What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome. Definitely a direction I'm heading. I've done some very heavily hopped strong ales that aged up beautifully. More like hop wines, really.

Leftovers apa. Maris and a touch of heritage with whatever centennial and cascade remains in the fridge, added at 60 and whirlpool.
Slurry from recent ipa of denny's favourite.

Cracking day down here for brewing. Music, sun, birds and green everywhere. Help at times from my feline friends and a pint glass.

billygoat said:
Brewed a Burton/Strong Ale yesterday.
100% Maris Otter
Hops were Fuggles and EKG at 90 mins and 30 mins to around 90 IBU
Plenty of Gypsum added to the mash and using a 3L starter of Wyeast 1469.
Hit gravity spot on at 1.075.
Will be bottled and not touched for at least 6 months but will be much better at 12 months.
Have done this every November for the last 4 years, apart from last years one that I think got infected, they are a beautiful sweet, malty, resinous ale.
How many grams of hops is that? Sounds really nice

Pratty1 said:
Planning for a brew during the week if I can squeeze it in.

Base Jumper in Vermont

OG 1041
FG 1014
ABV 3.8
IBU 25
EBC 8

Mashed @ 70c for 30mins, Mash out @ 76.

25% Pale
25% PIls
25% Vienna
25% Wheat

Boiled for 60mins

Chinook FWH - 10ibu
Eldorado @ 5mins = 15ibu

Fermented with Vermont Ale Yeast @ 18c

Dry Hopped with Galaxy, Citra & Simcoe @ 7.5g/L for a few days.
On the weekend I changed my mind on this beer and made something else. the recipe will be done in the next few days using all whirlpool hops instead, chinook, mosaic and el dorado for 20Ibu and ferfmented with US05. same hop combo for dry hop but only 2g per ltre total so to have a nice summer quaffer.

However I did make this and its fermenting away very nicely @ 19c.

Hop Hands 2 ( Tired Hands Brewing USA )

OG 1048
FG 1008
ABV 5.2%
IBU 40
EBC 8

80% JW Ale
18% Rolled Oats
2% Acidulated

mashed @ 66c for 60mins with pH of 5.4

This beer is CHLORIDE forward like the NE IPA style beers in the US. Mash had 100ppm chloride and 50ppm sulphate.

60mins Boil

Columbus FWH = 18ibu

Before adding the 5mins hops at 10mins i added another 25ppm of Chloride to the boil.

Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe @ 5mins = 10ibu
Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe @ WP for 15mins = 12ibu

Pitched 250billion Vermont Ale yeast cells and added 90seconds of pure 02.

Dry hop is huge - 56g each of Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe = 9.3g/L :ph34r:

This beer will be cloudy and juicy with hops :beerbang:

Just cubed a SMASH brew 21L and waiting for the sample to cool in the fridge for a good OG reading.

Maris Otter x 3.8kg

Nelson Sauvin - 15g @60mins
Nelson Sauvin - 20g@15mins
Nelson Sauvin - 20g Dry hop, see how it goes, maybe about 5 days into the F.V. Any better suggestions on timings pls advise.

Expected OG - 1042
Expected FG - 1007
Acl%4-9

Yes, I've triple checked my figures this time after the RIS/RS Stout attempt. I thought surely I couldn't f$#k up a SMASH, but here goes...

RIS RIS all over the floor

Marris Otter Ale
Wheat
Caramunich
RB
JW Choc
forgot some oats
pinch of this and that because they were nearly empty packages of grain

2xdecoctions
3 1/2hr boil

dumped onto s-33 slurry from a 20ltr oat/choc stout, didn't think it looked like enough so chucked slurry from a 23 ltr batch of a coconut and vanilla ale (us05) onto it as well just to get things started

I think things have started - this pic is after one clean-up already, smells as epic as the mess!

DSC_0630.JPG

Heh heh..schadenfreude.. Any updates on the Beavertown neck oil project?

Dave70 said:
Heh heh..schadenfreude.. Any updates on the Beavertown neck oil project?
I have to do it again Dave, I tried to ferment it in a commercial keg with it (keg inlet / outlet) open via a coupler thing but i must have had it er, not open and it overcarbed itself into foam before I had realised - now that keg is a keggle and that's what feckin happens eh

A sort of Citra Smash is happening right now.

6kg Gladfield Pale
0.25kg Gladfield Aurora

60 mins - 50g Magnum 12.1%
0 mins - 200g Citra 14.1%
Dry Hop - 100g Citra 14.1% (length to be determined)

Yeast - US05 x 2 packs, rehydrated.

Ended up with about 25 litres in the kegmenter at 1055.

We were unsure that 100g was going to be enough, then the boys at the LHBS found a 300g back somewhere. Who am I to complain?

pcqypcqy said:
A sort of Citra Smash is happening right now.

6kg Gladfield Pale
0.25kg Gladfield Aurora

60 mins - 50g Magnum 12.1%
0 mins - 200g Citra 14.1%
Dry Hop - 100g Citra 14.1% (length to be determined)

Yeast - US05 x 2 packs, rehydrated.

Ended up with about 25 litres in the kegmenter at 1055.

We were unsure that 100g was going to be enough, then the boys at the LHBS found a 300g back somewhere. Who am I to complain?
What's the point of the 60 gram addition. That's bitterness you could be getting from more late citra!!

Gotta keep these things balanced. Plus it used up a half pack that I had in the freezer.

pcqypcqy said:
Gotta keep these things balanced. Plus it used up a half pack that I had in the freezer.
Coodgee is right.

the 50g will be about 100 IBU just from that addition.

the 200g Citra will add another ~ 100ibu if you whirl pooled for 10mins @ 10% utilization @ 90c

on a 1055, it willl be far from balanced. :unsure:

ABV would of balanced this, but you would of needed about a 1085 beer and for it to finish @ 1.014 or less

did you use any software to do this beer? or are you just having a play with the limits of beer?

200 ibu will go beyond the point of saturation but the point about balance still holds.

Personal taste not withstanding of course.

^ ^ the only thing balanced is the early ibu and the late ibu contributions right ?

we have all tried to get a really hoppy beer by adding stupid amounts of hops and too often its fails without the right water, pH and malt/abv to support the hop oils and bitterness.

However with Citra he may just get away with it :)

Pratty1 said:
^ ^ the only thing balanced is the early ibu and the late ibu contributions right ?
No. Balance is a synergistic and harmonious blend of the perfect, copious and diverse range of factors and formulae delicately and deliberately designed and executed through diligence, exactitude, experience and aplomb.

Or a happy accident.

Nonetheless, you can't get 200 actual IBU in a beer unless you are a magician.

What say you about those commercial 1000+ IBU quotes beers? Marketing sham then I suppose?

manticle said:
No. Balance is a synergistic and harmonious blend of the perfect, copious and diverse range of factors and formulae delicately and deliberately designed and executed through diligence, exactitude, experience and aplomb.
^ ^ fk that just made me laugh. :lol:

on the 200ibu stuff.

We have all heard the 100 ibu threshold and most cant tell the difference much past 100ibu but..........have you had the MIkkeller 1000ibu beer ?

we have a few times and id be fucked if that thing wasn't well and truly past 200 + ibu from an actual test, its disgustingly bitter and somehow has a resemblance of malt in the back ground that allows one to finish the beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back