What's A Good Discworld Book To Start On?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equal Rites and Guards Guards are both pretty early on and my personal faves (having said that I've only read about 10 of them).

I have to agree with Bum on this one though. Once every 24 months I read Good Omens and it is an ongoing classic. So British, so awesome, so Douglas Adams but not.

I started on "going postal". Pretty far along in the series but I think its a good stand alone book. I've read a heap since haven't found one I didn't enjoy.

ha! same. Definitely makes the commute bearable.
Sunshine Coast / Caboolture / Ipswich line?
Driving in today as it's the Reds versus the Blues or the Pinks versus the Mauves or something (football illiterate here) and the train will be full of footy tragics with no train etiquette at 10.30 when I finish and I won't get a seat till Bray Park. (WTF does everyone live at Bray Park?) :lol: :lol:

I'll have another shot at grabbing some second hand during the week - none at the op shops around here - or whack in a quick order to Book Depository who only charge around $A10 delivered :eek:

Bribie if youre after a good read try George R.R. Martins "A game of thrones" series i think the first one is called a clash of kings.
There crack on paper.

A fellow AHB member (boots) pitched that to me as a fantasy series to ruin all other fantasy series and I reckon he wasn't far wrong.

All my paper crack is in storage, but I am rereading it right now on my iPhone. Aah, digital crack.

Done:

discworld.JPG

I'll have a look at some of the other authors in due course :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Edit: as I was paying I thought "$35 is a lot to pay for books". On the other hand when I'm doing a Craftbrewer order online, if it's below $40 I think "Shit that's a bit piss weak looking, let's have another look and see what else I can put in"........ :lol:
Get your priorities sorted, BribieG.

Now that you've made a choice, the series actually started with colour of magic and light fantastic -> the 2 books go together but you can pick up any book and it will stand on it own

Brilliant, just read "Guards Guards" and I'm in love with Ankh-Morpork etc, have a definite rapport with Sam Vimes and have ordered the next two books in the City Watch story arc. B)
Anyway off to the Mended Drum for a few pints :)

For me its a tie between Vimes and Moist Von Lipwig, for my favourite character. Maybe because Going Postal was the first one that I read.

Latest posts

Back