what venues can't be missed in melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moad

Reaction score
Staying in the city from tomorrow until Monday. Have a party on tomorrow night but open to suggestions for basically the rest of the weekend.

Thanks in advance

A lot of places that used to be good have gone downhill. Some nice bottled stuff at beer deluxe but most taps are matilda bay and a wanky unpasteurised carlton draught, penny blue is busy, noisy after work crowd.

Still like bar fred for cheap pizza, good music and good bottled beer (no tap), haven't been to de ja vu for ages but could be worth stopping in.
Alehouse project and temple brewing in brunswick (very short walking distance from each other) would be my picks, followed by great northern in north carlton for very decent, well cared for tap range and some good bottled offerings too.

Alehouse, great northern, de ja vu and temple then (not huge range at temple as it's all their own but they make good beer and usually have someone who is willing and able to talk about it). Only de ja vu is cbd, others are inner north (but very close to cbd).

Mountain Goat brewery is open Friday 5-10ish. 80 North Street Richmond

Moondog Brewery is open Thurs and Fri 4-11 and Sat Noon to 11. 17 Duke Street Abbotsford

These two Breweries aren't far from each other.

SlowBeer (shop) on Bridge Road has four taps, usually pretty interesting stuff. 468 Bridge Road, Richmond

Two Row is their pub at 351 Smith Street in Fitzroy. Usually only about 5 taps but again pretty interesting stuff.

There's always the 86 tram crawl. From south to north, starting just outside the CBD: Catfish, Gertrude, Forester's Hall, Two Row, Terminus, Carwyn Cellars. And probably some I've missed in between and beyond.

And if you want to link it up with manticle's suggestions, the 250/251 bus from outside the Terminus goes right past the Great Northern.

If you want a really good beer list go to foresters on Smith St, carwyn cellars in thornbury is really good too

Alehouse is ur best bet. A tram will drop you out the front and will usually have beers that you have never tried and will never try again. In the CBD try Cookie on Swanston St.

If you're actually in the City, Eureka Belgian Beer Café is a short stroll across the river in Southbank. Often a good selection on tap, but be prepared to have your wallet considerably lightened for the privilege... :eek:

Best two pubs, in my humble opinion:

The Terminus, North Fitzroy (just north of the city)
The Local Taphouse, Balaclava - the original and the best.

Terminus is my favourite, 18-odd craft beers on tap, an amazing burger, great menu and 4 different rooms.
It also won pub of the year last year, and was the hub for Good Beer Week.

Great Northern in Carlton is also decent.

And in the CBD, Mrs. Parmas is worth a visit, as is Beer DeLuxe (although it is expensive).

MartinOC said:
If you're actually in the City, Eureka Belgian Beer Café is a short stroll across the river in Southbank. Often a good selection on tap, but be prepared to have your wallet considerably lightened for the privilege... :eek:
Super boring. It's a chain these days - I've been to Sydney and Perth, there's probably more, and usually just offers a bunch of Leffe's on tap, a Kriek and maybe something else.

Spiesy said:
Best two pubs, in my humble opinion:

The Terminus, North Fitzroy (just north of the city)
The Local Taphouse, Balaclava - the original and the best.

Terminus is my favourite, 18-odd craft beers on tap, an amazing burger, great menu and 4 different rooms.
It also won pub of the year last year, and was the hub for Good Beer Week.

Great Northern in Carlton is also decent.

And in the CBD, Mrs. Parmas is worth a visit, as is Beer DeLuxe (although it is expensive).
I always used to drive past the Terminus and wonder what it was like. Will have to hit it up some time given its also on the Capital City Trail.

Also a slight technicality but The Local Taphouse is in St Kilda East, rather than Balaclava. Its about 30m from being in Balaclava though (border is Chapel St). Google will sometimes spit the dummy if you put in Balaclava, hence its worth noting.
To get there jump on the Sandringham line out of the CBD and jump off at Balaclava Station, walk 300m down Carlisle St and you are there.

I'd second terminus if you want to push a little further out and foresters is definitely worth a look see.

Albainian said:
yep. thats where I'll be
you'll also get some beer that's brewed just around the corner :)

Latest posts

Back