What Brewing Software Do You Use And Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally prefer beersmith. I just prefer the interface to promash, which seems about 15 years out of date to me. I've heard they both work fine on Linux through Wine. I know Beersmith does. As a former software developer, I make a point of supporting the developers of software like this. A fair amount of effort has gone into it, and they deserve to be reimbursed for that.

I personally prefer beersmith. I just prefer the interface to promash, which seems about 15 years out of date to me. I've heard they both work fine on Linux through Wine. I know Beersmith does. As a former software developer, I make a point of supporting the developers of software like this. A fair amount of effort has gone into it, and they deserve to be reimbursed for that.

Here Here..

I use promash until about a year ago when I changed to Vista.

Couldn't get it to work but it didn't really bother me as I know my system fairly well.

However, I downloaded the trial version as GLS suggested and wholla, promash works again (for how long Im not sure).

Thanks GLS

I use promash until about a year ago when I changed to Vista.
However, I downloaded the trial version , promash works again (for how long Im not sure).

Yeh, I recon there are a lot of us out there using the original and last version - 1.8a, and thinking its the latest. As I said, I had used mine religiously since 2003, BUT it was a 16 bit application, useless on 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.

What has thrown us is they have upgraded Promash to a 32 bit system, which works in both these systems, BUT didn't change the version number on the website, its still 1.8a.

So everytime we have looked on the website, we think "hey, they haven't changed Promash." But they had, and protocol would have dictated a change in version number, at least 1.8b if nothing else.

You wonder how many people are out there, thinking promash is no good, all because they are still using the old 16 bit application, thinking its the latest.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"
http://radio.craftbrewer.org
organisor of the Great Chinese Hop Buy

Yeh, I recon there are a lot of us out there using the original and last version - 1.8a, and thinking its the latest. As I said, I had used mine religiously since 2003, BUT it was a 16 bit application, useless on 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.

What has thrown us is they have upgraded Promash to a 32 bit system, which works in both these systems, BUT didn't change the version number on the website, its still 1.8a.

So everytime we have looked on the website, we think "hey, they haven't changed Promash." But they had, and protocol would have dictated a change in version number, at least 1.8b if nothing else.

You wonder how many people are out there, thinking promash is no good, all because they are still using the old 16 bit application, thinking its the latest.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"

Insert ( HANDS OVER MY EARS SMILEY)

No, protocol dictates that a version number is only incremented on software changes. A recompile for different hardware/operating system is not a software change, and does not require a version number increment. It is the same version, just compiled for a new system.

No, protocol dictates that a version number is only incremented on software changes. A recompile for different hardware/operating system is not a software change, and does not require a version number increment. It is the same version, just compiled for a new system.

Thats why I suggested something like version 1.8b. The version number hasn't changed, BUT it indicated a change in something that is worth investigating, like going from a 16 bit to 32 bit applicaqtion. thats normal stuff.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"

I could have sworn Townsville had another post here a few seconds ago.... And it was derogatory.

I may have a piece of software or two that I have not paid for, but none that I use regularly... those are all paid for.

And I would never post publicly that I posess pirated software, use it all the time and regularly distribute it....

This changes my stand on the chinese hop purchase.

If Townsville is organising it... I am out.

I could have sworn Townsville had another post here a few seconds ago.... And it was derogatory.

I may have a piece of software or two that I have not paid for, but none that I use regularly... those are all paid for.

And I would never post publicly that I has pirated software, use it all the time and regularly distribute it....

This changes my stand on the chinese hop purchase.

If Townsville is organising it... I am out.

He did, and while I am at it, if you guys knew what went on with Chappo missing out on his hops you would all have a very different opinion of Mr Sanders.

cheers

Browndog

wasn't derogratory - I basically said, All I do is help other Craftbrewers who have helped me, and - take me as I am

thats all

beats me why it was pulled.

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"

wasn't derogratory - I basically said, take me as I am

thats all

So why did you remove it? OK, so it was removed by a moderator?

Maybe because it plainly stated that you distribute illegal copies of software... which can get you landed in prison?

Just an idea...

I guess it was pulled because offering stolen goods (for profit or not) is against forum guidelines.

you gotta type quick around here :)

its the quick or the dead.

The post that was pulled didn't offer any such thing actually

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"

edit - Actually think I found the problem. I used a quote from Ross that mentions pirated software - thats probably where the problem lies. My post looks actually ok. so my post is ok on its own, its the refering quote causing the problem.

its the quick or the dead.

The post that was pulled didn't offer any such thing actually

Craftbrewer
Graham L Sanders
skype "Craftbrewer"

edit - Actually think I found the problem. I used a quote from Ross that mentions pirated software - thats probably where the problem lies. My post looks actually ok. so my post is ok on its own, its the refering quote causing the problem.

Ah..... so when you said you gave away copies of beersmith, promash etc etc to brewers you actually paid for every license yourself?

Well, if it helps, I have the offending post in my email box... I won't post it as I assume it was removed for a reason, but I can say that it did not say anything about offering software.... (although a previous post did mention that he would give it to anyone that wanted it... under the assumption that he is helping fellow brewers. Well, I'm pretty sure that the developers of promash and beersmith are also brewers, and ripping them off by illegally distributing their intellectual property does them no favours).

I guess we all got it wrong then Bonj. I read it the way it was typed.

Probably best to quit talking about it now....

I thought I had posted here....

That said, I made comment to the sub-topic whose name shall not be spoken...

To repeat the useful part of that post.

I have used beersmith since I went AG, works great for me personally, I'd love a few other tiny features, like being able to just enter the brix value for the OG, instead of having to click to another section to convert, remember that number and click back to the recipe.....

That and I want the style of graph someone posted in the "brewing totals" thread, simply so I could easily track much grain/hops/yeast I am using per month....

But given that's my biggest complaints, it shows that I quite enjoy beersmith. Although I was playing with some piece of software on Vital Statistix's iphone while I was at a brewday at his place recently, can't remember the name but it was nearly enough for me to consider an iphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back