What Size Home Brewery Would You Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose the size kettle /home brewing system you would be purchase

• 50L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100L

• 200L

• 400L

• Total voters
Thanks for the feedback.
Looks like a 75L, and 100L size pots would be good order.

Diameter is another thing to think about Brissy. I can do double batches (57 litres) in my 70 litre Robinoux ss pot as long as I keep an eye out for boilovers. Pot is 450mm x 450mm with an aluminium base sandwiched in at the bottom to help absorb the heat better.

:beer:

Will the NASA easily boil the contents of a 100L Pot ?
I'm only doing 20L batches, so I only need a 50L "pot" (~35L into the kettle pre-boil).
That's capacity on my fermentor too, generally I don't want more than 20L of one brew. If I want more beer I do a double brew day. And a double brewday is easily achieved when you don't give yourself a hernia from lifting a 60L fermentor :ph34r:

My 2c.

Nasa does 35L pretty quickly so I don't think there'd be much of a wait for 100L, but if you want you could double up like this guy Double Nasa's

Edit:Splenig

Voted 50lt but would love a 35lt if I could get one

Ii would love a 200 litre boiler and the setup to support it.

Lovely big batches. Would only need too brew once a month then.

johnno

You have got to be kidding right? Thats 6.66 Litres of beer per day!!!!!!!

Who drinks that much???

:blink:

But if you have a 200L boiler, you won't end up with 200L in the fermenter. So it might only be 4L a day. ;) :lol:

But if you have a 200L boiler, you won't end up with 200L in the fermenter. So it might only be 4L a day. ;) :lol:

And thats only two stubbies a day..

***2L coke bottles or darwin stubbies*******

Nasa does 35L pretty quickly so I don't think there'd be much of a wait for 100L, but if you want you could double up like this guy Double Nasa's

Edit:Splenig

yes, I couldn't see why not but my be a slight over kill. That guy has a 200ltr set up by the look of it.

If you could do a 50 or a 100litre rig complete setup for around $500-$600 it would sell like pies @ the footy plenty of people here that wont to step up but wont because of the hassle of getting new equipment.

If you could do a 50 or a 100litre rig complete setup for around $500-$600 it would sell like pies @ the footy plenty of people here that wont to step up but wont because of the hassle of getting new equipment.

Tell him he's dreaming

-Browndog

:lol: :blink: :huh: :lol:
oh.....you're serious? Can't see it happening unless by 'complete setup' you mean a pot and burner with regulator. That figure wouldn't pay for half of the materials cost of any of the complete setups I've seen.......let alone mine...

I reckon that the sort of people that are interested in making there own beer from grain are the same sort of people that like to make there own equipment as well - certainly is with me. I'm interested in being able to buy fittings etc, but not a full system. That would take the fun out of it.

I am the exact opposite I do AG(albeit with about 10% extract as I cant brew to full capacity) and I'd much rather buy a ready made job and concentrate on far out recipes and concotions.

I understand cost will be a factor and I am investigating a number of avenues to keep costs down.

On this note I have am considering offering 201 Stainless Steel version in addition to 304 due to the price difference between it and 304SS. Basically the price of nickel and molybdenum as gone through the roof driving up the price of stainless steel.

However the use of 200 series stainless steels is still debated, my current understanding is for beverage use where the pH is above 3 it's service factor is ok.

A negative take on the 200 series steel, for those interested the 201 I am looking at is 4% Ni.
http://www.worldstainless.org/NR/rdonlyres...ttotheimage.pdf

a much shorter article
http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=26141

200-series stainless sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable compromise. Shiny is good, but affordable is also good for all concerned.

I don't think the pitting issue should be relevant as brewers often clean religiously and I figure that the contact times of a standard brew would be largely irrelevant?

I agree.....

I think it would be fine.

the best wat to find out would be to make something up with the 200 grade SS and test it.

Corosion wont be an issue. It wont be under constant load with low or high pH. i mean 5pH is nothing. when i worked at a plant producing glucose, it got down to 1.5 - 2 pH in the process and it was fine with 316. It ate your clothes though.

Work hardening.......... this is an unfortumate characteristic that SS has. all you have to do to SS to work harden it is to heat and cool it. the more it heats and cools, the more brittle it gets.

I have seen problems with 70000 liter tanks that heat up to 100 and cool down to ambient daily but they were only like 6mm thickness wall and if you do the math on the load of volume to thickness....... well its easy to see why they started to crack after 15 years service.

can you see where im heading with this yet?

I recon it would be fine.

cheers

Is aluminium an option?? Would certainly bring prices down. No bling factor, but for me, budget would be more important...

Is aluminium an option?? Would certainly bring prices down. No bling factor, but for me, budget would be more important...
aluminium is certainly cheaper, but is also a material that does not like low pH, for instance your best Italian tomato sauces are not suppose to be made aluminium pots and I am not even going to go into the debate about health concerns.

hi Brissybrew,

any more news or inidiciative pricing on your pots?

regards old dog

BrissyBrew, I think you need to be realy clear about which market you are after.

The availability of a turn key (or at least a decent construction kit one or two stages removed) mash set up is a completely different market to a lot of the folks who post here who have a lot of mechanical skills and possibly time.

Those of us who are mechanically challenged and time poor ( eg moi - phrak will attest) might welcome a kit approach where we dont have to work out all the details what bits to buy etc. the market might not be there yet but I don't think well see the market take off as it could, until the latter group is catered to. The same observation applies to batch size- smaller batch sizes which allow one to upgrade might be an alternative to consider.

Latest posts

Back