What Do You Drive?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st car - '86 Toyota corona. Suprisingly great fun! RWD, 2.4L EFI in a tiny tin box... plenty of fun until it was STOLEN and everything stripped out of it. They even pulled the RM Williams sticker off the back window! Was the only car i'd had insured for theft too..
so, then it was:
Holden HX Ute what a bewdy!
Ford Spectron Van named: van morrison. Bought for $400 on ebay - Painted it bright red, drove it to Melbourne and cracked the head, fixed, sold for $2500.. I hope its still out there.. so much fun.
VS Statesman.. Its a long story, but I lost over $2000 on the sale of this one. I hope the asshole that ripped me off got what was coming to him. Prick.
TF Gemini bought from a guy down the street. 2L engine and a ridiculous sports exhaust. Blew smoke like a diesel tractor. It felt like driving a go kart.
'87 Toyota 4Runner Named: Fifi. I loved this car! By far my favourite. Had a fibreglass roof that you could take off with the help of a mate. Fifi would run topless as often as possible. Loved it to bits. Sold a couple of months ago due to her falling apart and I couldnt afford the repairs so it was a situation of sell now, or watch her disintegrate around me.. sad day.

Now I have a VR commodore wagon. boring, but it has aircon and keeps the water off my head :)

1st car was a 87 2.4L diesel 2x4 hilux. Took some abuse that little ute and kept on trucking
Pattsy_Smokin.jpg

2nd and still current a 02 Holden Rodeo (Isuzu) 3L turbo diesel 4x4. These are much tougher than people give credit and excelent for beach work and pulling around the bike.
100_0947.JPG

Nice Tony, but I prefer mine

View attachment 43291

mmmmmm i looked at the lancers but i just couldnt like the look of them. They are nice cars....... dont get me wrong, but i prefered the WRX..... and the sound it makes :)

I looked at the Mazda MPS but torque steer was an issue, lots of power and only front wheel drive, they have had to electronicly limit the torque in first gear to try and cure it....... result - Slower = FAIL!

Also looked at the VW Golf (was too small) and the XR5 turbo but it was a ford (im a holden boy), and the styling was a tad dated. They just look like a ford focus

Im vary VERY happy with it. Driving my old V8 VS Ute..... every second person in a newer SS, XR6 or 8 etc wanted to run you and im no street racer....... if in safe suroundings where noone else was at risk.... i could keep up but never really had a hope.

NOW....... well :) seems people have a bit of respect for that whale shark like mouth on the bonet! Come up behind, linger at 60 in the 60 zone heading into 100 on the highway...... XR8 in front.....looks in the mirrors, and nope... put put put, waits for me to pass then speeds up behind me. Wont even have a go :)

Very nice Tony but how are you going to pick up a fridge with it?

Borrow my mum and dads 4WD and trailer :)

I will miss my ute sooooooooooooooo much though. It has been such a wonderfull vehicle for the last 11 or 12 years, and still is.

Its part of me now and its gunna hurt to sell it.

one and only car, its just had a few incarnations.
1st incarnation: stock 1972 sbug with 1600 big bore kit.
2nd incarnation: after i wrote the other one off, i acquired a new body and rebuilt him the way i wanted. red, mean and speaking softly with a big stick
custom interior with a 2L t4 motor with a mild cam. now has had the exhaust done and dellortos
this thing will cruise all day at 110km/h. i wouldnt trade it for the world

In my youth I owned one of these,

XB.jpg

No the last of the inteceptors, but a genuine black XB GT coupe.

When I got older I had one of these,

myzx.jpg

But had to sell it when I got married.

Now I have a 7 seat Captiva that is probably more thirst than both.

cheers

Browndog

In my youth I owned one of these,

View attachment 43317

Not the last of the inteceptors, but a genuine black XB GT coupe.

Now I have a 7 seat Captiva that is probably more thirst than both.

Im a holden boy but Black XB coupe's make me a tad weak at the knees :rolleyes:

Captiva..... rode in a couple....... Shit car!

Ralliart yes?

Um it's an Evo, dude :p

mmmmmm i looked at the lancers but i just couldnt like the look of them. They are nice cars....... dont get me wrong, but i prefered the WRX..... and the sound it makes :)

Yes the boxer engine makes a great sound but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) And please, it's not a "lancer" in the same way your wrx is not an "impreza" ;)

Curse this thread reminding me that I haven't played with my go cart for nearly a year.

I think I will put a 4EFTE in it when I get back to Aus... like all the cool kids are doing.

brick.jpg

brick2.jpg

1st car was a HR Prem. Awesome even with no AC
2nd was an EA Falcon
3rd was a VN HSV 8plus. My favouite until some non reflectives decided they liked it more than me. The high speed chase through Perth was the first news story on every channel that night.
4th Hilux dual cab
5th Mazda MX6 kindly given to me by the inlaws. Still have it parked in the garage. It's my oversized gokart
6th Ford G6 50th Ann. Work car so another freeby. Not really a Ford lover but these are better than the previous models.

Cheers, Mat.

These were 2 of my favourites. Not mine in the photos, just some photos I found on the web.
The Imp (same colour, but mine had a white roof) had few mods to the motor and suspension and would shit all over most Minis. Rear wheel drive was a bonus as well.
The Capri (same colour as photo) sadly got written off when a power pole jumped out in front of me after a day on the booze at the car races in my late teens . Broke the concrete pole and was still drivable, but wasnt worth fixing.

Went through a few different holdens after them, but now I havent owned a car for about 15 years now, just company cars.

imp.jpg

ford_capri_orange_2_1974.jpg

First car - 1968 Triumph Herald
Present car bought last week 2008 Ford Focus titanium

1st car - '86 Toyota corona. Suprisingly great fun! RWD, 2.4L EFI in a tiny tin box...
Yeah baby my first car was the 82l corona manual rwd. Replaced just about everything under the hood incl the engine and it went like the clappers. Then some ******* hit me and wrote it off and busted the audio gear that was in the boot (10disk cd stacker and 12sub.

So Bought the ltd edition 84? Corona and transferred all the engine gear over to the new one. Awsome cars

Sold that when my parents were selling their 1990 Toyota wide body camry station wagon. It had done less than 10,000 km a year. Great car. Smooth ride, lots of room, cheap to run and service. When I got married we only needed one car and the missus won and got to keep her Mazda 323. Sucky decision

Then got rid of the Mazda when the kids came and bought a 2006 RAV 4. Classic Toyota. Does the job. Reliable cheap to run and service, lots of room etc.

My other car for the last 3yrs is a motorbike.

1st car - Corona 1982? with the Holden Starfire engine - rusted out before it died , then to a Holden Astra 1988

Then I started working with the blue oval and have since leased every model available except the Transit ... currently its a "have this cheap we cant sell them" Focus hatch. My favourite would be the latest Fiesta... I will have the Econetic version in a few weeks.

Rode bikes for many years also .... GPX250, then CBR1000, then Aprilia Pegaso 650 ... then I got married and had kids :) :(

First car was 1 1968 Mercury Cyclone. I owned a LOT of cars when I lived in USA. I had Cadillacs, Huge 4X4's, A dodge RAM 4X4, etc.. maybe two dozen or so, but the best was a 1970 Camaro that I built a 425hp small block for. Since I moved here I have had a few more cars, including an MX5, an MGF, a Triton, and right now I have a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro.

First car, a 1971 HG ingswoo Station Wagon in Telecom (i.e. babyshit) beige.

holden_1971_hg_kinswood_wagon_4.jpg

The "K" and the "d" had fallen off the badge on the side. Asthmatic 2.6 lt straight six, clunky 3 on the tree gearbox, bench seats, but god, I loved my first car in a way only young men growing up in outer south-eastern suburbs can understand.

Favourite car was probably the HZ Statesman SL/E

10642851.jpg

You didn't drive this beast so much as just point the tiller in the general direction you wanted to go just like the QEII. The 5 lt V8 sounded mean, and it used to go pretty well considering the bulk it had to haul. Selling this was a very, very sad day.

Nowadays, I've been to forced into a bog-standard, family-compliant, Commondore :(

Um it's an Evo, dude :p

Yes the boxer engine makes a great sound but beauty is in the eye of the beholder :) And please, it's not a "lancer" in the same way your wrx is not an "impreza" ;)

Evo, niiice. been seing alot of the Ralliarts on the roads as well. they seem to be a big seller and look almost identical on the nose/bonnet propfile. (hence my Q.) :icon_cheers:

My first car in the UK was a Berkeley three wheeler, identical to this one:
You could drive them on a motor bike licence. They are now changing hands for up to $7000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Engine was an excelsior talsiman twin two stroke - favourite mod was to drop in a big motorbike engine (Triumph ?????) and then they would go like a mini cooper.

Last edited by a moderator:
First car was a HT Belmont ute. Started a resto on it and then binned it - way too much tin worm.
Next car was a HQ Belmont ute. Spent years stripping ever nut and bolt and last bit of paint off it in my teens between getting trash bagged and school. It now sits on the shelf in the storage area here at work in undercoat after being sand blasted. One day it'll get a big block chev dumped in it just cause I can. Been collecting parts. Just a matter of getting A into G
Then cause the 'Q wasnt going to be finished in time for me to drive whn I got my P's I bought a VL station wagon. SL factory turbo, 5 speed manual sitting stock height. Looked like shit went like stink. Got done by officer radar eyes for approximately 120-130 in an 80 zone. I was pretty chuffed with that because when I saw the cop and slammed on the skids I remember watching the speedo go back down past 180!
Then I was driving around in a 1986 rangie that I stuck on its lid - it was dads car and I did it on dads birthday - happy birthday dad. I remember walking out through the windscreen and thinking "how the hell did I get out". Had a 283 Chev in it and typical rangie floated all over the road - which is partially the reason why it ended on its lid. The other part was due to me going too fast (I had a heavy right foot in my younger days)
Then it was two feet and a heart beat hauling my arse around for nearly 18 months. after the incident in the VL eventually caught upto me and the courts took my licence.
Then it was back into another rangie till I bought my own car (yep dad was stupid enough to let me drive another of his cars)
Then it was an 86 (from memory) mazda 626 coupe. Man that car was a shit box that guzzled fuel - but also one of my favorite cars.
Then I got company cars D22 navara tray back
Then an MG ZT-T 190+
and now I drive an '01 GU series II 4.2TD rolling along on 33" Mickey T MTZ's building it up for touring. So far its hauled mine and my missus bums around most of victoria, across SA, along the coast of southen WA from perth down and up the west coast of tassie as well as a number of weekend trips wheeling and getting the old bus dirty.
Next I want a VE sports wagon for the missus... We'll have to wait and see what my next car allowance is though...

My first car in the UK was a Berkeley three wheeler, identical to this one:
You could drive them on a motor bike licence. They are now changing hands for up to $7000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Engine was an excelsior talsiman twin two stroke - favourite mod was to drop in a big motorbike engine (Triumph ?????) and then they would go like a mini cooper.

Jeremy Clarkson drove a three wheeler on Top gear one night and kept rolling it, it was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages.

Jeremy Clarkson drove a three wheeler on Top gear one night and kept rolling it, it was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages.

It was probably a , which were inherently unstable as the single wheel on the front was the steering wheel as well. The Berkeley rear single wheel was just a trailing wheel. :)

Latest posts

Back