What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brew #2 of 4 this week.

American Pale from Brewing Classic Styles, with Dingemans Biscuit subbed for Victory Malt.

Magnum to bitter, then it's all Simcoe from there.

Wyeast 1272 to munch it into beer.

BBB - use Citra at 10-20 minutes in a nice quantity to the IBU you want. You'll get that lovely passionfruit citrus flavour without the harshness.

I find that a little Nelson for bittering (60m) is okay, but overdone, it can quickly get harsh.

I've found that both Nelson and Citra can be used in a similar manner - that is 30 minutes for most bittering, and lots at 10 minutes for lots of flavour. :icon_drool2:

Goomba

Thanks Goomba - That is exactly the route I am taking now. I've also just ordered some Galaxy to give that a crack.
Cheers
BBB

This weekend I'll be brewing this one:

Pumpkin Ale

10L Batch

250g CaraPils
200g CaraAroma
1.8 kg Maris Otter
1.3 kg Pumpkin (peeled)

Hops - 10g Northern Brewer(8.5%) @ 45mins [~17.8 IBU]

3/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 whirlfloc tab

S-04 Yeast

I welcome any advice or suggestions since it's the first time I've attempted one of these.

This weekend I'll be brewing this one:

Pumpkin Ale

10L Batch

250g CaraPils
200g CaraAroma
1.8 kg Maris Otter
1.3 kg Pumpkin (peeled)

Hops - 10g Northern Brewer(8.5%) @ 45mins [~17.8 IBU]

3/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

1/4 whirlfloc tab

S-04 Yeast

I welcome any advice or suggestions since it's the first time I've attempted one of these.

I was going to say up the pumpkin but for a 10l batch that would be fine. Maybe look at using butternut as your pumpkin (yes i know it technically isnt a pumpkin). I lost a lot of wort to trub, but thats because I utilise the BIAB method, even with heaps of rice hulls draining the bag was a bitch. also bake the pumpkin first to bring out more flavour.

I was going to say up the pumpkin but for a 10l batch that would be fine. Maybe look at using butternut as your pumpkin (yes i know it technically isnt a pumpkin). I lost a lot of wort to trub, but thats because I utilise the BIAB method, even with heaps of rice hulls draining the bag was a bitch. also bake the pumpkin first to bring out more flavour.

Thanks for the feedback outbreak. I've already got my pumpkin, it's a homegrown jap pumpkin from my parents' farm to make the brew even more home-made. I was planning to roast the pumpkin too because after a bit of reading on the subject it seems like the way to go. I also BIAB but I don't have any rice hulls so hopefully it won't be too painful sparging.

I'll be interested to see just how much colour and flavour the pumpkin adds to the brew. I'm only lightly hopping to ~18 IBU as this seemed recommended so as not to overwhelm the pumpkin and spices.

Murrays Seasonal from a couple of years ago is the inspiration for this one.

Double brew day again today.

First one is 30 minutes into the mash. :icon_cheers:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 85 Obese Yak
Brewer: Barley Belly
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 30.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.60 kg MaltEurop Australia Ale (3.5 EBC) Grain 80.0 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 11.1 %
0.25 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
0.15 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (90.0 EBC) Grain 3.3 %
15.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.30%] (40 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
5.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [7.80%] (0 min) Hops -
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50%] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: 86 Centennial Pale
Brewer: Barley Belly
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 30.49 L
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 15.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg MaltEurop Australia Ale (3.5 EBC) Grain 66.7 %
1.25 kg Munich Light (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 27.8 %
0.25 kg Carawheat (Weyermann) (120.0 EBC) Grain 5.6 %
20.00 gm Centennial [7.20%] (40 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [7.20%] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
20.00 gm Centennial [7.20%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)Hops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Gonna give this a go when i get back from hols. Hopefully it will do justice by the 1469 yeast that bribieg generously gave to me. Loosely based around a landlord, also taking liberties with drsmurto version of a landlord. I dont have any GP so I have used MO.
Regards
Matt

BIAB with 75% eff
90 min mash @ 67deg. 60 min boil.
3.8kg maris otter
.3kg light crystal.
.4kg light munich
Caramelise 2lt wort down to 300ml added to end of boil
35g fuggle @ 60
30g ekg @ 20
30g stryrian golding @ 0
Wyeast 1469 @ 20deg

Ok, so I brewed the above last Friday. It was prob my worst brewday ever as far as missing temps/vols/targets etc, just didnt get anything right even burnt the caramelisation from not keeping close enough eye on it (read - too drunk :icon_cheers: ) should still be quite drinkable. Gonna re-brew this recipe tommorow but this time I have got me some golden promise so really looking forward to using it for the first time. I have just kicked off the reculture if bribieg's 1469, really lovely beer by the way bribie!! A promise to myself not to burn anything and take closer notice of all my measurements, oh and stay sober at least until the start of the boil :rolleyes: , well maybe.

bah

Thanks for the feedback outbreak. I've already got my pumpkin, it's a homegrown jap pumpkin from my parents' farm to make the brew even more home-made. I was planning to roast the pumpkin too because after a bit of reading on the subject it seems like the way to go. I also BIAB but I don't have any rice hulls so hopefully it won't be too painful sparging.

I'll be interested to see just how much colour and flavour the pumpkin adds to the brew. I'm only lightly hopping to ~18 IBU as this seemed recommended so as not to overwhelm the pumpkin and spices.

Murrays Seasonal from a couple of years ago is the inspiration for this one.

If you want real pumpkin flavour and aroma, my advise would be to add as much as you can in the last 5 minutes of the boil, or even in secondary. I've done a pumpkin pils which wasn't too bad, it had plenty of flavour for the first few weeks, but lost it very quickly after that. Use a hop sock or your BIAB bag in the boil and stir the roasted pumpkin as much as you can in the boil to get get all the colour and flavour into your wort, then pull out the bare leftovers of the whitish looking flesh. I've also roasted up some pumpkin seeds which also had a quite prominent flavour and aroma, but again, didn't last very long.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are a few threads floating around, one of them is here.

If you want real pumpkin flavour and aroma, my advise would be to add as much as you can in the last 5 minutes of the boil, or even in secondary. I've done a pumpkin pils which wasn't too bad, it had plenty of flavour for the first few weeks, but lost it very quickly after that. Use a hop sock or your BIAB bag in the boil and stir the roasted pumpkin as much as you can in the boil to get get all the colour and flavour into your wort, then pull out the bare leftovers of the whitish looking flesh. I've also roasted up some pumpkin seeds which also had a quite prominent flavour and aroma, but again, didn't last very long.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are a few threads floating around, one of them is here.

Thanks Florian. Just the kind of advice I was looking for, especially since I was already wondering whether the pumpkin was better in the mash or the boil. I think I might split the difference and mash half of it and add the other half to the end of the boil. Luckily I'm only making a 10L batch so even if the flavour and aroma don't last too long, I don't think the beer itself will either!

I've been reading up on AHB threads and other websites but I missed the one in the link you've provided so thanks for that too.

Cheers!

Just put this one down, its to follow a CB boh pils FWK on s-189

Smoked Schwarzbier

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 23.0 (EBC): 45.3
Bitterness (IBU): 25.8 (Average)

46.58% Pale Ale Malt
26.93% Munich II
14.56% Rauchmalt
2.91% Caraaroma
2.62% Carafa II malt
2.18% Carapils (Dextrine)
2.18% Melanoidin
2.04% Chocolate

0.4 g/L Nelson Sauvin (11.5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort)
0.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Hallertau Mittlefrueh (6.3% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 62C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 75 Minutes

Fermented at 12C with Saflager S-189

Kolsch :)

BullsHead Kolsch

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.0 9.00 kg. Weyermann FM Boh Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
7.0 0.70 kg. Weyermann Pale Wheat Germany 1.038 4
3.0 0.30 kg. Weyermann Carahell Germany 1.035 26

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
110.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 5.60 26.2 40 min.
20.00 g. Pacific Hallertau Whole 5.60 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

2575 PC Kolsch II

Does P. Hallertau go well in this Tony? I'm guessing it'd add a good mild citrus/fruit character? Do you reckon the 2575 is better than WLP029 or 2565?

Putting my brew boots back on today and I've been caught up in a bit of historical brewing reading (thanks Chiller).
So today I'm brewing a WWII Whitbread 1943 Oat Mild, the grist reflects the changes that had to be made during the war due to the restrictions on many ingredients. Also I presume the lower than normal gravity enabled the Troops to "down a few" without the usual results.
There's not a lot to hide behind in this recipe so I hope I don't stuff it up.

Whitbread 1943 Oat Mild

1.56 Kg Mild Malt
0.32 Kg Golden naked Oats
0.26 Kg Marris Otter
0.22 Kg Medium Crystal Heritage
0.03 Kg Carafa III (steeped and used to adjust color, replaces brewers caramel of the day)
0.20 Kg Dark Brown Sugar
18 g East Kent Goldings 5% 60min
1 Whitbread ale yeast Wyeast1099

Mash @ 69.5 for 60 minutes
O.G 1.028
F.G 1.008

Putting my brew boots back on today and I've been caught up in a bit of historical brewing reading (thanks Chiller).
So today I'm brewing a WWII Whitbread 1943 Oat Mild, the grist reflects the changes that had to be made during the war due to the restrictions on many ingredients. Also I presume the lower than normal gravity enabled the Troops to "down a few" without the usual results.
There's not a lot to hide behind in this recipe so I hope I don't stuff it up.

Whitbread 1943 Oat Mild

1.56 Kg Mild Malt
0.32 Kg Golden naked Oats
0.26 Kg Marris Otter
0.22 Kg Medium Crystal Heritage
0.03 Kg Carafa III (steeped and used to adjust color, replaces brewers caramel of the day)
0.20 Kg Dark Brown Sugar
18 g East Kent Goldings 5% 60min
1 Whitbread ale yeast Wyeast1099

Mash @ 69.5 for 60 minutes
O.G 1.028
F.G 1.008

Andrew, why steep the Carafa III separate to the mash? Is it perhaps a pH thing, or does it reduce the harshness that can be imparted from very dark grains?

Actually Brando I am only going to use it for color adjustment so I will only be adding as much of the liquor as I think I will need to the boiler much the same way as they use the brewers caramel for color adjustment, I might not need to use any, a lot will depend on how much color I get from the Dark brown sugar as I am sure it's an unknown variable.

Looking to brew this tomorrow. I am almost out of Marris but have a bunch of crystals and half a bag of JW pilsner malt. Not having made an ale with pilsner before, keen to know if this is a goer or do I wait for the next bag of Marris to come in and not waste the other ingredients?

Cheers

J

Original Gravity (OG): 1.056 (P): 13.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 5.50 %
Colour (SRM): 6.5 (EBC): 12.8
Bitterness (IBU): 73.6 (Average)

70% Pilsner
16% Maris Otter Malt
7% Carared
7% Munich II

1.2 g/L Columbus (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Amarillo (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 80 Minutes

Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Actually Brando I am only going to use it for color adjustment so I will only be adding as much of the liquor as I think I will need to the boiler much the same way as they use the brewers caramel for color adjustment, I might not need to use any, a lot will depend on how much color I get from the Dark brown sugar as I am sure it's an unknown variable.

You don't get much from CSR dark brown sugar Andrew.

Nice foggy winter morning seems ideal for drinking this beer not brewing it! First ever AG Stout after 2.5 years of AG, better late than never I guess. Should be on tap just in time from when I get back from my wedding in New Zealand.

Warren's 3 Shades Stout

2.25 kg Pale
0.75 Kg Pils
0.50 Kg Brown Malt
0.35 Kg Flaked Barley
0.25 Chocolate Malt
0.25 Kg Roasted Barley

20g P.O.R @ 60 Mins
20g Fuggles @ 15 Mins

No Chill

1.044 Est SG

35 est IBU probably add another 5 or so for No chill + bitterness from grains

I hope P.O.R is ok, from my experience at 60 mins it is generally a pretty clean bittering hop plus I had heaps of it in the freezer so why not.

Like the sound of this Andrew ... what have you been reading?

Currently mashing this bits'n'pieces English Barleywine low and slow to get it as fermentable as possible for the 1968 ESB yeast, might even get a table beer out of the end runnings. Debating whether to do a 15 min whirlpool addition of Target or EKG.

22L batch:
7.00 kg Golden Promise (Simpsons) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 56.9 %
2.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (3.2 EBC) Grain 2 16.3 %
0.30 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 5 2.4 %
1.30 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 10.6 %
1.70 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 3 13.8 %

50.00 g Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 48.2 IBUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back