Pot size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr B

Reaction score
Hey all

I've been codjega....cogdegat...codega....thinking about getting a new pot for a while.

Currently use a 2V herms type system, with a 50l mash 'pipe' inside a 90l kettle, and a 50l HLT. Recirc mash, lift pipe out and boil with NASA.

I do generally 50l batches. The malt pipe is a little too small - I generally mash about 13 odd kilos in 45l of water, so some water sits in the kettle, and the pipe can fill right to the brim when mash is a little slow, with a few cm's remaining in kettle.

I wouldnt mind moving to a 3v, with a bit more mash capacity.

I cant decide between two options. Would probably stick to same size batches, but tempted to have capacity for 80l ish

Get another ~70l pot for a mash tun, and boil in the 90l. Sizing would be spot on for 55l

Or

Get a 98l for a kettle, and mash in the 90l. Not sure if the 90l pot would be a little big for mashing doubles? Bit more space could probably squeeze in the odd triple, but would normally do doubles.

Or an option I am leaning away from

Get a ~130l pot and go large. Dont think I'm serious about this, whilst going large has its attraciveness, quad batches means tying up fermentors etc with a similar beer.

Any thoughts?

Anyone got an opinion on SOGA pots? And particularly whether they are a little taller than wide in the flesh?

I have a 56l malt pipe in an 82l pot, recirc.

I have got 22kg of grain for a double batch of ris.
It was a bit thick, but it got done.

I can knock out a triple batch of standard (1.045) wort with a sparge.

Don't know what you're complaining about.... that said, if you are just trying to justify a bigger pot to yourself.... ignore my msg...

I've upgraded pot size three times now: Kitchen pot (12l) -> expensive, big nice pot (30l) -> store-bought Keggle (50l) -> Keg king pot (180l).

Buy the pot now that you guess you might want in another 2 upgrades.

EDITS: I just can't type today.

Hey Mr B,

If your going to buy another pot going to a traditional 3V systems is a great idea.

I think I can help you as I have a traditional 3v system for single and double batches (20 and 40 L).

Heres my sizes and comments:

HLT: 60L with 2400W Keg King element and STC 1000, which is more than enough for singles, a little too small for doubles which sometimes need another 10-20 L added for sparge. 80 L would have been perfect, or even 100L.

Mash Tun: 36 L 'Cosmoplast' drinks cooler with HERMS through HLT. Maybe a little on the small side for batch sparging bigger double batches, but no problem for fly sparging. About 50L would be perfect for double batches, but too big for single batches.

Kettle: 80 L fired by Keg King burner, fine for double batches. I have never had it boil over during hot break, but I only use English and German malts.

If I did it again I would go 80L on HLT.

So since your doing 50L batches a 100 L Kettle sounds about right.

Personally I would use your existing 90 L kettle as an electric HLT with an STC1000, my brew days were much easier once I had my hot liquor automatically just sitting there ready to be used.

Secondly I would convert your existing 50 L HLT to the mash tun, insulate it and run a HERMS through your HLT (despite popular misconception the enzymes don't get denatured during their exposure to higher heat for a fraction of a second, its heat and time which denatures them, that's why mashout is minimum 10 minutes).

But you've been brewing for a while and will figure something else out, the above are just some ideas.

Thanks Jaded and others. Typing and your answers helped my thinking. I'm in a bit of a middle ground of pot sizes, so could either go same batch or bigger. I reckon the 98l kettle is the go.

Moad, yep, spot on. I do doubles with diff yeast and/or hops no chilled atm. Thinking that any bigger than doubles would be a bit samey given my limited kegs/cubes, but the occasional triple is tempting.

n87 said:
I have a 56l malt pipe in an 82l pot, recirc.

I have got 22kg of grain for a double batch of ris.
It was a bit thick, but it got done.

I can knock out a triple batch of standard (1.045) wort with a sparge.

Don't know what you're complaining about.... that said, if you are just trying to justify a bigger pot to yourself.... ignore my msg...
N87 not sure what the go is with your answer, I'm not complaining, however seeking experience from others. I guess I had pretty much made up my mind on what I would do, but seeking useful input which may change that, and not a cock size comparison. Nice numbers there champion.

Mr B said:
N87 not sure what the go is with your answer, I'm not complaining, however seeking experience from others. I guess I had pretty much made up my mind on what I would do, but seeking useful input which may change that, and not a cock size comparison. Nice numbers there champion.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one given that text rarely conveys the tone of what was meant.
This was in no means a pot measuring contest, but what I hoped to be a helpful answer from someone who has experience with a similar setup to yours and was letting you know that you can get much more out of it than what it seems you are getting.
But as I also mentioned in the previous post, if you are just looking to justify your new setup, ignore my response

So by all means, take it to heart, but don't insult people for giving you assistance. Especially when you asked for it.

n87 said:
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one given that text rarely conveys the tone of what was meant.
This was in no means a pot measuring contest, but what I hoped to be a helpful answer from someone who has experience with a similar setup to yours and was letting you know that you can get much more out of it than what it seems you are getting.
But as I also mentioned in the previous post, if you are just looking to justify your new setup, ignore my response

So by all means, take it to heart, but don't insult people for giving you assistance. Especially when you asked for it.

Perhaps i mistook the tone of your response. Sorry about that.

Not looking to justify anything, but I think I can improve on my current setup, and looking to do so.

I wouldnt mind moving to a 3v for a couple of reasons, and I just need a pot for that. Its a decent investment, and I've been looking to do this, and working towards it, for a long time.

Its not an efficiency thing as thats ok. You are doing well to have a 22kg 56L mash, nice work, and not much room for error there.

The main thing is that mashing in is awkward, as the strike is not fully in the mash tun, but also sits in the kettle outside the tun. Its not enough water when stirring in. Underletting is not an option as it stands. A dedicated mash tun would mean I effectively have more water in there.

So I wouldnt mind moving to a dedicated mash tun.

I do mash with about 3.5l/kg, but this is because of the water/strike that sits in the kettle - I just aim to have enough over the mash and the recirc outlet when its pumping, but it doesnt do this until the recirc starts.

Anyway, thanks for your input N87, I do appreciate it.

Mr B said:
Perhaps i mistook the tone of your response. Sorry about that.

Not looking to justify anything, but I think I can improve on my current setup, and looking to do so.

I wouldnt mind moving to a 3v for a couple of reasons, and I just need a pot for that. Its a decent investment, and I've been looking to do this, and working towards it, for a long time.

Its not an efficiency thing as thats ok. You are doing well to have a 22kg 56L mash, nice work, and not much room for error there.

The main thing is that mashing in is awkward, as the strike is not fully in the mash tun, but also sits in the kettle outside the tun. Its not enough water when stirring in. Underletting is not an option as it stands. A dedicated mash tun would mean I effectively have more water in there.

So I wouldnt mind moving to a dedicated mash tun.

I do mash with about 3.5l/kg, but this is because of the water/strike that sits in the kettle - I just aim to have enough over the mash and the recirc outlet when its pumping, but it doesnt do this until the recirc starts.

Anyway, thanks for your input N87, I do appreciate it.
All good.
I do full volume mashes, or 'as much water as I can fit in' mashes

It does sound like you are set on changing things up, but if you decide you want to stick with your current setup, we can discuss your process and see what we can come up with.

Definately go 3v with a seperate mashtun and stop messing around with that malt pipe thingy.
The more I read about the time, money and effort some people put into those systems the more I enjoy using my traditional 3v system with dedicated mashtun.
Yes I have used many stop gap brewing methods over the years and made many tasty brews, but since building my dream 3v this year my brew days are so much easier and the beers are even better.

Latest posts

Back