What are you Brewing - 2018

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snap, first decoction for me today too. Must be the day for it.

Bo Pils inspired brew.
Brisbane water with CaSO4 to 67ppm sulfate (1:1 sulfate to chloride)
Targets: 41 litres into fermenter. 1.052 OG. 5.2% ABV. 35 IBU

94% Wey pils
5% Wey Vienna
1% Wey melanoidin

Mash at 62C for 30 min
Decoct (is that a real word?) 7 litres & boil for 20 min
Return to mash and settled at 72 C. Rest for 20 min
Mash out & sparge.

24g Ella first wort
60 g Cz Saaz at flame out
Whirlpool then into cubes. Put cubes into pool (Come back after lunch and one cube had sunk! Tested SG and both still 1.054, so no pool water dilution)

Now in fermenter & cooling In fridge. Will add rehydrated M-84 tomorrow morning when down to 12C.

Last edited:
^ hey Bruno, how long does it take for the cube to equalize with the pool water temperature?

^ hey Bruno, how long does it take for the cube to equalize with the pool water temperature?
I retrieved them after 3 hours yesterday - one off the bottom - and they were at pool water temp then. I used to leave them on the first step, but then they'd take longer because top quarter was out of the water - maybe 4 or 5 hours.

Cool. Do you make any adjustment to the amount of hops to account for the delayed cooling?

Cool. Do you make any adjustment to the amount of hops to account for the delayed cooling?

There's quite a few threads covering this already and there's all different adjustments people make that work for them. I use Beersmith, check the "Estimate Boil Hop Util in Whirlpool" box in my Equipment Profile and set the whirlpool time to 60min. This seems to compensate for no chill and cooling in the pool really well.

After quite a successful run of 5 lagers it's time for something completely different. This is a big, rich beer that has a really nice sweet red pawpaw aroma. The sweet aroma from the crystal grains combines really nicely with the hops. All hops go in at 5 minutes left in the boil

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 27.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

3.20 kg Marris Otter (5.6 EBC) Grain 2 58.2 %
1.00 kg Munich Malt II (22.5 EBC) Grain 3 18.2 %
0.80 kg Rye Malt (5.0 EBC) Grain 4 14.5 %
0.25 kg Caramal Rye Malt (175.0 EBC) Grain 5 4.5 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (260.0 EBC) Grain 6 4.5 %
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
40.00 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 11.2 IBUs
40.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [10.60 %] - Boil 5.0 mi Hop 9 8.9 IBUs
40.00 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 11.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg West Coast IPA (WYEAST #WY1217PC) Yeast 11 -
50.00 g Chinook [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
50.00 g Simcoe [14.10 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash Step Heat to 50.0 C over 0 min 50.0 C 15 min
Mash Step Heat to 69.0 C over 10 min 69.0 C 60 min
Mash Step Heat to 75.0 C over 4 min 75.0 C 10 min

Cool, thanks, I might just hit it with 50g ('cos that's what I'll buy from the LHBS) and see how it goes..

Sorry, haven't plugged it in yet, I promise I'll get to it soon! ;)

hey Schikitar, when can you donwload that info mate?

Ive been thinking of making a cooling rig by having a 200L plastic drum, with water whirlpooling that I can place a no chill cube of hot wort into this and if it cools to <30c in under 45mins i will of achieved what i get with a CFC system. essentially doing away with the CFC.

need that info

I haven't been able @Dan Pratt - unfortunately the software doesn't work properly on Windows 10. I'm just waiting to catch up with my brother (who I got the loggers off) as he has the software all installed etc., on his work machine. I've got them there, he's just had a baby (well his wife did!) so I'm just trying to find a good time to hassle him about it!

Working on making my house IPA which is old style in regards to the hop schedule.

Most modern IPAs would see a FWH, 30min layer and then the rest whirlpool, or no 30min layer and 60%+ of the ibu from the WP.

This will see a solid bittering addition with Warrior into the kettle during the boil and then a late addition in the boil also.

169 - Stupid Ego IPA

OG 1060
FG 1010
ABV 6.5%
IBU 55
EBC 9.5
Eff 75%
Vol 20lts

100% Maris Otter
(Some Acidulated for lower pH)

Mashed @ 66c for 60mins, target pH 5.4, Sulfate 250ppm, Chloride 100ppm

90min Boil

Warrior at 90mins = 36ibu
@ 10mins - 3g Gypsum & 1g Cal Chloride
Amarillo / Centennial @ 5mins = 20ibu

Chill immediately to <78c with CFC re circulation.

Fermented with US05 yeast cake @ 18c under 5-10psi pressure

Dry Hop @ 48hrs into fermentation with 4ounces of CITRA

Transfer to secondary (corny keg) onto 50g of CITRA LUPULIN 24% AA for 3-4days

what's wrong with a counter flow chiller? I can't imagine the proposed method would be any faster, surely?

The CFC is fine however its not my favorite piece of equipment. I will let you know some more after a few experiments with this idea. Not trying cool faster, just simpler without using the CFC and pump into the FV.

The CFC is fine however its not my favorite piece of equipment. I will let you know some more after a few experiments with this idea. Not trying cool faster, just simpler without using the CFC and pump into the FV.

for these lagers I have been doing in this stinking hot QLD summer, I've been chilling as normally down to 30 degrees then filling my HLT with ice water and pumping that through the CFC. Got the wort down to 8 degrees last weekend, so I could pitch the yeast straight away. goes good.

Hey guys, I'm sire most of the pros could have told me this but I tried to add a hop tea to my light-bodied pale, I re-used the dry hops I pulled from the fermenter and steeped them below 80 degrees. It smelt great great but in the finished beer it added a very bitter/cry finish instead of what I wanted which was just more aromatics. Anyway, think it's not ruined but just spoiled this pale I made, won't do that again! I'm actually having a really hard time getting strong hop aromatics into my beer..

Anyone ever dropped like a single hop pellet into each bottle when priming? I might tried that in half a dozen or so of the next brew.

Anyone ever dropped like a single hop pellet into each bottle when priming? I might tried that in half a dozen or so of the next brew.

This won't work unfortunately. You'd have too much hop matter in the bottle, which will provide nucleation points for CO2 and when you open the bottles they'll foam up like no-one's business. This even happens when you get to the end of a bottling run of heavily hopped beers and your last few bottles get a few more hop dregs into them.

using challenger for the first time so first go at a...

"challenger standard bitter"...

BIAB NC. 70% eff (need to remember to adjust that up one day as im probably slightly better)

44% MO
43% Gold prom
9% wheat
4% dark crystal

40g styrian golding @ 40m
35g challenger @ cube
30g challenger dry hop around day 10 or 12. times adjusted for NC

60 min mash
75min boil
IBU 25
OG: 1039 (got it within a point so good enough for gov work)
S-04 fermenting at 17.5

first time using brewmans oxygen kit too so see what difference i get out of the ferment as well.

Last edited:
Double brew day

Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone #30

Og 1.054
FG 1.010
ABV 5.86%
IBU 45.7

90Min Boil
21 litre Knockout

Pilsner 60.5%
Marris Otter 32.4%
Cara Hell 7%

Simcoe FWH 16G
Simcoe 30Min 17G
Simcoe whirlpool @70 28G for 30 Min
Simcoe 56G Dry Hop

Yeast US05

4 Pines Pale Ale Clone #31

OG 1.047
FG 1.09
ABV 5.1%
IBU 30.9
60min Boil
21 Knockout

Ale 77.6%
Wheat Malt 9.7%
Munich Dark 6.8%
Med Crystal 5.9%

Citra FWH 10G
Cascade 19g 30Min
Citra 6g 10Min
Amarillo 10g 10 Min

Citra 13g Dry Hop
Simcoe 13g Dry Hop
Cascade 14g Dry Hop

Today it is Lakeside Oatmeal Stout (23 litres) from Gordon Strong's recipe base, I have his Warwick Ale coming off the yeast tomorrow so this will go straight on the top, and the Warwick Ale, going by the hydrometer sample and tasting is looking really good
The stout on the boil.
001.JPG

Back