What Is Your Batch Size ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I used to mash a 23 litre batch but recently realised that it is more efficient to mash in 40 litre batches.

using the 'No Chiller method" I now split the 40 litre batch into two 20 litre poly containers .

I ferment one batch and store the other ,this gives me some flexibility .

If I want to make some slight changes on the second batch ie fermentation temp change , different yeast , or dry hopping I can do using this method.

I only have two kegs this way I also dont have to drink a whole forty litres in one go so I can have a couple of styles.

I seem to get better effiency in the larger batch .

I use less gas in the boil .

Save time.

What size batch do you brew ?

Pumpy :)

Morning O king of all pumpy things !
I concur on the efficiency and gas consumption for double batches. For the record I do 42 lt batches. :D

That's really interesting Pumpy, I really like the ideas of splitting it into two cubes and fermenting one at a later date.

What sort of efficiency improvements do you get with 40l versus 23l in terms of the conversion and in terms of gas?

At the moment my batch size is restricted by two things, my mash tun and my kettle capacity. As such my maximum is about 25l but I usually only do 20l. Although in many ways 20l suits me because I have never done the same brew twice. Still looking for the perfect style ; )

Floculator

Tim

Hey pumpy,

I brew 20L batches but I'm looking to do 40L doubles for the saving etc I'm just not sure if I can boil that much in a 50L keg kettle. I better start researching..

hockers

as soon as i get my new kettle and the bits for my mashtun im planning on doing 40lt batches. for all the effort of mashing and boiling, it doesnt seem right to only end up with 23l of beer

Hey pumpy,

I brew 20L batches but I'm looking to do 40L doubles for the saving etc I'm just not sure if I can boil that much in a 50L keg kettle. I better start researching..

hockers

I'm in the same boat as hockadays, 20 litres wanting/NEEDING to go to 40 litres.

hockadays - For the boil I am planning on boiling around 40 litres and then at the end topping up with 10 litres of water, this way I won't need a bigger kettle. I think this will do the trick. (untried as yet)

Razz, It is the way too 'go the No' .

Hupnupee, My efficiency is set at 75%on Beersmith and I get a couple of litres more measured to the correct SG measured by the refractometer .
The gas needs a bit more to get it boiling but once the boil has started the gas is set the same as for 23 liters for 90 mins .

Hockdays,
it will fit OK in the 50 litre keg same as mine you just have to watch it for the boil and scum scim to reduce boilover and with the Hop sock I have less boilover .
You can always reduces by a couple of litres and add at the end I do that to get to the correct SG it amounted to 2 litres checking with the refractometer ( great bit of kit)

Lucas , Take care when first starting until you get a good recipe and technique nothing worse than ending up wit forty litres of beer you dont enjoy .

Slugger,
I made 40 litres of Doc recipe Aiedens Irish red in a 50 litre keg it worked a treat I wont be doing 23 litre batched as with the No Chiller method I can store the wort I have converted all my recipes now to 40 litre

Pumpy :)

Pumpy and slugger,,

Just had a look at the numbers on promash and my 36L keep cold should work as well as the 50L boiler. I'll have to give it a go soon I think. I'll just have to find someone to drink the other keg as I get board after one keg and like a variation...

Apologies to the Pumpmiester for the slight hijack. Hockadays old fella, I wondered the same thing when I went to double batches, but these days I usually consume one keg from one batch then go on to the next batch. That way the same batch gets consumed over different time frames. No boaredom required ! :D

Latest posts

Back