What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting my lagers on recently. this week will be a pilsner. pretty excited as it will be my first beer using o2 prior to pitching.

pilsner 95%
carapils 5%
1.045 at hmmm. not sure yet on the temp for mash. 66c?
magnum and saaz to 40ibu
big slurry overpitch of m84 at 9c
big sexy time

doing another session pale today, no wheat left

pils
caramunich 1
acidulated
oats

1.042 - 1008

columbus FWH 10% of total ibu (50ish)
reversing the late hops from last brew 3.5g/l total late hops
citra / mosaic WP
cascade / amarillo hop back
due to the higher AA of citra and mosaic - the balance will go in to hop back as well
dry-hopped with yet to be decided or purchased but around 5g/l

back to US 05 after using s-04

hey droid.

how are you using a hop back with pellets?

hey droid.

how are you using a hop back with pellets?
hey mate It's not really a hop back but I use that config in the software for calculating hop additions at sub 70dC temp
I do have a filter housing without the filter and it's got a bazooka screen inside it, which works pretty well but on big amounts of hops it's a bit sketchy as to how well the wort is picking up all the oils
this time around the hop back is just a secondary whirlpool at 70degC for another 20mins, it's picking up a small amount of IBU's and it seems to be right

any which way you can ay?

^ ahh ok. I like a good sub 75c whirlpool to really extract those oils.

the ibu contribution would not be from isomerization though right as that temp doesn't achieve such, so no calc required?

Brewers friend, can't get to PC right now.

If you go to the HOp back drop down then you can also change utilisation and temp, at 70C for 20mins at 40 % I get a few IBU's like 5 out of the 50

Not true?

Stout went down well on the weekend with a minor exception. .. I previously order pre-crushed grains but now I order them whole and try and smash them myself in the wifes Kogan. But efficiency is down .. same recipe last year 1.050 (pre-crushed) only achieved 1.044 using the Kogan ... so I'm going to have to stop being a tight arse and buy a grain mill I think or go back to ordering pre-crushed.

Also whilst the malt seems to break up alright in the Kogan the roasted grains do not (they are tough), so I had to use a mortar and pestle to get the job done.

Brewers friend, can't get to PC right now.

If you go to the HOp back drop down then you can also change utilisation and temp, at 70C for 20mins at 40 % I get a few IBU's like 5 out of the 50

Not true?

under 80c isomerization of alpha acids doesnt occur, that isn't to say you don't get anything, because we know you do, which is perceived as bitterness so using the 40% calc would be valid I say.

151 - Frohmuller Pale Ale 3

OG 1.048
FG 1.009
ABV 5.1%
IBU 33
EBC 11
Vol 19lt

77% Ale Malt
14% Vienna
5% Light Crystal
2% Rolled Oats
2% Acidulated

Mashed at 66c for 60mins / Water is burtonized to 200ppm Sulphate to 50ppm Chloride / Target pH for water is 5.4

90min Boil

Simcoe FWH = 15ibu
Amarillo / Centennial @ 10m = 18ibu
Chill to <80c and Whirlpool for 20mins, 2g/L Amarillo / Centennial

Fermented with fourth Gen WLP007 Dry English Ale yeast under 11PSI of pressure

Dry Hopped with 3g/L with Citra for about 4-5days.

:noworries:

Juice junky brew today... mashed in cold last night with everything set up ready to go in the morning. Flicked the switch at 7am, up to mash temp by 7:30am, so might be about time to actually go outside and do something.

Red Rye IPA
Vol: 46L
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.015
IBU: 72
SRM: 13.4

55.3% Gladfield American Ale
30% Rye (mix of Gladfield and Wey)
6.2% Wey CaraRed
3.2% Wey CaraRye
3.2% Gladfield Red Back
2.1% Gladfield Shepherds Delight

Mash temp of 68°C for 90. Some CaCl / CaSO4 in the mash...

~10 IBU Pride of Ringwood @ 90min
2g/L Amarillo, 2g/L Chinook Flowers & 0.8g/L NZ Cascade @ 0min for ~36 IBU

Split between two cubes for ~26 IBU each:
Cube 1 will get 1.3g/L Simcoe & 2.6g/L Citra
Cube 2 will get 1.3g/L Simcoe & 2.6g/L Galaxy

Dry hop will be the same dosage as per cubes.

Will need to check the yeast bank to see what I'll use for this... likely one of Wyeast 1217 (West Coast IPA), GigaYeast's Vermont IPA or Greenbelt.

How long do you wait before doing a whirlpool after adding the 0min hops, and then how long before adding the cube hops?

How long do you wait before doing a whirlpool after adding the 0min hops, and then how long before adding the cube hops?
Hmm depends on the brewer and if your no-chill. Some whirlpool almost immediately, whirlpool additions are generally 80c, however no-chill requires wort in the cube @ 80c or better. No-chill has the one down side of very one dimensional hopping, though there ways around this.

puting down a 150 lashes clone and a galaxy and topaz wheat beer tomorrow

My first RIS.
20 ltrs
400g Roast barley
250g Black malt
350g Light choc
300g dark crystal
100g medium crystal
9Kg of Golden promise
65c Mash for 90
140g fuggles @ 60
90 min boil
Wish me luck.[emoji106]
60372868a4a347ca5cc8aa50eeec3f2c.jpg

395c3365ca03d4d68b4ef1ac413c314a.jpg

Last edited:
I have about 15 Ltrs of last last running from this brew. It's grav is about 1.025. Question? Does it have to be boiled to save as a starter? I was thinking of fermenting it with some Wyeast Scottish ale yeast then pitching a cube of oatmeal stout onto it, then using the cake from that for the RIS? What you think gentlemen?

Yeah. That was a pretty stupid question wasn't it[emoji20]

Through a combination of bad maths, drinking and using up odd bits of grain, I've milled up 30KG for a triple batch of RIS for tomorrow (waaaay too many malts):

Stouts by three (Imperial Stout)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.089 (°P): 21.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.94 %
Colour (SRM): 49.9 (EBC): 98.3
Bitterness (IBU): 68.8 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

40% Gladfield American Ale
25.83% Golden Promise Malt
6.67% Castle Amber Malt
5.83% Gladfield Rye Malt
5.83% Gladfield Wheat Malt
3.33% IGA Cane Sugar
3.33% Gladfield Chocolate
3.33% Castle Special-B
2.33% Roasted Barley
1.67% Briess Midnight Wheat
0.83% Gladfield Light Crystal
0.67% Gladfield Brown Malt
0.33% Wey Carafa Sp I malt

1.9 g/L Super Pride (13% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
1.6 g/L Saaz (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

0.2 g/L Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

I'm doing three cubes:

1) English Yeast (+EKG in cube)
2) US05 (+Cascade in cube)
3) Belgian Yeast (+spices in cube)

I'm also planning on taking some extra runnings into the HLT (crown urn) onto a kilo of smoked malt and doing a low gravity smoked mild (of sorts).

All this on my first fathers day as a father.

Wish me luck...

Last edited:
Small recipe trial/smash later today (hopefully) with Simpsons Golden promise and Motueka. First brew with either so looking forward to trying something new.

Latest posts

Back