the Australian public. It not something i will buy but it will be interesting to see how it goes and if it changes. I now have a reference :)

cheers

Hahn_White_1.jpg

Hahn_White_2.jpg

thats how it is mate

Its in a hahn extra dry bottle with a stones cap

Its pre release beer not on the market yet, given to reps to hand out for opinions and marketing

Edit. My LN employee friend has worked for LM for most of my life and i have tried just about every beer well before it was released. Best one i ever had was the pre release James Squire strong ale..... the first lot that was made before they dumbed it down to a strong amber ale..... DIG will emember it!

It was AWSOME!

Its actually the beer that opened my eyes...... made me thing... WOW there is great beer to be had so why not make it myself!

True story!

thats how it is mate

Its in a hahn extra dry bottle with a stones cap

Its pre release beer not on the market yet, given to reps to hand out for opinions and marketing

Edit. My LN employee friend has worked for LM for most of my life and i have tried just about every beer well before it was released. Best one i ever had was the pre release James Squire strong ale..... the first lot that was made before they dumbed it down to a strong amber ale..... DIG will emember it!

It was AWSOME!

Its actually the beer that opened my eyes...... made me thing... WOW there is great beer to be had so why not make it myself!

True story!

Yeah the first releases of Little Creatures and James Squire Golden Ale were much better than what comes out now

Hahn White.............

Saw that on tap in Brissy at lunch today, so it's already available. Exchange Hotel. Colleagues asked me what it was, and i said it 'should' be Hoegaarden-like, possibly orange flavours, etc. It turned up with a bit of orange in it. I saw the Hahn label and steered well clear so can't say what it tastes like on tap :D

Remember LN own 40% of Little World, who make White Rabbit White Ale :rolleyes:

Ahhhh its out :) cool. I got told early 2011

40% = no say :)

Had a Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout last night and sipping on a a Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout now.

I prefer the Oatmeal as it's very smooth, but they are both very nice.

Another haul from Cellarbrations... :D
b0bb1e21.jpg

02c38d1f.jpg

53765a50.jpg

(I got this from Woolies)

fb454cbe.jpg

0e0402e9.jpg

3b6e68b0.jpg

d111904e.jpg

20fba94e.jpg

8939b8f7.jpg

443598ce.jpg

The Mikkeller was DELICIOUS. I'd love about 100 more if I could afford it haha.

Cheers!
Mitch :)

some descriptions of the beers would be good...... pics are nice but what were they like???????????

Sorry, I'm not very good at putting flavors into words, but i'll have a go..
The Epic Pale Ale was a nice beer, big American hop aroma, but to me, wouldn't out do a Sierra Nevada Pale ale, and if I had to choose between LC Pale, and this, I'd buy the LC just because for the price, the LC is worth it.
The Sleeping Giant was a surprise package. I got like a Fruit cake kind of flavor from it, and the aroma was kinda piney. Very nice considering Gage Roads IPA was in my eyes rather ordinary.
The Lagunitas IPA was big on bitterness, not so big on aroma or flavor. Still nice though.
DogFishHead 60 & 90 minute IPA's weren't bad either, but for beers that they claim are continuously hopped for 60 & 90 mins respectively, weren't over the top on flavor or aroma as I had expected.
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye Ale - The high alcohol is hidden well. Nice flavor and aroma, subdued bitterness. Dangerously sessionable for a beer this alcoholic! 8%ABV
Stone Arrogant *******. UNreal. 7.2%. Flavour, aroma, bitterness, malt galore. Wonderful.
Lagunitas Hop Stoopid - Is a heck of alot like Stone's Ruination IPA, but sweeter. Massive hop aroma, massive hop flavour, malt was a little on the sweet side, but probably one of my favourites of the bunch.
The Mikkeller/BrewDog Devine Rebel collaboration was delicious. Toffee, caramel, and a hint of alcohol. 12.1%. Partially aged in Oak Speyside Whisky barrels, partially aged in stainless barrels. Uses an ale AND a champagne yeast. Utterly delicious.

Hope that helps.
Mitch :)

Had the past week in Melbourne and found a great beer shop in St Kilda at Ackland Cellars. Over 600 beers in stock.

Picks were fresh bottles of Dogfish Head 60, Sierra Nevada Celebration 2010 and Russian River Damnation.

If you are in St Kilda on Ackland Street it is well worth a visit.

Went into Dans to try Duval but at $50.00 a six pack decided against so bought a Timmermans Kreik ( Belgium's Finest Lambic ) my first try at these beers. Kind of sweet and sour with a strongish cherry flavour got to say tasted great even better with a Coopers stout as a chaser.

How does this work??

Vinnie Cilurzo sent me an email not that long ago saying that they cannot ship their beer outside of the US as it is against the law.
Grey imports ....
From my understanding , it's when a 3rd party does the exporting...
The main reason the brewery doesn't export is they cannot and won't gaurrantee the beers are good after all that travel and shitty storage ...they don't want ppl tasting bad beer...

I am unsure if you have all heard, but Sierra Nevada is confirmed to be coming in officiall and REFRIDGERATED via Phoenix in the next couple of months. Woooo f***ing hoo!

I am sitting back after a hard slog with a good old mate Cooper's Sparkling. We fight every few years/months, but she takes me back every time.

This.
Not normally my cup of tea, but plenty here seem to love their mead so I thought I'd give it a try.

A bit sweet for me but nice enough chilled.

Very clovey and very - erm - ciniminimy..

Even had a little on some vanilla ice cream, no really.

ca6c030b86b052e90363710ac5b48ae8b6a8d2636b3e9756167119286275c2910060fa2e596354f40763fc0a6081ec63638635587c545b013fc45f67b77b1eb9.jpg

Hahn White.............again for the Hahn plebs googling for interest..... Hahn White. Read up plebs, here is my opinion!

Its a whitbier style....... nowhere near hoegaarden........ it lacks that fluffy wheat mouth feel, it lacks any yeast character at all.
It has a slightly hazy apperance which is suprising for a mega swill brand. flavour of orange and corriander tastes like chemical perfume and is way to strong. It needs to be half to ballance the beer. Its like a amack in the face to be honnest, it doesnt become tiring through the glass. However, i wouldnt be able to drink more than 2 of these in a row.

I took a 4 pack of Hoe's to the kind LN employee's place to try after i was given these to try. He has not had a Whitbier before but does have a love for fine craft beers and fine wines. He said..... why cant Hahn brew a beer like this???
I mentioned this coment to a brewing workmate of mine today (goathearder) and he said the obvious...... they can but wont!

I agree!

Its going to be marketed to be drank with a wedge of orange as aposed to a wedge of lemon as is usual with tasteless beers. This beer aint tasteless...... just the taste is a tad overdone, and tastes a bit fake like its from a bottle, not from real fruit and spice.

All in all..... its not a bad effort from a megaswill mob to market an unusual style to the Australian public. It not something i will buy but it will be interesting to see how it goes and if it changes. I now have a reference :)

cheers
Found a stubby of this in Dan's last week and bought it out of curiosity. Had it last night while cleaning the pool. Left the suggested orange slice out of it this time.
My verdict: Well, it's definitely no Hoegaarden, and it seems pretty weak, but the basic belgian wheat flavour is there.
I reckon if you put this next to other tasteless Low-carb beers this would be my choice if I was thirsty. If I saw this on tap at the local, I'll be keen to give it another try, this time with the orange.

Back