What are you Brewing - 2018

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ ^ haha. The one thing i cant convert is Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Pretty sure I did read that it isn't advisable to use the yeast cake from a dried yeast, Ray Daniels I believe it was who suggested that.
Why would that be? I cant see any reason why not to recycle yeast that was a dry product. Many times I have done it and often get a better result from the first recycle culture. If to make the same beer twice the second brew with recycled yeast (measured as best as possible with yeast calculators etc) is better than the first beer. Its like the fully revived version of that yeast and seems more viable, more vitality perhaps.
$0.02

I think i may have heard something like that on a podcast. It was just a theory of a brewer. That even though the air that dries the yeast may be filtered his theory was that it can never be sterile air that's blasting all that yeast dry.
Still, proof is in the pudding, I mean beer ha.. I'm convinced on that though. That if the first beer was good then the second beer with recycled yeast cake is even better. As long as you are very careful in the handling process etc.

It did come from Fermentis, but on reading articles on Pro Brewer they do reuse yeast 3 or 4 times with no ill effects, so if they say they have had success I will go along with that.

Today I brewed a British Special Bitter, Monday I will be brewing Gordon Strong's Lakeside Stout, the last one I bottled on Friday and added flaked barley as opposed to Flaked oats, asked my wife to buy some instant Uncle Toby's steel cut instant oats and she brought home steel cut whole oats. Can't complain, just means a visit to the supermarket. Will be doing this one with only Nugget hops.

Going to brew this on Monday to keep my APA keg flowing:

70% Ale
21% Munich
5.5% Crystal 50
3% Acidulated
The malt bill is copied from the Home Make It Session APA FWK. Thought I'd try something new. I usually do a bill based on 'the electric pale ale' here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27506

15g Amarillo 60 mins 17.4 IBU
10g Amarillo 10mins 4.1 IBU
10g Nelson Sauvin 10 mins 5.5 IBU
10g Amarillo 5 mins 2.2 IBU
10g Nelson Sauvin 5 mins 3 IBU
10g Amarillo Flame out
10g Nelson Sauvin Flame out

1.045 OG. US05. Expecting about 33.5 IBU.

I also plan to dry hop it. I've been dry hopping all my APAs with cascade flowers from the huge yield I got last year. Wondering whether to do the same here, or just stick with Nelson or Amarillo? Suggestions on this welcome :)

Do you mean 5g of hops in total per L of wort?
Yes. At a minimum for a full aromatic beer. At a guess you have no way to rouse the hops back into solution nor would you have a way to mininise O2 pickup so at this rate at best you will get a decent aroma to the beer.

Don't know the characteristics of oatmeal stout.
Recently in a boutique & fairly new brewery in NZ I cam across an amazing Chocolate Stout.
The sate was not strong, just subtly there.
I'd like to be recommended a recipe that might approach that.
BTW I like clones of Guinness which I have approximated over the years with 2 x 1.7 Kg cans of Coopers traditional stout (23 litres) its a bit sharper in taste & more Guinness like that many others.
Ideas?

Decided to get in a quick brew day before I took off for the UK. Have a larger in the fermentation fridge so this will be ready to start fermenting when I get back home. Was originally going to do a smash but decided to go with a bit of wheat and crystal and use some left over magnum for bittering. 35g of Nelson into the whirlpool and 65g into the cube at 81C. So not a smash, but I figure at least a good pummelling.

Still need to decide whether 50 or 100g on the dry hop...thinking 100.

Pummel Nelson

Batch Size: 23.00 l Style: American Pale Ale (18B)
Boil Size: 28.60 l Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 13.5 EBC Equipment: 50L Keggle
Bitterness: 40.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.050 (12.3° P) Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Est FG: 1.010 SG (2.5° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.3% Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
38.00 l Hoppy Pale Ale Water 1
10.03 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
5.53 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60 min) Misc 3
2.22 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 4
2.20 g Baking Soda (Mash 60 min) Misc 5
1.00 Campden Tablet (Mash 65 min) Misc 6
4.00 kg Gladfield Ale Malt (6.0 EBC) Grain 7
500.0 g BEST Wheat Malt (BESTMALZ) (4.8 EBC) Grain 8
200.0 g Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 9
9.4 g Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 65 min Hops 10
0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10 min) Misc 11
35.0 g Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Steep 30 min Hops 12
65.0 g Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Steep 5 min Hops 13
1 pkgs Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14
100.0 g Nelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 6 days Hops 15

^ ^ hey wobbly, what did the calculation for the ibu content get for the 65g into the cube?

Its a bit of a guess TBH, as I picked 5 minutes as an approximation given the wort was likely to be < 85C going into the cube. But beersmith punched out 8.3 IBU @ 12% AA

I'm still working on arriving at a good representative # of minutes for cube hopping but of course it needs you to be consistent in the temp you drop the wort into the cube and, therefore, how long you steep for and lid on vs off - which also impacts evaporation and final volume/gravity at the end of the steep. I probably just need to get better at any final volume or gravity adjustments at the end of the boil...

Put together a recipe for a Honey Pear Cream Ale and brewed it yesterday. It uses fresh Hallertau and Cascade hops from a mates garden, raw honey from my uncles bees and pears from my backyard. I won't bother posting the recipe unless it turns out half decent - it could go either way at this point! I was hoping to enter it into a local brew comp that requires the use of fresh wet hops but obviously won't if it fails!

I've never made a cream ale, nor used honey/pears or fresh hops - what could possibly go wrong!?! Haha!

Put together a recipe for a Honey Pear Cream Ale and brewed it yesterday. It uses fresh Hallertau and Cascade hops from a mates garden, raw honey from my uncles bees and pears from my backyard. I won't bother posting the recipe unless it turns out half decent - it could go either way at this point! I was hoping to enter it into a local brew comp that requires the use of fresh wet hops but obviously won't if it fails!

I've never made a cream ale, nor used honey/pears or fresh hops - what could possibly go wrong!?! Haha!

I recently did a honey lager and it turned out really well. I used all vienna malt with a touch of munich and 500grams of honey in a 23L batch. I added the honey at high krausen and it had a lovely honey flavour and aroma. Quite strong. When did you add the honey? I found it needed the Vienna malt to give it the body it required - without the honey it was something like a 3.3% ABV beer.

Will be interesting to see if the pear flavour comes through.

Picked up some fortnight hops, going to use them tomorrow morning. Haven't quite decided on how much and when yet, any recommendations?
I generally keep my stuff under 40IBU and only have 50g.

When did you add the honey?
Mine's a 27L batch, I added 750g to the cube - the sample I took from just before pitching had a wonderful aroma, I know the fermentation process will'burn' that off a little so I was going to add about another 500g at just after high krausen (should be today actually as it was going nuts last night) and see how that goes. Then I thought I'd give that a few days and then throw in my pears - once I work out how I'm going to prepare them and get them in there! I was thinking I'd peel about 3kg, cut them into chunks and give them a little lemon water bath to prevent browning, maybe a slight poaching and a campden tablet before adding in via one of my smaller grain bags so I can easily pull them out before bottling.. thoughts??

that is a shit ton of honey man! The 500 grams I added was a very pale delicate honey and the finished beer was very strong smelling and tasting of honey. I would advise not adding the extra 500 grams, especially if the honey is a darker kind. depends what you like though. I drank my lager quite soon after kegging so it might fade a bit.

Back