What Brewing Software Do You Use And Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeastie Beastie

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing some brewing software to use with AG brewing.

Promash, Beersmith and Beer Tools are the three that I am interested in and I want some advice as to which one is the most user friendly option.

In your opinion which is the best to suit your needs and why?

i use beer alchemy but im a mac user.
come to the good side

Promash cause its tops!

BeerAlchemy. The features continue to amaze me every time I find them (like the 'period brewed' history!)

Cheers

i looked at promash but liked the interface and features of beersmith so i went with that... just download the free trials and give em a go

More than happy with BeerSmith here.

Plus they have an online forum to give you any help you need.

Beersmith here, bit of a pleb when it comes to the puter but i manage to work it out ok

Beersmith here, bit of a pleb when it comes to the puter but i manage to work it out ok

I think you just hit the nail on the head there Yardy.

I tried beersmith when i was shopping around like you Yeasty, and it works just fine..... the same as Promash works fine.

Promash can be a bit scary at first, its a bit more involved, but thats what i want. I like in depth and complex stuff to play with. Its more difficult, but more powerfull. If you want something a bit simpler up front... try beersmith.

Promash can be scary at first but if you take the time to read the help files on how to use all the functions, its awsome. It just takes a bit more effort to learn... thats all.

Both will work fine, its down to which will suit you and your level of keenness and computer literacy.

Get the free dowloads of both and give them both a go. Decide on one and run with it.

cheers

I downloaded both and found them pretty much the same. I went with BS because the ProMash agent here [jovial monk] said there hadnt been any ProMash updates since '03-'04. I'm happy with BS, once you work out your way around it it's excellent :chug:

After spending my afternoon playing around with Promash & Beersmith (and bottling a brew lol) I think they are pretty much on par with each other and both have a good help section for people like me who have had nothing to do with these programmes before.

Although I think I will go with Beersmith as it seems to be a bit less complex but still give much the same overall statistics etc in the finish.

Guess ill just see how I go with it.

Thanks for all your help.

I own both, even helped in the development of the last ProMash version on the testing team a few years ago. They are both good, useful programs.

The ProMash interface seems to be a little overwhelming at first, but when switching to Beersmith I experienced the same feeling. I feel that Beersmith takes less time to get used to, though.

Beersmith has two advantages over ProMash.

First, it is in active development and support by its creator(s). The creator of ProMash seems to have disappeared from public contact. So if you lose your registration information, or need some other assistance, you may not get any help for ProMash. You will for Beersmith.

Second, they have useful forums to get help from other people as well as the Beersmith people, who often jump in and help there.

Some things seem to be easier to do in ProMash, some in Beersmith, but they both have so many features you would be served well by either program. Both are available as tril download versions, so try them both. At least ProMash, after the trial period is over with, will retain some useful utilities, so you may want to keep the trial version even after it expires if yo go with Beersmith.

So if you lose your registration information, or need some other assistance, you may not get any help for ProMash. You will for Beersmith.

IF you lose your registration key, you can get it back easily. Even if you have changed you email address, you will still be able to retrieve your registration code.

I use Promash, because it was the the most popular and maybe the only brewing software around when I started and now that I am used to it, I have no reason to change.

It nearly does everything I want, about the only annoying bit, is the malt, hop, yeast etc databases are out of date and it is pain in the arse to track down the specifications and enter them.

maltcraft released a database for the malts available in Aust about 7-10 years ago, but it has gone out of date as well. I just manually add mine and try and keep on top of my new purchases.

+1 for Beer Engine

Simple but easy to use, last update was in 2008, has useful calculators and a nice recipe and journal printouts. Give it a go, it's free.

Not sure if I can link directly but it can be found at 'practical brewing dot co dot uk'.

When i got Promash...... about 6 years ago i found beersmith a bit lacking in comparison.

But its true Promash has not had upgrades and there seems to be no support anymore. I too have to look up malt specs and enter them manually. Same with hops.... there are lots of new varieties out there now days that have to be researched and entered manually.

There seems to be an overwhelming swing towards Beersmith, compared to years ago when Promash was all the go (because it offered more) Perhaps the tables have turned.

Im tempted to grab a copy of beersmith and give it a go.

cheers

+1 for Beer Engine

Simple but easy to use, last update was in 2008, has useful calculators and a nice recipe and journal printouts. Give it a go, it's free.

Not sure if I can link directly but it can be found at 'practical brewing dot co dot uk'.

Hadn't heard of Beer Engine before but I have found it for anyone else who is interested too. It is free software but the site says to remember it is a work in progress so it may have a few small glitches but I am still going to try it out regardless.

FREE Beer Engine Software Download

IF you lose your registration key, you can get it back easily. Even if you have changed you email address, you will still be able to retrieve your registration code.

Kirem,

How do I do that?

cheers

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back