What Glass Bottle to use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coopers long necks for sure. Lucky SA have the pickaxe bottle (have to pay a bit for them now) - have about 300 of these, some over 30 years old.

grott said:
Coopers long necks for sure. Lucky SA have the pickaxe bottle (have to pay a bit for them now) - have about 300 of these, some over 30 years old.
Yep. I picked up my Pickaxes off Gumtree for 50 cents a pop. Indestructible. In that mix was a few CUB bottles from the same era. So Rickage, being in Melbourne, maybe check Gumtree for some old school CUB bottles.

Slightly of topic with no intentional highjack but....

Got around 100 little creatures 330ml crown bottles to give away to anyone in the Newcastle area....wouldn't say no to a bottle of your finest in return though.

Cheers Bill

I have 90 grolsh bottles for sale $90

send me a message if interested

Greystanes area

If you are into stubbie sized bottles and buy the odd carton from the bottlo, a lot of the BUL offerings seem to come in crown bottles not twist tops. Just bought a box of Carlsberg (Coopers) for a reasonable $40 and it comes in nicely sculptured green crown tops.

It's worth mentioning that modern bottles are meant to be filled once. After a while they will weaken. I remember reading somewhere, pretty sure here, that a thin layer of plastic is coated over the thin glass to strengthen it. You can tell if your bottle is solid glass by rubbing it against another and if it is rough and not smooth then you have a real bottle. It's' like checking pearls on your teeth :blink:

I have tried the above test and it works as stated.

I always used little creatures pint bottles. Taste better to me than coopers when you're drinking 150 of them. They also give you exactly one full schooner and a bit left over for dregs. Fit a whole batch perfectly in one milk crate (32) as well

Coopers longnecks and James Squire stubbies.

I like the Mountain Goat rarebreed and similar craft bottles. 650ml bottles

image27-224x300.jpg

Far as I can tell, they're the same bottles that you get at the LHBS, but the beer is nice :)

Course, you'd need to drink a bit... start collecting now ;)

Those Hook Norton pint sized bottles are great when they come on special for $3-4 each. Damn tasty too.

Camo6 said:
Those Hook Norton pint sized bottles are great when they come on special for $3-4 each. Damn tasty too.
And they're fun and games taking that front label off :D

500mL european bottles like Weihenstephaner are pretty good. Easy pour into a pint glass, designed to be refilled - some definitely look like they've been reused. Labels come off easily with some napisan.

mkj said:
500mL european bottles like Weihenstephaner are pretty good. Easy pour into a pint glass, designed to be refilled - some definitely look like they've been reused. Labels come off easily with some napisan.
Yeah, agree. I have cartons upon cartons of Weihenstephaner bottles.

I have used San Pellegrino (500mL) crown seals and they are quite ok as long as they are out of the light.

I would not recommend Burleigh bottles as they are just a little bit too thin. They look great and great beer but unfortunately should probably go straight into the recycling.

Cheap champagne bottles are great too, you just need tirage caps (29mm vs 22mm) and a tirage bell for your capper.

"you just need tirage caps (29mm vs 22mm) and a tirage bell for your capper."
I've been brewing for decades & never heard of these; mind explaining?

"you just need tirage caps (29mm vs 22mm) and a tirage bell for your capper."
I've been brewing for decades & never heard of these; mind explaining?

They are caps that are a larger diameter usually used for champagne bottles.
Grain and Grape sell them and a suitable capper.
I'm sure sponsors here have them too.

Edit: Craftbrewer sell the caps and a replacement capper bell :)

Latest posts

Back