What are you Brewing - 2018

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I ask is because top cropping strains (when top cropped) have minimal to no reported strain drift and was curious if you ever got a flavour drift. I have heard prior that the English strains tend to perform almost the same but always become more flocculent. Always curious as to when flavour change comes because I rarely run a yeast more than 3-4 batches due to what I brew.
I did find a flavour change with US-05 when I took it to about 9 generations. It threw some banana and other phenolic type flavours. Not really wanted in the pale ales it was used in, so I bought a new packet and it went back to normal. All other strains have been liquid from wyeast, and haven't noticed any real change in them so far. I'll keep reusing until I do, will be interesting to see how long it takes.

Sent from my Agora 4G+ using Aussie Home Brewer mobile app

speaking of generations-old yeast, this will be a 4th generation w34-70 pitch to keep my run of lagers going.

Honey Lager

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 5.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 14.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
30.00 l Brisbane Water Water 1 -
4.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
3.15 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 3.5 EBC) Grain 3 74.1 %
0.35 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 4 8.2 %
10.00 g Hallertau Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 m Hop 5 14.9 IBUs
slurry Saflager Lager (DCL/Fermentis #W-34/70) Yeast 6 -
0.75 kg Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 7 17.6 %

will add the honey at high krausen. It's from a local producer and described as "almost show quality" blue gum, so it should be nice showcased in a lager. From my research adding at high krausen will preserve the most aromatics.

^ ^ my sister in law by marraige comes from a family of bee keepers and when she married my wifes brother for a wedding gift everyone recieved a jar of the family honey. Its still on the shelf and always wondered how much to use. If

How did you decide on 750g?

And, what abv do you think it will land at?

^ ^ my sister in law by marraige comes from a family of bee keepers and when she married my wifes brother for a wedding gift everyone recieved a jar of the family honey. Its still on the shelf and always wondered how much to use. If

How did you decide on 750g?

And, what abv do you think it will land at?

ha that's funny I just got married and we gave away a jar of honey for the girls and a stubbie of home brew for the men. There was a BYO article that said 20% will smell strongly of honey. so that's about 18% beersmith predicts 5.1% with 1.004 FG but beersmith has been consistently over-estimating the attenuation of W34/70 by about 4 points even with big re-pitches of a litre or more of yeast cake and a good blast of oxygen so it will probably finish closer to 1.008.

1516347088560.jpeg

1516347132990.jpeg

Im guessing that 20.5g suger per serve and per serve = 25g.

Then that = 328g of sugar.

Do i just add that amount to beersmith?

Nice. Ours were hand-bottled from a 15kg bucket. let me tell you it makes a ******* big mess trying to use your sparging jug to fill teeny tiny little bottles with honey.

beersmith has "honey" as an option under the "add grain" button. that's all I did.

Put this one down this morning.

Altbier

STATS
Batch Size (fermenter): 45 L
Estimated Efficiency: 75%
Estimated OG: 1.051 (Actual 1.051)
Estimated FG: 1.012
Estimated ABV: 5.1%
Estimated Colour: 29.90 EBC
Estimated IBU: 38.5

GRAINS
46.4% | 4.5kg Joe White Trad
41.2% | 4kg Weyermann Munich II
10.3% | 1kg Weyermann Caramunich I
2.1% | 200g Carafa I

HOPS
175g Saaz (3.8%aa) @ 60 mins

YEAST
1275 Thames Valley Wyeast (2L starter)

BREW NOTES
Hochkurz Mash Schedule, 30mins@63, 10min step, 30mins @71deg.

Going to try to ferment at the low end of the 1275 range at round 17, take it up for a D rest for a couple of days then lager for as long as I can!

Going to do a few brews next week as long as work doesn't get in the way, first will be a mild, Gordon Strong's 'Simplicity Mild' not done one for a couple of years so looking forward to this, awesome out of the hand pump. Probably another ordinary bitter and an English IPA and whatever I am able to fit in after that.

doing another session IPA today using moutere for the first time so going back to a small 60m charge then 15, 10, 5 and WP increasing each time to see what it does. will split 4 ways after ferment for some different dry-hopping

^ hi droid, is that the hop they changed from Brooklyn to Moutere? I brewed a XPA recipe i make with 100% citra, subbed that for the Moutere.....it needs a friend, i didnt find it well rated. Possibly due to my bag of those hops being a lttile old, if fresh it may play well by itself.

Wondering also why the hop burst late? Surely a 10m and WP would see the same effect getting 2 layers and more in the WP

^ hi droid, is that the hop they changed from Brooklyn to Moutere? I brewed a XPA recipe i make with 100% citra, subbed that for the Moutere.....it needs a friend, i didnt find it well rated. Possibly due to my bag of those hops being a lttile old, if fresh it may play well by itself.

Wondering also why the hop burst late? Surely a 10m and WP would see the same effect getting 2 layers and more in the WP

just had a look and I see it is FKA Brooklyn...
maybe I will bomb it late with mosaic which was one plan that got scrapped

do you think I will see all of Moutere's personality by doing as you suggest? that was the reason for going back to the 15, 10 and 5

Definately use it all in the boil and then create the 4 different dry hopped combos, making one of them all moutere. You can decide then if you like it, i wasnt a fan but they were 2015 crop

it's been a bit of an ordinary start with the timers shutting off from a surge early this morning, now I'll be brewing most of the day and so who knows what will happen at the end...I may team it up with something else and go back to a big arsed WP as per usual...hehe

Just mashed in on a Weizen.

51% wheat, 37% Pilsner, 10% Munich II, 2% acidulated.

One hop addition of Northern Brewer @ 60min for 15 IBU and fermented with Wyeast 3068.

Making a beer for a mate

167 - Ashby Ale 2

OG 1040
FG 1009
ABV 4.2%
IBU 18
EBC 7.5
Vol 20Lt
Eff 85% (brewhouse)

85% BB Ale
15% JW Wheat
+ Acidulated malt to drop pH to 5.2

Mashed at 66c for 60mins, 72/30m, 76/30mins

60min boil

@ WP - Simcoe / Cascade = 18ibu

No Chilled

Fermented with English S04

Dry Hopped with Simcoe and Cascade 1g/L each (42g for the batch)

Latest posts

Back