What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mofox1 said:
25% Wey Rye
Wow, that will have some flavour. I made a Citra Rye recently with 15% and that was lovely.

mofox1 said:
Knocking out a double of a Red Rye IPA today.

Aiming for 1.060, 62ish IBU's, and hopefully a deep red with a SRM of around 13.

50% Gladfields American Ale
25% Wey Rye
15% Gladfields Vienna
4% Gladfields Shepherd Delight
3% Carared
3% Crisp Light Crystal

Columbus for bittering
Galaxy, Simcoe & Chinook @ 0min
Chinook, Citra & Galaxy in the cube
Cascade, Chinook, Citra & Galaxy dry hopped.

Will go Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA to target a FG of ~1.012.
I kegged a similar IPA at the start of March. It was 1.060 with 20% rye and Columbus for bittering and Citra, Amarillo and Centennial in the cube. Turned out great!!

Sadly, I think I'm down to the last 1L or so.

mofox1 said:
Knocking out a double of a Red Rye IPA today.

Aiming for 1.060, 62ish IBU's, and hopefully a deep red with a SRM of around 13.

50% Gladfields American Ale
25% Wey Rye
15% Gladfields Vienna
4% Gladfields Shepherd Delight
3% Carared
3% Crisp Light Crystal

Columbus for bittering
Galaxy, Simcoe & Chinook @ 0min
Chinook, Citra & Galaxy in the cube
Cascade, Chinook, Citra & Galaxy dry hopped.

Will go Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA to target a FG of ~1.012.
Finished up only a couple points above target, but had to cube at 100° cos I promised the kids I'd take em to the park... Should have milled last night, would have cut the brew day down a bit.

Nailed the deep red though. Wort was stunning.

mofox1 said:
Finished up only a couple points above target, but had to cube at 100° cos I promised the kids I'd take em to the park... Should have milled last night, would have cut the brew day down a bit.

Nailed the deep red though. Wort was stunning.
Enjoy it while it lasts. My keg ran dry this evening...

indica86 said:
Wow, that will have some flavour. I made a Citra Rye recently with 15% and that was lovely.
I love what rye brings to a beer. Found a match made in heaven with late Topaz hops, but trying out some different combos this time.

Brewed Meantime IPA

120L 1.060

25kg pearl ale malt
2kg munich 1
1kg redback
1.5kg d180 candi syrup

Massive amounts of Fuggles and EKG

Yeast was Thames Valley ale

Might put this fellow down on the weekend:
Code:
Recipe: Stephen Dank IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 21.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 26.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
10.00 g               Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   1        -             
5.00 kg               Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.6 EBC)           Grain         2        80.6 %        
0.50 kg               Munich Malt (14.5 EBC)                   Grain         3        8.1 %         
0.30 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (110.0 EBC)   Grain         4        4.8 %         
0.30 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (260.0 EBC)   Grain         5        4.8 %         
0.10 kg               Acid Malt (5.9 EBC)                      Grain         6        1.6 %         
10.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 30. Hop           7        11.6 IBUs     
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min         Hop           8        9.9 IBUs      
10.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 20. Hop           9        9.1 IBUs      
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           10       7.8 IBUs      
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        11       -             
10.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 10. Hop           12       5.5 IBUs      
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           13       4.7 IBUs      
10.00 g               Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Steep/Wh Hop           14       2.7 IBUs      
10.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  10.0 Hop           15       2.3 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast         16       -             

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.20 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Heat to 66.0 C over 15 min              66.0 C        45 min        
Mash Out          Heat to 76.0 C over 10 min              76.0 C        10 min

Only took me 2 months but I finally kegged/bottled the Irish red that was supposed to be for st Patrick's day haha

Coodgee said:
Might put this fellow down on the weekend:

Recipe: Stephen Dank IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.00 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 26.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 53.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.6 EBC) Grain 2 80.6 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt (14.5 EBC) Grain 3 8.1 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (110.0 EBC) Grain 4 4.8 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (260.0 EBC) Grain 5 4.8 %
0.10 kg Acid Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 1.6 %
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 30. Hop 7 11.6 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 9.9 IBUs
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 20. Hop 9 9.1 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 10 7.8 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Boil 10. Hop 12 5.5 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 4.7 IBUs
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.40 %] - Steep/Wh Hop 14 2.7 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 Hop 15 2.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 16 -
Hi Coodgee,

2 of my favorite hops right there but honestly, why the Munich and crystal malts?

This is an American IPA and mashed at 66c with 10% Crystal and a further 8% Munich is way too sweet. :huh: You want the hops to shine in this style and those hops sure can put on a show but they will really be muddled in with the sweetness from the crystal. Make the beer, next time just use Pale malt, 3% crystal 60L and add 5% dextrose, mash at 65c and see the difference.

I've got an ipa cold crashing now with pilsner malt and a little bit crystal mashed at 65 using citra and a Crosby experimental. This one is supposed to be a contrast to that one. I think 54 ibu should balance that sweetness.

Coodgee said:
I've got an ipa cold crashing now with pilsner malt and a little bit crystal mashed at 65 using citra and a Crosby experimental. This one is supposed to be a contrast to that one. I think 54 ibu should balance that sweetness.
I have also been mucking around with different IPA recipes trying to find the sweet spot. While I realise many of the older style IPA's are considered caramel malt heavy I kinda 'grew up' on that style and have a soft spot for them. I really think the two extremes of the style (older crystal heavy vs newer drier light malt) are so different as to be considered different styles. I will brew both types in future, particularly the C-hop heavy caramel style which I think is a great match. The newer lighter style I think suit the newer tropical fruit hops.

Yeah same. The first craft beer i ever tried was james squire IPA more than 10 years ago. Was like nothing id ever tasted before! Without going into the history of the style back hundreds of years, the trend over recent years seems to be towards super dry, super bitter IPAs. Which are lovely but it's not the only way to brew an ipa

It's also the same basics that JS used in the first few iterations of Hop Thief.
Ale+Munich+Crystal+Simcoe+Columbus = HTA

Fantastic combo. I've had a few cracks at variants of this - more as an APA - and it can work really nicely. Bit of a trick to get the right balance I reckon but a great mix of elements where you get a rich maltiness, maybe a slight caramel element but no real sweetness, deep resinous hoppy undertone and a tropical fruitiness over the top.
HTA#2 was my gateway beer. Blew me away years ago

Stupid double post.

... So I may as well mention I added the 2nd lot of homemade Amber Candi syrup to my Dubbel 2 days ago. Came home late last night to discover it'd blown through the gladwrap & 8L of headspace(!!).

5th fkn blow-out in a row over 3 batches. Bloody Belgian (WLP-550) and Scottish (WLP-028) yeasts!!
If they didn't provide such great results I'd never touch them again!!
Sigh - more cleaning required this morning.

Hydro sample tasting awesome, at least.

If i was a style stickler i could change the 30 minute additions to 20 minute additions to bring the bitterness down under 45 which would put it in the APA range. But as it is it's easily in the ipa range for both colour, og and abv (according to beer smith 2)

Looks great!
I'd be keen to see whether you get the resinous element coming through strongly.
I struggled to work out how to get it to pop out. Whether it's determined by the timing of the addition (maybe while not adding Simcoe at the same addition) or if it's merely a quantity issue (ie: shed loads)

... Reminds me it's about time to have another crack at it.

I thought maybe more additions in the 30 to 20 minute range might do it. Maybe could get more resin and less fruit using older hops? It seems like the fruity aroma would fade first maybe?

Yeah, I think definitely the 20mins additions are where it's at. I'm inclined to think that's when I'd chuck in the Columbus. Then chuck in the Simcoe at 0 (assuming a simple schedule).

All my APAs feature a malt bill of pale (Maris Otter usually), Munich II and medium crystal. I just change up the hops to experiment with them or get some different flavours. But the malt bill works well for pretty well all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back