What I Am Brewing With My Chinese Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merely reading between the lines but would it be fair to say that the Marco Polo is maybe better suited in a blended hop schedule? Say with good old centennial and or amarillo for a popping aroma?

PB, Winks and Daemon any comments?

Chap Chap

Merely reading between the lines but would it be fair to say that the Marco Polo is maybe better suited in a blended hop schedule? Say with good old centennial and or amarillo for a popping aroma?

Chap Chap
Chappo, mine was exclusive but liberal use of Cascade...
PB

Chappo, mine was exclusive but liberal use of Cascade...
PB

:lol: You're right PB. But thanks for the previous candid feedback. I must admit I am enjoying the feedback so far as it will certainly help me and hopefully others especially when I get around to brewing with these hops. I really want these hops to be a permanent feature in the brewery.

Chap Chap

I'll give it time to be fair & judge correctly but I'm thinking it'd get a good match with either (amerillo popped into my mind first).
A few kiwi hops also spring to mind as being a good partner.

Ditto Winkle,

I've just kegged my 60min IPA - 7.1 % Calcs as 73 IBU but beersmith doesn't differentiate < 5 min intervals.
(could be more) , have PET bottles chilled and carbonated and I am currently testing them.
Dry hopped with 60g 3 days ago.

Have a couple of pics for you guys:

View attachment 33976View attachment 33975

I'm extremely happy with the results. Perhaps not as much aroma as I anticipated with all those dry hops.

I think Winkle and I are tasting resin because we put a shed load of hops in our beer :rolleyes: and some are still floating around in it.

Cheers,

PB

OOps, replys outta sinc
but yes you are correct, its not in the league of say - a galaxy - but its still a decent aroma hop. Just need it to clean up so I can talk about flavour profile proper like :icon_cheers:

Chap Chap
Depending on what you're looking for flavour wise but for a more traditional APA I'd certainly blend the Chinese Cascade. It doesn't have the same punch as it's US heritage, with far more subdued flavours. I've got a 2nd batch brewing already with the Chinese Cascade, this time I've gone for a simple summer ale that's lightly hopped (~ 25IBU's, only 15g @ 10min for flavour) to see if the more mellow flavour suits. It'll be a basic house beer for xmas day for those who don't normally drink craft beer, but still something with a bit of flavour to it.

Beers look good winkle / PB, at least the feedback so far is fairly consistent.

Considering everyone thats used MP has gone for an overly high IBU count and naturally conditioning it, there would be an excessive amount of hop resins and particles in suspension. When i get around to mine i will filter it to clean it up and post the results. If time persists tonight i might make a light beer, 23L, 3.5%~ hopped to 30 IBU with Golden Promise as the grist:

Something like:

10 IBU - FWH
5 IBU - 20 Min
10 IBU 10 Min
5 IBU - 5 Min
50g Flameout/Whirlpool addition.

Should be enough hops there to give us an idea of how she really goes for bittering falvour and aroma. I'll use a repitch of 1272 for a hard fast ferment. :icon_chickcheers:

Put down an APA this arv.

3kg Vienna
3kb BB ale
2kg Aromatic
400g carared
250 wheat

30g Chinese cascade FWH
40g Chinese cascade 60min
15g chinese cascade 30min
15g chinese cascade 25min
15g chinese cascade 20min
15g chinese cascade 15min
15g chinese cascade 10min
32g Fuggles 5min
50g chinese cascade 0min

38 litres @ 1050

Doesnt have that big cascade smell but time will tell.

Cheers Brad

This one finished at 1009 and I Carbed it up this morning....

Definately a bittering hop for me. Has a nice subtle flavour to it which doesnt really match the hop bill. I am glad I threw the fuggles in late. Cant really describe the flavour but IMO it would be a great hop to use in a Belgian Strong Ale. I will definately be using this hop again but will probably use it where I would usually use Williamette. All in all I am pretty happy with this hop. The challenge is to find a place for it.

Cheers Brad

2kg aromatic?! I've never used it, but thought it similar to melanoidin? I' d struggle with more than 2% melanoidin in any beer!!

I now have 2 UK Special Bitters in Primary, both fermenting happily and both with 50g Cluster as the 90 minute hop. One of them is finished with 20g Northdown and the other with 20g Challenger. Should both be done and kegged in time for New Years Eve and it will be interesting to see if the Cluster makes a good background hop. Great aroma coming from airlocks. There will be plenty of bottles left after kegging as I've done my 25 L recipe this time round so bottles for BABBs :super:

Don't know if I mentioned it but there's a The Drunk Arab Belgian with 80g Saaz and 2 plugs of Styrians currently 'lagering' for a couple of weeks, bottle after Christmas. I'm not kegging this one, bottling only so there's another one for the late January tasting.

I used some of my Saaz hops to finish 40 litres of Saison I mashed today with some really old Styrian Goldings to Bitter :)

Used all Marco Polo on this brew currently in the cube for this beer:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 16 Batz Altbier

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Boil Size: 33.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.12 kg Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 47.08 %
2.75 kg Munich (9.0 SRM) Grain 41.43 %
0.40 kg Wheat (2.5 SRM) Grain 6.03 %
0.31 kg Caramalt (125.0 SRM) Grain 4.71 %
0.05 kg Choc Malt (1200.0 SRM) Grain 0.75 %
12.62 gm Chinese Marco Polo [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
18.94 gm Chinese Marco Polo [12.00 %] (45 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
0.63 items Whirlfloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs 1056 (Wyeast) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: *** Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.64 kg
----------------------------
*** Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.29 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C
10 min Mash Out Add 9.69 L of water at 91.5 C 75.6 C

Brewed this with GravityGurus' arse-sistance on Saturday. Day went well except for me forgetting to adjust the ph :( . And farting about with the new mash tun meant we got a bigger volume than really required but a good day was had.

Chu Dat Hopf Phat
IIPA

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L

Ingredients

6.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
0.50 kg Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.41 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6.41 %
0.30 kg Caraaroma (130.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
25.00 gm Cascade C [5.80 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
66.00 gm Nugget C [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 70.2 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade C [5.80 %] (20 min) Hops 9.3 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade C [5.80 %] (15 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade C [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
25.00 gm Cascade C [5.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
0.25 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

US-05 double pack (rehydrated)

Smelled great as it went in the fermenter.

My IPA (only 60IBUs not close to winkles 70IBU APA) with MP is still conditioning but I decided to chuck 20g of galaxy dry hopped in as the aroma was poor. I'm hoping it will be a good match / contrast for that peppery-ness that it has seemed to through in the flavour.

I am disappointed with the aroma considering the beer had 65g after 15mins + 20g in the NC cube (for a day).

Chap Chap

That's what I have carbing up at the moment. An Amarillo, Marco Polo & Centennial.

I'll give you an idea of flavour in the next day or so but the smell is magficient (more so from the Amraillo & Centennial I'd expect).

Cheers,

mossy

Just put my TDA "flyblown" belgian blond into lager-ale-ing for a couple of weeks before bottling and had a sneaky taste just now - the 80g Saaz and 2 Styrian plugs have blended beautifully - getting a good clean bittering from the Saaz and a nice floral something that's blending well with the fruit from the Belgian ale yeast.
Again, good use as a workhorse hop and happy so far.
I'll be lagering the all Saaz Chinese Pale Pilsener sometime during the week so looking forward to a sneaky of that one.

Just forced carbed a sample of my 2nd brew with the Chinese Cascade and it should be a good Xmas drink. Not perfectly suited still but hopped to 25IBU (60 min and small 10 min to add a touch of flavour) for the non-craft beer drinkers to quaff. Mostly just Galaxy malt with a splash of caramalt and carapils, at least the malt flavour is nice and clean (US-05 yeast @17C). Bittering isn't as clean as Super Alpha or similar that blend well with other hops so personally I'd only use them for APA's only. I also have my Sticks and Stones ready (Galaxy hops, so massive flavour and aroma) and a Dunkel-weizen so for those that enjoy flavour will be in for a treat :)

Without trying to cast to many assertions, I'm dubious about how fresh the hops are. There's just no aroma to them and that normally happens to me with older hops. Just my thoughts anyway, it could be part of their packaging process that's stripping all the aroma as well.

Put these down lastnight for a mates 21st! I cant wait to finally test the Marco Polo for myself! Interstingly the saaz smelt more like your typical cascade when going into the boil, quite citrusy. The Cascade was quite earthy in the boil. Hopefully mine haven't been baggied incorrectly! :eek:

Cieran 21st Cascade
American Pale Ale

Date: 20/12/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 90.0 %
0.30 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
50.00 gm Cascade [5.80%] (20 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
20.00 gm Cascade [5.80%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.6 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade [5.80%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.6 %
Bitterness: 34.7 IBU
Est Color: 4.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash In Add 14.00 L of water at 70.8 C 65.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 77.9 C 70.0 C 10 min

Notes
2g cacl in mash
6g CaSO4 in Boil

Cieran 21st Saaz
Cream Ale

Date: 20/12/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0

Ingredients
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 90.0 %
0.30 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
20.00 gm Magnum [12.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 30.4 IBU
20.00 gm Saaz [4.30%] (20 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz [4.30%] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG