What Glass Bottle to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickage

Reaction score
I would like some glass bottles what is recommended?

Do I just buy some beers from bottle shop and drink them then refill?

Thanks

if I were to bottle more than the half dozen or so after filling a keg, id look at swing tops only because im lazy as f**k, fyi currently using PET and wont be changing anytime soon.

Rickage said:
I would like some glass bottles what is recommended?

Do I just buy some beers from bottle shop and drink them then refill?

Thanks
Brown, not clear, sturdy and crown seal preferable. Coopers longnecks fit the bill perfectly.
However there are a variety of others and twist tops will work too.
PET bottles are good for ease of use (get coopers or other designed specifically for hb - uv light turns beer off very quickly). Long term storage (12+ months) may be an issue with PET.

Thanks for the feedback I currently have PET bottles but would like some glass bottles

Will have a look at the Coopers longnecks

If you have a craft beer bar around you ask if you could grab a few empties from them. Then just take them soak them in home brand napisan which cleans and de-labels them and then just rinse them and store. Then when you're ready to use them they just need sanitising and you're good to go! Also, most bottles from craft beer bars are crown instead of twist which is great

I recently scored some swing tops from a mate, so much easier at bottling time.

If they are out of the light are there any other negatives?

also - get some sodium percarbonate rather than napisan, you don't have to use as much and it is unscented. It is the active ingredient in napisan (30% in most of them)

I recently scored some swing tops off a mate, so much easier at bottling time.

If they are out of the light are there any other negatives?
No but do you have a darkroom?

I've only just bottled a tripel in the swing tops and put them down there, now I am second guessing my decision to use them.

Green will offer some protection - more than clear, less than brown.

UV light isn't much good for anything remaining stable - in particular with beer, it oxidises components in the hops, resulting in unpleasant flavours.

Get a glass of hoppy beer and leave it in full sun for a day (bit of glad wrap over the top).

It you're worried about light, just put em in a cardboard box. Easy.

There are two types of glass bottles. The first are those that are not meant to be reused. These are cheaper and the major breweries use them. The second are bottles that are designed to be reused and are stronger.

I believe the Coopers 750ml bottles are the reusable type, so perfect for homebrewing.

I have a large collection of 500ml Sanpelgrino sparkling mineral water bottles. They're green, but I store my beer in a darkish room and I've never observed light-struck off flavours. I also have a large collection of champers bottles which are great too, though you need different crowns and a different bell on your capper. Or a corker, which I also have. ;-)

T.

fwiw grolsch swing tops here plus a few little creatures 330ml? style ones plus a few odds and sods - stored once full in pantry, I like to have a couple of clear ones for eye-balling. some of the grolschees are years old and to this day the seals have not been changed. if you bulk prime then they rock, after use wash the seal and bottle under hot water, store use when ever... no bugs so far here, I keep stock of the others for giving away

if you know someone at a pub or someone that knows someone, they may put bottles aside for you into a separate bin with a bag, you could supply. I did it once upon a time and the crew sussed me out and ended up picking out just 330 ml micro-brewery style crown top stubs. I was too scared to ask directly if they would go that far but with so many it was a natural question I spose... only took a couple of weeks to get enough.

cheers

My LHBS has strong 640ml glass bottles, 20 for $20.90

Latest posts

Back