What I Am Brewing With My Chinese Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Well there was a short lived thread on 'what am I planning to do', but now that the hops have arrived it's time for a new thread.

First off, on Monday I'm doing a XXX tribute using Cluster. Then I'll follow it up with a Saaz equivalent. If a few of us Brisbane Hop buyers can produce some brews over the holidays it will a great kick off to 2010 to take some samples along to BABBs January meeting.

4000 BB Galaxy
500 Polenta
50g dark crystal in the XXX, none in the Saaz

66 degrees 90 mins

20g hop 90 mins
15g hop 20 mins
15g hop flameout

500 da sugazzzzz

S-189

ten days fermenting
ten days lagering
ten days cold keg. :icon_drunk:

Who is going to take up the 500gram per batch challange? SMASH IIPA cascade hopbusrt green monster?

I was thinking of going out there with the first one

Vienna 3kg
Aromatic 1kg
Wheat 500g

Cluster at 60min
cluster at 15min
Saaz at 0min

Mash at 64

THE GREAT CHINESE HOP BUY 2009

HOPS THAT ARE AVAILABLE

Typical anaylsis supplied by Elimnatral

Technology Index

T-90 Hop pellet
Incomplete pellets are less than 4%. Dissolved time is less than 10 seconds.
Humidity content: 7.0%-9.0%

This compare very faviourable with other manufacturers arround the world. We can only order 10 kg bags, and will affect how you order (see Ordering).

TYPES OF HOPS

Product
SAAZ aroma hop pellets(SA-1) (T-90)

Specification
a acids: 2.0%-4.0% -Acids: 2.0%-4.0%

Product
CLUSTER bitter hop pellets(Qingdao Dahua) (T-90)

Specification
a-Acids>6.5% -Acids>3.5%

Product
MARCO POLO bitter hop pellets (T-90)

Specification
a-Acids>12% -Acids>3.0%

Product
CASCADE aroma hop pellets (T-90)

Specification
a-Acids <4.5% B-Acids 4.0-6.0 %

Product
Nugget bittering hop pellet (T-90)

Specifications
UNKNOWN

I know that we have been well informed that the AA may not be accurate but at least its a guide for Recipe Building.

Only bought a kg of the Cascade, so a basic APA will be on the cards.

Thinking BB Ale with a splash of carared and aromatic then Cascade @ 60 / 15 / 5 / dry hop. If the flavour turns out ok I think I'll go for a 60 min dogfishhead style brew :)

Only bought a kg of the Cascade, so a basic APA will be on the cards.

Thinking BB Ale with a splash of carared and aromatic then Cascade @ 60 / 15 / 5 / dry hop. If the flavour turns out ok I think I'll go for a 60 min dogfishhead style brew :)
looks good Daemon, only just remembered that I ordered a Kilo of Cascade too. Woo Hoo

Brad

I got a kilo of everything coming, someone help me use them lol

Just about to sparge TOYBOX 60min IPA with the Chinese Cascade...betta go

PB

Wow, didn't think you'd get to it today Dave.

I don't think we'll be seeing you post during the boil hey? haha

Wow, didn't think you'd get to it today Dave.

I don't think we'll be seeing you post during the boil hey? haha
Between kids bathtime, cooking the BBQ for dinner and cracking grain it was it a bit of a stretch but I'm on a mission tonight. :p

I'll be sitting by the pot with my jug of chinese cascade and my timer - oh yeah and my beer.

Will update when in the cube I reckon...

PB

I'm just gunna make some boring pale ales.

When my chinook is ready to be harvested I'll be using the chink cascade as a bittering and flavouring hop, with Chinook flavour and aroma and dry hop.

That's provided the straight cascade isn't feral.

Between kids bathtime, cooking the BBQ for dinner and cracking grain it was it a bit of a stretch but I'm on a mission tonight. :p

I'll be sitting by the pot with my jug of chinese cascade and my timer - oh yeah and my beer.

Will update when in the cube I reckon...

PB

Geez your hard-core PB.
(I just got pissed and watched Dr Who)

I've just polished off the last of the keg of XXX that you guys didn't drink and I've forgotten where I've put my hops :huh:

I got pissed and cooked a pizza... Oh, right, didn't make to to chappo's in body, but in spirit... :ph34r:

I'm gonna brew a crap-load of beers, and not worry too much about using "too many" hops. At worst, I'll be good for bittering hops for at least the next 12 years :p

Cheers

I think I saw some hops in your car?

I think I saw some hops in your car?
Yes that's another problem, I've forgotten where I parked. :huh:

Edit: ah now I remember, I parked on the wharf where the Chinese bound ships come in. She'll be right - I'll check if it's still there in the morning.

I think for me it will come down to whatever quality the hops arrive as. If they're terrible they're going in to a brown paper bag and being turned in to aged hops for my lambics.

Yes that's another problem, I've forgotten where I parked. :huh:

Edit: ah now I remember, I parked on the wharf where the Chinese bound ships come in. She'll be right - I'll check if it's still there in the morning.

Shouldn't be hard - there's only 1 "wharf" near Bribie manor.
Gee I'm glad I didn't drive home - I'm surprised you weren't knocked out by hop fumes. B)
On topic - The bloody Cascade was smelling great, maybe a IPA is due.

Latest posts

Back