What Size Home Brewery Would You Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose the size kettle /home brewing system you would be purchase

• 50L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100L

• 200L

• 400L

• Total voters
I do 20 litre batches, would love to do 4 batches at once, I can do doubles now in a 50 litre so I guess I could do 4 batches per go in a 100 litre, would like it to be 110-120 just to be sure though.

I voted 100 liters as i do 50 liter batches.

I use an old 18 gallon (68 liter keg) and its big enough but some more room would be nice.

i have to stir in the foam for a minuite or so when it comes to the boil. if i miss it........ well we all know about the mess it makes.

cheers

Who was I kidding voting for 100L?

I could go to bunnings for garbage bins and then get a litre of bleach and still have change from $30.

I AM KIT AND KILO!

As you can tell I have a 'kit' on my shoulder.

Who was I kidding voting for 100L?

I could go to bunnings for garbage bins and then get a litre of bleach and still have change from $30.

I AM KIT AND KILO!

As you can tell I have a 'kit' on my shoulder.

dude, go the 160 litre resealable plastic barrels like i used to use...

well i used 5 of them actually.. B) thats a bout 700litres of K+K....

shame i tipped it all out once i went AG :p

Oh yeh 100 litre for me...but 200 would be cool...hmmm.. i could start using the barrels again..

A brew day every 2 months??? but what a brew day...

Sqyre...

hahaha i do that too squire........ 2 x 50 liter batches about every 1.5 to 2 months.

I dont get much time to brew so i make the most of it.

cheers

hahaha i do that too squire........ 2 x 50 liter batches about every 1.5 to 2 months.

I dont get much time to brew so i make the most of it.

cheers

It must be something about blokes with lovely smiles...

(although i prefer the term dentaly challenged)
Sqyre....

Defo the way im heading, i will combine my 2x50l kegs into a 100l HLT, 55l esky mash tun then a big ass boiler. Havn't been brewing much lately, and if i could do 4or5 x 25 litre batches in one day, i would be very happy.

So i voted 200L

click on my name and you will see me. Im multi coloured at a B&S ball :)

and full of rum :)

cheers

100 would be good. I currently do 45 litres in a 70+ litre bucket of death. Have done as much 60 litres but its pretty hairy.
For Brissy's purposes though I wil go aluminium unless the 100 litre bling thing thing is less than about $150 which, unless brissy is santa, means it'll be ali for me.

I built my 75L kettle to be flexible for brews anywhere bw 20 and 65L. Personally, I will punch out a 30L batch, but love the ability to push out up to 65L. It's like this: if I can keg I'll fill whatever's free, up to 65L, but if I have to bottle I really couldn't be bothered doing more than 30L in a boil. KK to AG converts will be around the 25L mark, but once you pop you can't stop. This means that you always want more capacity than what you got but even if you get it you may not use it.

I'm not sure your survey is accurate on this forum: most people here will say big big big is best, but the same people will built their own shit because they are into it. If you search "kettles" you will find there is a big call for people just trying to boil a proper batch without having to use a huge pot or steal a keg and alter it. These are your 25L batchers- many of whom might be a bit intimidated to post amounst the asteamed here. I would guess this is may turn out to be your main market.

If you wanna sell SS to home brewers, you got to be able to give them something they want that they won't do themselves, but you also gotta be able to do it without sending them broke. In the same vein you also need to give them room for expansion- but without having to sacrifice their eldest. Obviously, 75L rings a chord.

100-200L? How many of you wankers spend hours trying to find a $5 fitting? Homebrewers are tight-arses by nature that talk up their own kits. A home brewer will combine his missus's stocking with an old paint can and a garbage bin to make good brew BECAUSE HE CAN. Be careful how you judge a market here- I mean really, a large portion on this thread have talked about purely about plastic buckets (not that there is anything wrong with that- it's cheap and works, but that's my point).

By "wanker" I meant "me" and assumed "everybody", of course.

I voted 200ltr
I already have gone to 60 Ltr brews = 3 corny kegs and only brewing monthly.

- Luke

At the moment, I'm brewing 23L batches. My AG equipment should be able to handle 46L batches, but I have not given that a go yet. I'm still working on a recipe I want to step up to 46L with. I have a 50L Kettle so it will be tight and will need to add water to the liquor after the boil.

So, 75L seems to be the size I'd be interested in as well, or an equivalent size to get 46L in the fermentors without adding water after the boil.

BB

Guys,
kettle size is one think, but in my experience, HLT size is just as critical - especially when batch sparging.

Here are some of my observations:
1/. I use a for my "regular" brew days & find that the issue can be waiting for the sparge water to heat up unless I use hot water to refill the HLT after mashing in (this depends on the batch size obviously).

2/. I have a 200l monsta mash tun & a 180l kettle that I pull out for ISB brew days (we made 300l this month :super:). The issue experienced was mash water volume combined with available boiler capacity. We had to carefully consider the logistics especially as we were doing a partigyle brew. We ended up draining the 1st runnings into a 2 x 100l kettles as the 180l jobie was full of sparge water.

So don't just consider the size of your kettle to be the limiting factor, the HLT volume can be as well. This may mean that you need obtain 2 vessles of the same capacity (1 for HLT & another for a kettle) so brewdays run smoothly.

Don't forget the OH&S issues with dealing with large volumes of hot liquid - a pump is a must.

I'd recommend going bigger than you think, but storage is an issue with large vessels (trust me ;-)) FWIW, I voted 100l cause I can do tripple brews no worries in my 50l electric HLT, 75l mash tun & 100l boiler. I no longer do single brews cause I no-chill & now have my own stock of fresh wort cubes on hand :beer:

Crozdog

Thanks for the feedback.
Looks like a 75L, and 100L size pots would be good order.

I'm glad I went the 100ltr pot for my boiler. I have since reinvented my old 80ltr boiler as my new HLT.

Will the NASA easily boil the contents of a 100L Pot ?
I'm only doing 20L batches, so I only need a 50L "pot" (~35L into the kettle pre-boil).
That's capacity on my fermentor too, generally I don't want more than 20L of one brew. If I want more beer I do a double brew day. And a double brewday is easily achieved when you don't give yourself a hernia from lifting a 60L fermentor :ph34r:

My 2c.

Will the NASA easily boil the contents of a 100L Pot ?
I'm only doing 20L batches, so I only need a 50L "pot" (~35L into the kettle pre-boil).
That's capacity on my fermentor too, generally I don't want more than 20L of one brew. If I want more beer I do a double brew day. And a double brewday is easily achieved when you don't give yourself a hernia from lifting a 60L fermentor :ph34r:

My 2c.

"Will the NASA easily boil the contents of a 100L Pot ?"

yes

Oh hell yeah!! I'm getting 60 litres from sparge to boil in around 15 minutes. Would do 100 litres on it's ear. Likes a good drink of LPG in the process though. :blink:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back