What Are You Brewing III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to do an Irish Red but only have 1469 so bugger it I've just invented Yorkshire Red :icon_cheers:

I've basically taken a SuperLandlord recipe, taken out the choc malt and put in 400g of Caraaroma. Also doing a cereal mash with some left over BB Galaxy and 500 of Polenta, to try out my new kit and to give more background 'grainyness' to the beer.

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 68.97 %
0.50 kg Corn, Flaked (2.6 EBC) Grain 8.62 %
0.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 8.62 %
0.40 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 6.90 %
0.10 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) Grain 1.72 %
30.00 gm Fuggles Flowers NZ[4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
30.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 16.4 IBU
20.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (20 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.30 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC) Sugar 5.17 %

Wyeast 1469

Noice! I found that a bit of caramel rye seems to make the cararoma even redder. Dunno why though because the rye isn't very red.

Yes, couldn't brew last night as I got landed with a babysitting job while the women went off to a Halloween thing at the pub at the end of the street (sounds like Elton John's sort of place)

I love that Caraaroma. I'm trying to do a cereal mash on the Kambrook ring, it's a fierce little *******. I boiled the polenta mix for half an hour and let it cool a bit too far down to 68, I need it at around 74 to stir in the Galaxy for an Alpha Amylase rest. So I started it up again, turned my back for a few minutes and it was back up to 78 with a smug look on its face. Looks like I'm going to have to break it in if it's going to live at peace with Urnest and Urnold.

I brewed this today: a Baltic Porter or a strong dark lager - whichever you wish to call it. Based closely on a recipe from MHB.

Baltic Porter?
Baltic Porter

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/10/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Nick
Boil Size: 32.27 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 120 min Equipment: Birko
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 90.40 %
0.30 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (51.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.30 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (381.0 SRM) Grain 3.39 %
0.25 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (178.0 SRM) Grain 2.82 %
25.00 gm Magnum [10.70 %] (110 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
25.00 gm Saphir [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
20.00 gm Saphir [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Munich Lager (Wyeast Labs #2308) Yeast-Lager - a healthy yeast cake

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.83 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.98 %
Bitterness: 40.2 IBU Calories: 718 cal/l
Est Color: 27.0 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 8.85 kg
Sparge Water: 20.03 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 23.10 L of water at 74.7 C 66.0 C

My poor Birko started having a conniption with this one. Cutting out, so I had to hit the "reset" button on the underside about half a dozen times during the boil. I'm running a test at the moment, and I'm going to run some kettle cleaner (vinegar) through it. I suspect a caked up element causing an overheat, as it was chockers when I drained the urn.

This one also surprised me, as it came out very dark brown rather than the black I was expecting with the dark grains used. A peculiar brew day all around.

That's what I was wondering, with that grain bill if I were BIABing my urn would go "You'd have to be fn joking" :rolleyes: and I'd be doing a side sparge in a bucket anyway.

That's what I was wondering, with that grain bill if I were BIABing my urn would go "You'd have to be fn joking" :rolleyes: and I'd be doing a side sparge in a bucket anyway.

Almost 9kgs, I wouldn't recommend BIAB that to my worst enemy. Who's got forearms that strong to drain the bugger! Kidding... I switch up between BIAB in my urn and the mash tun esky setup depending on what I'm brewing, how I'm feeling and which way the wind is blowing. I use the eksy for bigger grain bills and when I have a long time to brew in a relaxed fashion. BIAB when I need to knock something out with a minimum of cleanup. That said, I reckon it's only a 15 minute difference in my brew day - but it feels shorter with the bag. :icon_offtopic:

The urn came out clean as a whistle, and didn't shut off at all during my test boil/cleanup. I wonder by how much the wort solution boil exceeds 100c, and how sensitive the overheat is on the Birko? Must get the thermometer in there next time.

That's something that had never occurred to me, the stuff in soloution raising the actual boiling point. Interesting. About a minute ago I hoisted a six kilo grain bill and by the time I had got it up in the air and tied off securely at the cleat in the wall I was grunting like a whore :lol:

Edit, off topic.. is that the St Peters near Newtown? do you live in a terrace? anyway next time I'm down that way shooting some terraces for our site we'll have to have a pint at the Nags head wherever.

Didn't put in a tax return for 4 years because I mistakenly thought I owed them a heap of money so went to ground. Manned up to the tax agent this year before they put out a warrant, and got showered with refund from those lovely people at the ATO :lol: So now instead of blowing it four years in a row I can blow it in one hit :beerbang: Pity I didn't make a move a month ago or I could have gone to ANHC. Bugger.
Anyway, bought a couple of wee upgrades and brewing a Yorkie tonight:

Hotplate and heavy bottomed stockpot for doing cereal mashes in the brewery without having to traipse back and forward to kitchen and......boom tish.... RO water system from Gryphon, yay total control over the liqour now. ve haf vays. Filter from Ross if he ever gets back from Melbourne and maybe a couple extra kegs......... nah make that four........... :)

View attachment 41754

You should put in for a trip to Puerto Galera with your ill-gotten gains, I 'll shout a BBQ at the yacht club.

Currently boiling a 6% ABV brew and it's reading 106 degrees on my calibrated stick thermometer

That's something that had never occurred to me, the stuff in soloution raising the actual boiling point. Interesting. About a minute ago I hoisted a six kilo grain bill and by the time I had got it up in the air and tied off securely at the cleat in the wall I was grunting like a whore :lol:

Edit, off topic.. is that the St Peters near Newtown? do you live in a terrace? anyway next time I'm down that way shooting some terraces for our site we'll have to have a pint at the Nags head wherever.

I reckon it's worth testing, but I think it is only a 1-2deg difference at most.

And yes, St Peters next to newtown. I'm not in a terrace, but I am in a 90 year+ duplex, and there's some interesting out of place terraces in my street if that's your thing.

Cup day brew (obviously for tomorrow)

ESBB (English Strong Brown Bitter)

Type: All grain
Size: 20 liters
Color: 31 HCU (~16 SRM)
Bitterness: 40 IBU
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 6.4% v/v (5.0% w/w)
Grain: 5kg JW ale
250g Dingeman's biscuit
300g JW dark crystal
50g JWchocolate
Mash: 70% efficiency
Boil: 75minutes SG 1.038 32 liters
Hops: 75g Fuggles (3.8% AA, 60 min.)

2g each CaCl2
CaS04 mash and boil
1/2 tab Whirlfloc

Brewlab Yorkshire 1

Will either be mashing at 68 for 90 minutes or more likely starting at 64 for 15 minutes and ramping to 68 for 45.

Knocked this out yesterday! Im officially out of US hops other than Cascade, and out of crystal malt apart from 120L, so im finally getting rid of all my old ingrediants which means I can start a fresh soon!!

Pitched just now at lunchtime along with a litre of ice, the temp was still at 28*c but after adding the ice and putting into a cold bath the temp settled at 22*c, and will no doubt drop a wee bit before fermentation starts...

80th BIAB IPA

5kg Golden Promise
200g Crystal 120L
200g Biscuit
150g Global CaraDark
100g Rye
50g Maize
20g Caralight

90 - 4g Columbus 14.2%, 5g Summit 15.9%
30 - 15g Columbus 14.2%, 15g Chinook 11.4%, 25g Cascade 5.8%
15 - 20g Amarillo 8.6%, 30g Cascade 5.8%
0 - 30g Cascade, 18g Summit, 10g Sauvin
Dry - 35g Amarillo, 15g Summit, 15g Chinook, 15g Sauvin, 15g Simcoe

Wyeast 1764 - Pacman

Managed to sneak in a 'cheat's brew' on the weekend and am very interested in how it is going to turn out, particularly given the guess work associated with bitterness levels...

Black and Gold - Munich Dunkel-ish

1 x 15l Golden Lager Fresh Wort Kit

Steeped 200g medium crystal and 40g roasted barley for about an hour in 5l of 70 degree water

Boiled 5l for 30mins with 20g Hallertau

WL380 - German Lager yeast

Topped with cold water to 20l

Pitched at 20 and fixed tempmate at 11 degrees

OG - 1.042

Sounds nice, will be a darkish lager. Or how dark was it, does the 40 gr of roasted barley make it really dark or just amber coloured?

Bjorn

After 3 months away from brewing I have finally put a brew down today, thoroughly enjoyed myself too.
Ultra Lite 2.7% Rice lager for my Xmas day session. This is one very pale beer.

Recipe: Ultra Lite 2.7% Rice Lager
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Style: Lite American Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.19 L
Estimated OG: 1.028 SG
Estimated Color: 1.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 11.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pilsner Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.Grain 81.63 %
0.45 kg Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 18.37 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer Tradition [3.60 %] (60 min) Hops 11.5 IBU
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
3.00 gm Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm BrewBrite (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Pilsner Mash
Total Grain Weight: 2.45 kg
----------------------------
Pilsner Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
15 min Protien Rest Add 8.31 L of water at 60.2 C 55.0 C
60 min Sacch Rest Add 4.15 L of water at 78.5 C 62.0 C
15 min Sach Rest Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

About time Andrew, you've been far too quiet.

Setting up the gear for a early start.

BDMC Mild
20litre

TF MO - 63%
60 SRM Crystal Malt - 11%
Carafa 3 - 6%
Torrified Wheat - 5%
Dark Brown Sugar - !5%
EKG 33gm 60min
EKG 6gm dry hop
mash - single infusion 68 C
yeast - that cantankerous dry windsor stuff.

This stuff is just too easy to drink <_<
Can result in whining...

About time Andrew, you've been far too quiet.

Setting up the gear for a early start.

BDMC Mild
20litre

TF MO - 63%
60 SRM Crystal Malt - 11%
Carafa 3 - 6%
Torrified Wheat - 5%
Dark Brown Sugar - !5%
EKG 33gm 60min
EKG 6gm dry hop
mash - single infusion 68 C
yeast - that cantankerous dry windsor stuff.

This stuff is just too easy to drink <_<
Can result in whining...

Cheers Winkle, I think the bug has returned.
Must get myself some torrified wheat and give that a try. How long do you dry hop for?

Andrew

Was going to do an APA but GG were out of 1272 and other bits I need won't arrive till next week.

I could still do an APA of sorts though as I have 05 and centennial and amarillo. Have plans for saison but was going to wait for the beginning of summer. Could do my first dunkelweizen or maybe just a trusty golden ale with tettnanger for easy summer drinking

Otherwise known as blah blah blah.

Think it will be something like: 5kg ale or pilsner malt (or 50/50 blend)
100g medium crystal
250 biscuit
Bittered to 35-40 IBU and a flavour and aroma addition
US05 has worked for me better in this type of brew than 1007 which lends more malt and sweetness than the 05.

Single infusion mash, 65 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back