What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your equipment, to allow you to do those overnight mashes?

Pratty1 said:
last nights overnight mash, i went with the 2 x 180m.

Pre boil target gravity was 1.046, hit a 1.052 - already at OG. lol

now its a 5.7% abv :D
Nice. There was a discussion on overnight mashing over on the BM forum and, iirc, everyone found a decent jump in efficiency using a long mash out. Some just program a normal mash to mash out, lift the pipe, press the button once to stop the beeping, and leave it overnight, get up next day and start the boil. Others program a long mash out.

^ my mash efficiency went up 5% more than I've had before. Correct pH helps too.

SBOB said:
What's your equipment, to allow you to do those overnight mashes?
Braumeister mate. I've finished brewing already. Up at 6am, boil started at 7am and cubed and cleaned up by 815am. Took 30mins last night to weigh malt, mill, add salts, mash in and check pH. 3hr brew. 4hrs when I use the cfc chiller as my knock out takes 45mins.

Trying Yob's flowers.

4kg Weyerman Pils
500g Weyerman Rye
50g Cluster FWH

MJ's renamed British Ale yeast...

The flowers smell so much like weed. It will be interesting to see what this beer brings.

indica86 said:
Trying Yob's flowers.
I used the victoria flowers from yob in my brew last weekend, smell was awesome. Can't wait to try it. It's fermenting like crazy now.

Pratty1 said:
Braumeister mate. I've finished brewing already. Up at 6am, boil started at 7am and cubed and cleaned up by 815am. Took 30mins last night to weigh malt, mill, add salts, mash in and check pH. 3hr brew. 4hrs when I use the cfc chiller as my knock out takes 45mins.
DO you notice any additional tannin or silicate extraction? it seems like even with the correct pH and gravity the mechanical action of 8 hours of circulating liquid might extract some. I am on a quest to eliminate any drying sensation in my beer at the moment... mash pH 5.2, sulphates, stopping sparging at 1020, RO sparge water. Not sure if it will make any difference but a possible avenue for improvement to explore.

indica86 said:
Trying Yob's flowers.

4kg Weyerman Pils
500g Weyerman Rye
50g Cluster FWH

MJ's renamed British Ale yeast...

The flowers smell so much like weed. It will be interesting to see what this beer brings.
Liberty bell yeast right?

I found that it stripped hop flavour a fair bit.... Next ESB that I do will use a liquid yeast of some description, or s-04....

Matplat said:
Liberty bell yeast right?

I found that it stripped hop flavour a fair bit.... Next ESB that I do will use a liquid yeast of some description, or s-04....
New World Strong.
My fav dry yeast - it's a beast.

SMASH in the fermenter at present.

Gladfield pilsner malt
Wakatu hops at 60 and 5min
US05
(+ small handfull of acidulated grain to get the ph down to 4.9).

After active fermentation I'll throw some dry hops in the primary for 3-4 days).
Trying to keep temp down around 17 degrees.

Bit of a rush brew, got the whole thing down in 3.5 hours.

Got "Yobs Aldi apple and mango cider" on the go now I have mini keg bling
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478751156.902921.jpg
This was day 1

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1478751189.758477.jpg
This is day 6

Yeast was 1/2 packet of Muttons Wheat (from a tin of goo) in each 2L bottle and ferment at 18 deg C. Smells good. Will crash chill maybe tomorrow night and mini keg Saturday (force carb).

Cubed my first sour today.

OG was 1.045 with:

70% Castle Pilsner
20% JW Wheat
10% Simpsons naked oats

Plus 100g of acid malt and 5g cal chloride.

Mashed for 2 hours starting at 67C. Cursory mash out.

10 IBU from Styrians at FWH (90 boil).

Tomorrow I'll pitch a 1.5L starter of something gnarly looking that I cultured up out of 2 different Fantome saisons (apparently not even Dany knows what ends up in his beers) plus an old pack of T58.

Also, thanks to Paulyman and /// for the advice on the dreg culturing and all my other pesky questions!!

A Cream Ale and an American Wheat done today.

Cream Ale:

82% BB Ale
16% Flaked Corn
2% Acid Malt

Mashed at 64 degrees

20 IBU from all Northern Brewer, 10g @ 60min and 10g @ 20min

Yeast: US05 (usually do it with Wyeast 2565 Kolsch)

American Wheat:

51% BB Wheat
44% BB Ale
3% Caramunich I
2% Acid Malt

Mashed at 66 degrees

30 IBU all from a Galaxy/Nelson Sauvin combo, 15g of each @ 15min, 15g of each @5min

Will dry hop a further 15g of each towards end of ferment.

US05 Yeast from slurry of a previous batch

Double batch saison.

30% Redx
30% pils
40% wheat

Mashed at 64.

Hallertau and styrians in the boil to 20IBU.

One batch will get belle saison and green tea the other will get a Brett saison blend and secondary on some peaches.

Broke my five month break from brewing. Been too long and my last keg just blew the other day. So decided to brew up two beers to start prepping for end of exams and Christmas.

APA
3.8kg Maris Otter
1.2kg Munich I
0.27kg Crystal
0.27kg Wheat
Cube - 20g Columbus
Cube - 20g Centennial
Cube - 20g Amarillo
Cube - 20g Simcoe
Dry Hop - 25g Columbus
Dry Hop - 25g Centennial
Dry Hop - 25g Amarillo
Dry Hop - 25g Simcoe
US-05 yeast

English Mild
3.2kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Biscuit
0.25kg Light Crystal
0.15kg Chocolate
0.1kg Dark Crystal
40g EKG @ 60min
British Ale II yeast

5 months!!!! I just went 5 weeks and was fanging hard toward the end!

Dunkelbrau

3 kg wheat
0.5kg pale ale
1.5kg munich
0.2kg caramel wheat
0.2kg carabohemian

30g Perle @60

Mashed at 66

Just pitched 3068 at 20deg this morning

Summer town water really makes the immersion chiller work for it!

1.5kg x Light extract
1.5kg x Wheat extract
500g x LDME
Galaxy 25,10,15 g @ 20,10,0 mins
US05.

Just bottled. Been a while since I brewed anything. Smells good!

Matplat said:
5 months!!!! I just went 5 weeks and was fanging hard toward the end!
Yeah earlier in the year I was brewed around 20 beers in just under 4 months for my birthday, a wedding + drinking so was actually good to have a bit of a break just to regain the enjoyment of it all. Can't wait to brew some more now! Probably going to pump out a All Cascade APA on Friday if all goes to plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back