What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely do the 100% Munich lager.

I'm looking at doing a similar thing in a month or so, so I'd be keen to hear how yours turns out [emoji1]
(Mine is more like 70% Munich, 20% pils, 5% melanoiden, 5% biscuit). Using tett + Hall mitt.

I did a 70% Munich, 30% Vienna lager with a touch of carafa special 3. Hallertau at the start and the end of the boil. It was a cracking beer.

Not the answer you were looking for but for a reddish ipa (with Manipulation through some crystal and a of tiny bit of roasted) 70% Munich is delicious. Leans on English in malt flavour but lovely regardless.* has got to be one of my favourite malts. I really need to try the darker Munich for comparison. Red X also an excellent malt (blend).

I tend to prefer malt and yeast driven beers.

So Im going with the all Munich lager. Magnum and Saaz to 35 IBU's. Adding any thing else would defeat the purpose. Ive done plenty of hop experiments so time to explore some malts. Ill see if I have time for an over hopped IPA as well.

I did actually consider getting some red x to give it a go in a 100% but I was low on munich so decided on this instead.

Just mashed in a brown ale with brett:

75% Pale (mix of JW Trad and Loughran Stout)
9% Wheat
9% Gladfield Supernova
3% Gladfield Brown
3% Pale Chocolate
~1% Briess Midnight Wheat

Shooting for an OG of 1.045:

Mash: 68/72/76 for 45/15/5

Hops will be EKG FWH and Styrians WP for 28 IBU.

Primary ferment with Wyeast 1275 and Brett C. Whiskey soaked american oak in keg. Will leave keg warm for a month or so to let the brett C have a bit of a party before carbonating and consuming.

Stout.
Maris, brown, black, choc, roast, aurora and a shade of crystal.
Cold steeped roast malts overnight, added to final 10 mins of mash. Hopped with fuggles and challenger.

WL british ale

enoch said:
...Both 50-55 litre to the fermenters and have clarity ferm to reduce gluten for my coeliac friends.
i've been wondering what others' experiences were with clarity ferm for the gluten reduction. do your coeliac friends have no issues with those beers?

edit: woops, just read your follow up posts. all good! :D

Double brew day. Second brew:

80% Simpsons maris otter
10% Bestmalz wheat
5% Gladfield toffee
5% Golden naked oats

EKG at FWH for 10IBU, Galaxy and Nelson in the cube for 20IBU. Mashed at 65. OG: 1.047

And a coffee chocolate porter today to make it 3 brews for the week.
150 litres should see me through for a while. Need more parties.

Wish I could brew a simple brew.

Instead, heady topper clone. Sort of. Except my eff was much higher than estimated so I ended up winging it.

Kettle Vol: 51 L
OG: 1.078
FG: ~1.016
IBUs: Who the **** knows.

15.5kg TFFM Pearl Malt
1.15kg Carahell
1.00kg Wheat

Mashed at 68 with:
8g CaCl
4g MgSO4
60g CaSO4

100 IBU worth of magnum at 60min

Whirlpool additions at 80degC:
144g Apollo
75g Centennial
56g Columbus
66g Comet
180g Simcoe
110g Amarillo
120g Citra

Yeah. That was a ******* 3/4kg whirlpool addition in a 90L kettle. Talk about the slowest ******* cube / FV drain ever.

This'll get a shit load of dry hop and another dose in the keg. Because this is is about the hops. So much the hops. And Vermont IPA yeast. Hazy like a hefe, hoppy like DIPA. Because of all the reasons.

mofox1 said:
Wish I could brew a simple brew.

Instead, heady topper clone. Sort of. Except my eff was much higher than estimated so I ended up winging it.

Kettle Vol: 51 L
OG: 1.078
FG: ~1.016
IBUs: Who the **** knows.

15.5kg TFFM Pearl Malt
1.15kg Carahell
1.00kg Wheat

Mashed at 68 with:
8g CaCl
4g MgSO4
60g CaSO4

100 IBU worth of magnum at 60min

Whirlpool additions at 80degC:
144g Apollo
75g Centennial
56g Columbus
66g Comet
180g Simcoe
110g Amarillo
120g Citra

Yeah. That was a ******* 3/4kg whirlpool addition in a 90L kettle. Talk about the slowest ******* cube / FV drain ever.

This'll get a shit load of dry hop and another dose in the keg. Because this is is about the hops. So much the hops. And Vermont IPA yeast. Hazy like a hefe, hoppy like DIPA. Because of all the reasons.
~750g for 2 cubes? Wowzers!

If you like hazy beer, give WLP644 Sacc Brux Trios (it's the strain that WL used to think was brett but turned out to be sacc) a go. I made a hoppy farmhouse somethingorother ale with it. It ferments really slowly and I dry hopped (~7g/L) after 2 weeks and the thing clouded up like pulpy orange juice - still had about 6 points of gravity to go.

No amount of cold crashing or gelatin could get that thing to clear up - perfect if that's what you are after. It also added a slight character that complemented a heavy hop forward beer and wasn't really "farmhousey" at all.

mofox1 said:
Wish I could brew a simple brew.Instead, heady topper clone. Sort of. Except my eff was much higher than estimated so I ended up winging it.Kettle Vol: 51 LOG: 1.078FG: ~1.016IBUs: Who the **** knows.15.5kg TFFM Pearl Malt1.15kg Carahell1.00kg WheatMashed at 68 with:8g CaCl4g MgSO460g CaSO4100 IBU worth of magnum at 60minWhirlpool additions at 80degC:144g Apollo75g Centennial56g Columbus66g Comet180g Simcoe110g Amarillo120g CitraYeah. That was a ******* 3/4kg whirlpool addition in a 90L kettle. Talk about the slowest ******* cube / FV drain ever.This'll get a shit load of dry hop and another dose in the keg. Because this is is about the hops. So much the hops. And Vermont IPA yeast. Hazy like a hefe, hoppy like DIPA. Because of all the reasons.

**** I'd love to taste that beast.

shacked said:
~750g for 2 cubes? Wowzers!
That's before the 200g dry hop for each fv too... And the keg hop.

Should have seen the compact hop "cake" at the bottom of the kettle after draining... Was about 5cm deep... took so damn long to drain... If (when) I do this again I'm going to need some other way to separate the hop material.

Special call out to Mardoo for the preparation collaboration, was meant to be a collaborative brew but just didn't/couldn't happen for a variety of reasons.

Kudos to Midnight brew for the pearl malt, should be on tap in a couple of weeks. ;)

spryzie said:
Thinking a Black IPA. 21 litres. Extract. Lazy quick boil.
2 x cooper's 1.5kg LME.
500g LDME
500g sugar
Steeped grains:
500g roasted barley (cold steeped)
250g chocolate and 125g dark crystal (at mash temperatures)
50g Columbus @ 10.
50g Amarillo @ 10.
Same again @ 0.
Something like 70+ IBUs? Partial boil of the LDME only in the trusty big w pot.
Crazy?
Visited the shop on the way home and am currently bringing up to boil.

Black IPA. 21 litres. Extract. 1061 OG 1015 FG (estimated). 6% ABV.

1 x cooper's 1.5kg LME.
1.7kg LDME
300g dextrose

Steeped grains:
250g carafa 3 (cold steeped)
500g munich, 150g chocolate and 100g dark crystal (at mash temperatures)

100g Columbus @ 15.
100g Amarillo @ 5.

Something like 60 IBUs.

Thanks to the HDA going away party I put down a pale ale today. It was too cold so I had to wear pants. I hope this doesn't negatively affect my beer in any way. Time will tell...

Pale Ale

95% Pilsner
5% Crystal

Early northern brewer, late comet and lots of it.

All good carry on and stuff...

Refrac tells me I have 25 litres at 1.056 I think the beer gods are trying to tell me which yeast to throw at this...

Nah 1764... Not sure I'll be able to track any down though. May have to upset said beer gods and use something else.

Latest posts

Back