What are you brewing in 2017 ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Needed a keg of mild quickly to replace the cube of bitter I just started fermenting owing to a keg of Saison not lasting as long as I'd liked (SWMBO liked it, which I didn't expect).

Adjusted slightly to what I had in stock.

Mild

3.2kg Pale Ale malt
.2kg Dark Crystal
.2kg medium crystal
.1kg brown malt
.1kg Rb
.05kg Choc malt
.05kg Pale choc

25g Willamette at 60min for 25 IBU

WLP004 Irish Ale yeast, likely a repitch.

2g gypsum and 7g CaCl2

Mash 69 degrees 60m
90min boil

I'm considering doing a witbier for my local brew club's annual comp. But I'm thinking of doing it with 3711 french saison yeast. I have only used this yeast once and it reminded me of some of the best wit I have tried.

This is the BJCP text for witbier:

Aroma: Moderate malty sweetness (often with light notes of honey and/or vanilla) with light, grainy, spicy wheat aromatics, often with a bit of tartness. Moderate perfumy coriander, often with a complex herbal, spicy, or peppery note in the background. Moderate zesty, citrusy-orangey fruitiness. A low spicy-herbal hop aroma is optional, but should never overpower the other characteristics. Vegetal, celery-like, or ham-like aromas are inappropriate. Spices should blend in with fruity, floral and sweet aromas and should not be overly strong.

Flavor: Pleasant malty-sweet grain flavor (often with a honey and/or vanilla character) and a zesty, orange-citrusy fruitiness. Refreshingly crisp with a dry, often tart, finish. Can have a low bready wheat flavor. Optionally has a very light lactic-tasting sourness. Herbal-spicy flavors, which may include coriander and other spices, are common should be subtle and balanced, not overpowering. A spicy-earthy hop flavor is low to none, and if noticeable, never gets in the way of the spices. Hop bitterness is low to medium-low, and doesn’t interfere with refreshing flavors of fruit and spice, nor does it persist into the finish. Bitterness from orange pith should not be present. Vegetal, celery-like, ham-like, or soapy flavors are inappropriate.

Do you think it could work?

Yeah I'd give it a go!! The saison yeast is probably going to attenuate a fair bit more than a wit and the flocculation would be a bit more than a wit but why not.

I get a burnt orange zest flavor/aroma from 3711 (think saison du pont) and I think that'd be great in a wit grist. I find that bottled conditioned beers seem to have more of this flavor than kegged. I also get a similar character from the yeast bay Wallonian Farmhouse.

Interested to see how it goes: If you brew it, please report back!

144 - Hoppy American Wheat Ale

OG 1038
FG 1008
ABV 4%
IBU 20
EBC 7

70% BB Ale Malt
30% JW Wheat
100g Acidulated ( Target pH 5.3-5.4 )

Sulphate 150ppm, Chloride 65ppm

Mashed for 60mins @ 65c

60min Boil

Magnum @ 60mins = 5ibu

Cascade, Citra & Galaxy @ 10m = 15ibu

Fermented with US05 @ 18c

Dry Hop with 1.5g per L - Cascade, Citra & Galaxy

:)

Brewing a batch for a friends wedding in July, will be a group of mainly megaswill drinkers. So something reasonably approachable, but a bit more than just a blonde ale...

Plus it's going to be cold as ****, so I thought something malty would be appropriate. The Fortnight hop was a whimsical purchase that the brew shop reccomended to me, and will go all in the cube.

Penny Ale
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.250
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.24 %
Colour (SRM): 12.6 (EBC): 24.9
Bitterness (IBU): 36.7 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (66.67%)
0.500 kg Munich I (9.52%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (9.52%)
0.300 kg Amber Malt (5.71%)
0.300 kg Crystal 80 (5.71%)
0.100 kg Shepards Delight (1.9%)
0.050 kg Acidulated Malt (0.95%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50.0 g Fortnight Pellet (13.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.2 g/L)
20.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
2.0 g Hydrochloric @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
1.3 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.1 g Hydrochloric @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

how's the brew going neighbour? double brew day for me today. opposite ends of the spectrum: big ipa with 413grams of hops and a belgian wit. entering hour 9. feel like grating oranges??

Double Brew day tomorrow
A bookbinder clone with Motueka hops instead of riwaka
And my first real experimental brew and recipe design loosely based on on a modus operandi session ipa. This will be the first time First Wort Hopping and I will be doing a hopstand at 70 degrees as this worked really well in a previous brew. This beer is definately uncharted territory for me so we will see how it goes

how's the brew going neighbour? double brew day for me today. opposite ends of the spectrum: big ipa with 413grams of hops and a belgian wit. entering hour 9. feel like grating oranges??

That sounds like an epic mission... going with the saison yeast as above?

I was bored at work so posted this weekends brew, but won't get to it until tomorrow night!

yes going for the saison yeast. I just spilled about 300ml of a 1100ml starter which caused me to swear but I think it will be ok with this yeast strain. not long now until I pitch the spices. looks like a 12 hour brew day.

Harvest - Little IPA
Pearl 60%
Munich 30%
Rye 10%
Mashed at 70/72/78 for 40/10/10
Aprox 320g of homegrown chinook in the whirlpool, 10g FWH. Getting that freezer space back slowly. Thinking of doing an Amber Ale tomorrow with similar hop schedule.

Condensation Mayham - Amber Ale
TF MO 73.5%
Caramunich III 10%
Munich 10%
Rye 5%
Roast Barley 1.5%
Step mash 52/62/67/72/78 for 10/10/50/10/10 '
OG1045

This one is mashed waiting for a boil. Massive headaches caused by condensation on the screen controller have me mashed out, drained into buckets awaiting controller to ... de-moist. Soon as boil is reached a few flowers FWH then all Chinook homegrown in the whirlpool. Ill be glad when this one is cubed.

Karing Ale. (Ale made in Karingal). In my own customized profile - New World Ale

This is my latest favourite. I really hit a geourgeous yummy blend with this. For my liking anyway. Its like Trocical Punch Beer Nectar.
Great malt character and the hops truely are like mixed tropical fruits. Nice mouthfeel and body but with a dryish aftertaste that makes it morish.

I'm attempting to brew ~60lt when my equipment is 40lt capable. Scaled up using Beersmith. Split the brew so I get 36lt lighter beer at around 4.4% and 18lt at around 6.6%.
So Its my biggest mash of 14kg grain. Finished boil at 40lt of highish gravity. Cube 14lt with some of the hop stand addition and top up cube with hot water.
Then chill the remainder 26lt and into the kegmenter topped up with 14lt water. Total guessing the outcome gravities and fingers crossed.

76.1% Golden Promise (Pale)
5.4% Wheat Malt
5.4% Munick Dark
5.4% Crystal
5.4% Melanoiden
2.2% Acidulated

75l Esky Mash.
Infusion 50c, Infusion 62c, 2 Decoctions to 70c.
Batch Sparge 75c.

Victoria and Cascade are home grown hops.

Victoria FWH 90min = 21 IBU
Mosaic + Azacca 5 min = 8.5 IBU
50/50 Cascade: + Azacca Flame out Steep 20min = 6.6 IBU
Hop Stand @ 70c for 30min 5g/l mostly Cascade, + Mosaic + Azacca. (1/3rd of this hop bill goes into the cube for the stronger brew)

Post boil 40lt devided: 14lt into the hopped cube then top with boiling water. To make a 19lt ferment.
Remainder 26lt chilled and into kegmenter with 13lt water for 39lt ferment.
All pressure fermented and transfers.
US-05 this time but any good yeast in the world.

Last edited:
The Ides of Marzen, aka Malty McMaltface.
(~Marzen)

22L
OG = 1.056
FG = 1.012
IBU = 23
EBC = 21.5

(5kg grain)
2.4kg Munich (Viking)
2kg Vienna (Viking)
0.25kg Biscuit (Ding)
0.2kg Melanoidin (Wey) —>> had to sub for 0.36kg Aurora (Gladfields)
0.15kg Aromatic (Ding)

20g Tettnanger (4.8%) + 10g Saaz (4.6%) @FHW
10g Tettnanger +15g Saaz @20mins (cubed)

CaSO4 & CaCL2 additions to target 56ppm Ca, 55ppm SO4, 80ppm Cl2,
plus a little extra CaCl2 in the boil.

Mash: 55/65/72/78 for 5/60/20/5, then ~90mins boil.

to be dumped onto a S-189 yeast cake (3rd fermentation), fermented ~16°C.
——————————

Unfortunately i discovered i’d run out of Wey Melanoidin, then remembered i’d picked up a little freebie of Gladfields Aurora from a Merri Mashers gathering months ago (big thanks to MM & Dermott at Beer Co!). Apparently it’s meant to sub for the Wey melanoidin at a ratio of 1:1.8, so i ended up using 360g Aurora instead of the intended 200g Wey Melanoidin.
Also discovered i’d run out of MgSO4, so i increased the CaSO4 a bit to compensate. I generally prefer to add a little Mg for yeast health but hopefully this won’t make a big difference, especially considering the yeast is already ~ at full population.

This beer is (obviously!) intended to be super, super malty (but still have a balanced & dry finish). I went through a few different iterations, mainly blending the Munich & Vienna more equally with Pilsner. I ended up going with this version to see how pushing the maltiness so heavily goes. Quite likely it’ll be more balanced with the pilsner, but i’ll see how this one turns out. The 1/3rd Pilsner version will probably be the next version to try (next winter). Also, the mash schedule was abbreviated due to lack of time. The 65°C step was intended to be split between 63°C and 66°C. I’ll probably consider doing it for the next one, depending on how this one turns out.

I'm really keen to see how this goes, as the basic idea of a strongly malty lager, that's got a dry finish & not high in alc%) sounds great to me. I was a bit surprised to see how few Marzens there are out there - i would've thought a big malty lager would be more popular. Maybe Marzens tend to get "skipped" in favour of Bocks or something Or maybe i've simply been unable to find where everyone raves about their Marzens :D Anyway, hopefully it turns out as well as i hope!

The Ides of Marzen, aka Malty McMaltface.
(~Marzen)

22L
OG = 1.056
FG = 1.012
IBU = 23
EBC = 21.5

(5kg grain)
2.4kg Munich (Viking)
2kg Vienna (Viking)
0.25kg Biscuit (Ding)
0.2kg Melanoidin (Wey) —>> had to sub for 0.36kg Aurora (Gladfields)
0.15kg Aromatic (Ding)

20g Tettnanger (4.8%) + 10g Saaz (4.6%) @FHW
10g Tettnanger +15g Saaz @20mins (cubed)

CaSO4 & CaCL2 additions to target 56ppm Ca, 55ppm SO4, 80ppm Cl2,
plus a little extra CaCl2 in the boil.

Mash: 55/65/72/78 for 5/60/20/5, then ~90mins boil.

to be dumped onto a S-189 yeast cake (3rd fermentation), fermented ~16°C.
——————————

Unfortunately i discovered i’d run out of Wey Melanoidin, then remembered i’d picked up a little freebie of Gladfields Aurora from a Merri Mashers gathering months ago (big thanks to MM & Dermott at Beer Co!). Apparently it’s meant to sub for the Wey melanoidin at a ratio of 1:1.8, so i ended up using 360g Aurora instead of the intended 200g Wey Melanoidin.
Also discovered i’d run out of MgSO4, so i increased the CaSO4 a bit to compensate. I generally prefer to add a little Mg for yeast health but hopefully this won’t make a big difference, especially considering the yeast is already ~ at full population.

This beer is (obviously!) intended to be super, super malty (but still have a balanced & dry finish). I went through a few different iterations, mainly blending the Munich & Vienna more equally with Pilsner. I ended up going with this version to see how pushing the maltiness so heavily goes. Quite likely it’ll be more balanced with the pilsner, but i’ll see how this one turns out. The 1/3rd Pilsner version will probably be the next version to try (next winter). Also, the mash schedule was abbreviated due to lack of time. The 65°C step was intended to be split between 63°C and 66°C. I’ll probably consider doing it for the next one, depending on how this one turns out.

I'm really keen to see how this goes, as the basic idea of a strongly malty lager, that's got a dry finish & not high in alc%) sounds great to me. I was a bit surprised to see how few Marzens there are out there - i would've thought a big malty lager would be more popular. Maybe Marzens tend to get "skipped" in favour of Bocks or something Or maybe i've simply been unable to find where everyone raves about their Marzens :D Anyway, hopefully it turns out as well as i hope!
Exactly how did you end up with the same beer recipe I was toying with last night? I was thinking it was time for another dark yummy lager... gedoutta my head man!

Alright - it's not exactly the same, I didn't have the biscuit or aurora (redback & dark xtal instead), and was going to use Tett & Perle... but oddly, oddly similar. o_O

Good luck with the brew.

^sounds like a gooden' mate. is the 90 minute boil to try to get some increased caramelisation ?
It's part of why i tend to do 90min boils - to hopefully increase the malt complexity/depth a little further. It also simply fits into my process by default. I drain however much from my mash, generally ~30-32L, then boil down to a particular point where i know a further 10mins of boiling gives me just enough to fill a cube (~21.5L). It normally takes ~90-120mins to compete the entire boil. I could probably just reduce my mash/sparge vols, but i prefer to gain a little extra efficiency and take the time to do a 90+ min boil. The other aspect is i generally mash, sparge and do an initial boil (10-30mins), then have to leave it for a few hours or a day or 2, as life/work tends to get in the way of completing the whole process in a single session. So between the first boil and the 2nd boil, it ends up ~90mins or more.

FWIW, I suspect the "caramelisation" from a regular boil doesn't really produce a caramel element or anything, it more just develops the maltiness a little more. In my limited experience, i've needed to do strong reductions (e.g.: 4L wort down to 200mL of dark goop) or use actual Candi Syrup to get anything resembling a caramel element. (Not that i think you're unaware of this, Coodgee, more for anyone else out there wondering about this "caramelisation" thing ;)).

Exactly how did you end up with the same beer recipe I was toying with last night? I was thinking it was time for another dark yummy lager... gedoutta my head man!

Alright - it's not exactly the same, I didn't have the biscuit or aurora (redback & dark xtal instead), and was going to use Tett & Perle... but oddly, oddly similar. o_O

Good luck with the brew.
Just like Newton & Leibniz, great minds think alike! Convergent evolution in brewing :D

Yeah, I avoided the crystal type of stuff for this one. I think I've found that crystals work very differently in lagers - The way a lager dries out a bit more, even if the attenuation (~75%) is the same as a typical ale, seems to (not surprisingly!) alter the effect crystal has within the malt elements. There's less sweetness to combine with the "roasty"/burnt element from the crystal that typically produces the overall caramel-like flavours we're familiar with for crystals (caramel, toffee, dried fruit, etc) in ales. Instead, i find it leaves the roasty & burnt elements to be more prominent, and it can take a while to mellow. Obviously, i could've/should've just used less crystal! And possibly alter the malt grist to compensate in other ways as well.
Either way, i just wanted a more biscuity malt flavour to this, rather than any "darker" roast/burnt flavours, so just stuck with Biscuit + Aromatic, then some Aurora/Melanoidin to further boost the malt.
Might miss the timing of it, but hopefully this'll be ready for sampling at the Case Swap in July :drinkingbeer: (The 2nd lager on this yeast cake was chewed through in 2 days!).

Last edited:
It's part of why i tend to do 90min boils - to hopefully increase the malt complexity/depth a little further. It also simply fits into my process by default. I drain however much from my mash, generally ~30-32L, then boil down to a particular point where i know a further 10mins of boiling gives me just enough to fill a cube (~21.5L). It normally takes ~90-120mins to compete the entire boil. I could probably just reduce my mash/sparge vols, but i prefer to gain a little extra efficiency and take the time to do a 90+ min boil. The other aspect is i generally mash, sparge and do an initial boil (10-30mins), then have to leave it for a few hours or a day or 2, as life/work tends to get in the way of completing the whole process in a single session. So between the first boil and the 2nd boil, it ends up ~90mins or more.

FWIW, I suspect the "caramelisation" from a regular boil doesn't really produce a caramel element or anything, it more just develops the maltiness a little more. In my limited experience, i've needed to do strong reductions (e.g.: 4L wort down to 200mL of dark goop) or use actual Candi Syrup to get anything resembling a caramel element. (Not that i think you're unaware of this, Coodgee, more for anyone else out there wondering about this "caramelisation" thing ;)).

oh I'm no expert on caramelisation! I often find myself doing a 90 minute mash for DMS reasons with pils malt and it usually coincides with a protein rest or a beta-glucanase rest which can stretch out the brew day by a good 2 hours. was just wondering why you did it. Wits are the worst for me. beta-glucanase rest for 20 minutes because of the oats, then generally a sparge on the slow side with all the wheat, then a 90 minute boil because of the pils. Plenty of time to grate oranges I suppose :)

Hey Dan, could please ensure you report on this beer, and especially with as much detail as you can muster on the hops elements. I'd be very interested to hear more about Red Earth. As you said, the info' is very lacking! In particular, i'm keen to hear how these hops go in a more malt-driven beer like a red ale.
Maybe add to the thread on Red Earth in the hops descriptions category?
Done! Check last post. :drinkingbeer:https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/red-earth.70658/page-2

Back