What is the brewers pump of choice?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattSR

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am building a brewery based around a 50 litre Braumeister that I am yet to purchase. I'm planning on using a HopRocket and my stainless counterflow chiller, and I figured the best way is to go like this:-

Braumeister > Pump > HopRocket > Chiller

Does this look like the best way to do it? What is the best choice of pump? I recall a few years ago the March was the de-rigeur standard, but I've seen Chuggers and other names pop up and I'd like to know what you're all using!

Cheers,
Matt

The flow you propose sounds great, put the main resistance after the pump.

I've had/got
March 809 on my 3V, it's a great pump but you pay for it.
Kaixin on my 1V, it's been a great pump and well priced.
LBP (little Brown Pump), stupid cheap plastic shit broke before I got to use it.

If I was buying another, it would be another Kaixin

I've got a kaixin (one from kegking) and it's great
Only problem I've had with it is that I knocked it off a shelf from knee height and cracked the rear cover
Currently tossing up whether to hit up keg king to see if I can buy a spare cover or just to araldite it

They have the plastic tops, I bought a few last time I got a pump from them. They normally charge $25.-

MattSR said:
Hi Guys,

I am building a brewery based around a 50 litre Braumeister that I am yet to purchase. I'm planning on using a HopRocket and my stainless counterflow chiller, and I figured the best way is to go like this:-

Braumeister > Pump > HopRocket > Chiller

Does this look like the best way to do it? What is the best choice of pump? I recall a few years ago the March was the de-rigeur standard, but I've seen Chuggers and other names pop up and I'd like to know what you're all using!

Cheers,
Matt

Sounds similar to what I have Matt, I don't use a plate chiller anymore, but I do believe they do work well in conjunction with a Hop Rocket.
I use a March pump from my old 3V system, if building from scratch I would look at the Chugger Pump, some what cheaper alternative.
Batz

BM 003.JPG

lael said:
They have the plastic tops, I bought a few last time I got a pump from them. They normally charge $25.-
Like the head or the black terminal cover? (I need the terminal cover)

ooohhhh... no - the top, not the terminal cover.

QldKev said:
The flow you propose sounds great, put the main resistance after the pump.

I've had/got
March 809 on my 3V, it's a great pump but you pay for it.
Kaixin on my 1V, it's been a great pump and well priced.
LBP (little Brown Pump), stupid cheap plastic shit broke before I got to use it.

If I was buying another, it would be another Kaixin

Aww cmon Kev, the 24V LBP I had lasted for yonks.. if I can be arsed, one day I'll try to pull it apart and clean it.. probably wont though as I tend to break them when I do that ;)

I now use an 809 with a chugger SS head...

much better unit, wasnt cheap in the end though, I picked up the 809 for $70 or something (good value there) but adding the chugger head to it bumped up the overall cost... i'd do it all over again though.. I love the humming of the thing over the silent LBP..

also depends on what you want it for, I run a 12V LBP on my HLT that hasnt missed a beat in years of faithful service...

man I gotta stop posting this stuff.. last time I defended the Marga and the very next milling was not a great deal of fun :lol:

Yob said:
Aww cmon Kev, the 24V LBP I had lasted for yonks.. if I can be arsed, one day I'll try to pull it apart and clean it.. probably wont though as I tend to break them when I do that ;)

I now use an 809 with a chugger SS head...

much better unit, wasnt cheap in the end though, I picked up the 809 for $70 or something (good value there) but adding the chugger head to it bumped up the overall cost... i'd do it all over again though.. I love the humming of the thing over the silent LBP..

also depends on what you want it for, I run a 12V LBP on my HLT that hasnt missed a beat in years of faithful service...

man I gotta stop posting this stuff.. last time I defended the Marga and the very next milling was not a great deal of fun :lol:
I probably should be nicer the the LBP, many brewers use it successfully. They must be more gentle than me :p

I swear I saw one of those green AC powered ones on ebay for around $28. I can't find the listing anymore or maybe that was the price for the DC pump version. It was shipped from China.

Not sure about the "brewers choice", but +1 to the Kaixin pumps. I've used mine a few times, and only 'properly' just yesterday for my 1st AG brew and they seem to do the job fine. not having anything to compare them to though I can only offer my very limited experience with using them a few times.

I have a kaixin also, well two, I had one of the heads (pump outlet) break, keg king have replacements, the new black heads look more up to the task. How ever if cost wasn't a concern I would have gone with Nev's (onlinebrewing) ultimiser pump, then rewired for a reverse flow option.

if you want more info let me know and I'll track down the links.

MB

Latest posts

Back