What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just mashed in a bit of a US Brown type thingy. Using up some grain and what cascade hops are left on the bines.

48% vienna
38% pils
4% brown
4% choc
4% caramunich
2% amber

150g cascade @ mash
50g cascade @ FWH
150g cascade @ whirlpool
150g cascade @ dry hop

xx IBUs
I've got some old 1388 on the stir plate so will probably throw that at it.

Who knows how this will turn out..?

I've never thought to put hops in the mash before. What does this do to a beer? Just bitterness?

Mash hopping and first wort hopping are different.
Some experiments suggest fwh will provide similar ibu but a smoother tasting result than a similar amount at 60. I've tried it myself but don't really have a comparative side by side for reference. Certainly made nice beer with expected level of bitterness.

Mash hopping I have not tried but I have read a few people suggest it is a total waste of hops.

^ +1
Definitely have found FWH to be a good solid smooth bitterness, though I haven't done a side by side to compare properly.
Heard mash hopping was a waste of time, but never tried myself.

Working out a uk barleywine recipe on the fly.
8kg mo
100g mixed crystal
Teeny bit of toasty malts
Challenger and styrians to about 60 ibu
Small amount of whirlpool challenger and styrians.
3 hour boil.
Age.

I've only read about mash hopping being mostly a waste, but hey, it's the final brew before heading overseas (sound like a broken record) and the last of the hops picked. More just because they'd add minimal bitterness and 4 the lolz, plus I've never done it before.

Sample tasted pretty nice.

And I did add some scotch soaked oak dominoes to the cubes (2 in one cube, 4 in the other along with the scotch).

Slightly altered Dr. Smurtos Golden Ale for a quick for my mates 21st. Left it a bit late but it should be ready to go in time

OG: 1.049
IBU: 30

Grains:
2.8kg Golden Promise
1kg Munich I
1kg Wheat malt
0.3kg Caramalt

Hops:
10g Amarillo @ 60min
30g Amarillo @ cube
30h Cascade @ cube
Dry hop yet to be decided

Yeast:
M44 with 0.5L starter to get it going

Other:
Mash at 66 for 75min
Mash out and sparge at 78
Boil for 70min
Cube and pitch tomorrow

@sponge : gotta give this shit a go. I toasted a handful of french oak chips, tipped into a nip of 12 yo glen moray for 20 mins, then added to my main mash. Possibly an utter waste of very little effort, time or ingredients.

OS for good or just a happy trip?

OS for good (re: 2 years). 3 months travel, Xmas in Denmark with my family then off to the UK to work. Exciting times ahead.. I've managed to use up all my remaining base malt and freezer hops along with two old smackpacks in my last 2 brews, so just have a bunch of specs laying around now. Anyone want them?

I normally grab a ziplock bag and fill with a bit of port/scotch/bourbon (depending upon the mood) and get rid of the air before zipping shut. Leave to steep whilst brewing then add to the cube. If I'm feeling selfish, I'll have the whiskey myself.

Yeah normally I'd toast, add to whisky for a week and add to the conditioning beer.
I don't want a heavy oak character in this beer -just a subtle complexity.
Whisky that's had toasted oak in for a week is divine.
Best of luck OS.

Nullnvoid said:
I've never thought to put hops in the mash before. What does this do to a beer? Just bitterness?
Only done it the once... waste of time (and hops).

Marris/Columbus SMaSH. Made the mash smell (and taste) awesome. I was working on the advice it was equiv to a 20min addition (of around 1/2 or 1/3 the amount), so I only did a 60min kettle addition for bittering.

Aside from mashing a tad on the low side and the beer being a lacking in body, there was just *no* hop presence. T'was drinkable, just boring. Caveat - I used WLP008 (east coast ale) which I had noted on previous brews it stripped hop character vs same batch on '001/05/etc. So YMMV but I'll stick with late additions over mash hopping any day.

American Amber.. or brown maybe

90L batch

Malt forward water profile

78% pale malt
10% light Munich
7% dark caramel 100l
3% dark crystal 240l
2% med crystal 60l

Mash @ 66c/60min - 70c/10min - 76c/out

FWH
0.25g/l chinook 13%
0.25g/l simcoe 13.2%

10m
0.25g/l chinook 13%
0.25g/l simcoe 13.2%

Flame out
0.25g/l chinook 13%
0.25g/l simcoe 13.2%

Expected
Fg:1.011, 25ibu 4.5% alc

1st darker beer in a while hopefully it turns out ok. Wort is tasting pretty decent.

Splitting it.

60L with wyeast 1272 @ 19c
30L with US-05 @19c (for a mate that brews extract, trying to get him into all grain, will also be cool to compare the two yeasts on the same beer)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1457258343.021433.jpg

Pratty1 said:
Picked up a new high alpha dual purpose hop from the brew store so making a easy quaffed ale to try it out. I'd usually do 70/30 pils and wheat but I'm out of wheat so trying a new malt bill.

El Dorado Ale

20ibu
4.2% abv

75% Golden Promise
15% Vienna
10% Flaked Oats

65c/60mins

El Dorado FWH = 15ibu
Citra/Centennial @ 10mins = 5ibu

Fermented with US05

Dry hopped with 2.5g/L El Dorado for a few days.
yeah el dorado's not bad. i made an all-el dorado pale a while back. took a while for the flavours to mellow but once it did it was pretty sexy. really unique. i never got watermelon from it but got a mandarin-y citrus and a very subtle aniseed.

finally got a chance to brew again last week. been ages. new job and newborn = no brewing, no sleep, and no down time! :blink:

decided on a super simple pale ale to fill the keg quickly.

jw traditional ale 90
jw wheat 8
jw crystal 2
65c/1.044-1.008
all amarillo to 30 ibu and 1g/l dry
us-05 at 17

sex in my mouth.

Pratty1 said:
Planning another No Chill IPA - cube only addition.

The previous Black Citra IPA turned out pretty tasty so this time Id like to see how the hops come through without that black malts.

American IPA

OG 1057
FG 1009
ABV 6.4%
IBU 62 (calc is 15min addition)
EBC 10
Vol 20Lt

89% Golden Promise
5% Carapils
4% Dextrose
2% Light Crystal

Mashed @ 65c/60m, 74c/20m

Boiled for 60mins with cube only addition

50g - Centennial
50g - Simcoe

Pitched onto US05 Yeast cake and fermented @ 22c

Dry Hopped with 5g/L Chinook hops

:super:
I pitched this no chilled beer into the yeast cake last night at 745pm after transferring the Eldorado ale into the Hopping Keg. I checked it before bed at 1030pm and the beer had begun fermenting @ 22c in < 3hrs - a solid krausen :D

fletcher said:
yeah el dorado's not bad. i made an all-el dorado pale a while back. took a while for the flavours to mellow but once it did it was pretty sexy. really unique. i never got watermelon from it but got a mandarin-y citrus and a very subtle aniseed.
I dry hopped this yesterday ( transferred to a keg ) 48g into 19lts = 2.5g/L - it will be flipped each hour this arvo when i get home and then cold crashed ( flipping keg to increase contact time ) I get pink candy aroma !

Pratty1 said:
I dry hopped this yesterday ( transferred to a keg ) 48g into 19lts = 2.5g/L - it will be flipped each hour this arvo when i get home and then cold crashed ( flipping keg to increase contact time ) I get pink candy aroma !
nice! yeah mine (stupidly) had no flavour addition and i dumped the majority in at 5 mins and dry - which is probably the reason it took a while to mellow out. interested to hear how yours turns out mate, but it'll likely be a ripper like all your others! :)

ps, i wish we'd hurry up and hear about the vic's comp! would be great to catch up with ya before it for a few brews :)

IPA time…
Want to get a good taste of Brooklyn hops…..

BIAB, no chill.

Recipe: Hop2iT XVII
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
————————–

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 19.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 68.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:
————
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
1.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 74.4 %
0.50 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 7.4 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 7.4 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 7 7.4 %
0.20 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC) Grain 8 3.0 %
0.02 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 9 0.3 %
20.00 g Brooklyn - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 10 33.4 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
40.00 g Brooklyn - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 12 18.4 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 13 5.0 IBUs
20.00 g Chinook - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 14 6.8 IBUs
20.00 g Hallertau Blanc - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 15 4.5 IBUs
50.00 g Brooklyn - Dry Hop
50.00 g Hallertau Blanc - Dry Hop

Total Grain Weight: 6.72 kg

————————————————————————————-

fletcher said:
nice! yeah mine (stupidly) had no flavour addition and i dumped the majority in at 5 mins and dry - which is probably the reason it took a while to mellow out. interested to hear how yours turns out mate, but it'll likely be a ripper like all your others! :)

ps, i wish we'd hurry up and hear about the vic's comp! would be great to catch up with ya before it for a few brews :)
The keg will be cold crashed tomorrow, Im hoping to have it ready to take to a mates place for easter weekend.

The Vic has been postponed till Oct during Beer week, there was an email about it. The ATO and liquor gaming know the brewers are not paying excise and no one has a licence to sell there beer so being paid for the day is illegal, but its mainly due to the excise issue.

You should check out the Beer Deluxe comp for Homebrew Hero, i created a thread for that. not the same thing as The Vic but a comp worth getting a beer or 2 into.

Pratty1 said:
Making an IPA this weekend....

Dear San Diego IPA

OG 1059
FG 1010
ABV 6.3%
IBU 60
EBC 9

65% Pilsner
22% Golden Promise
8% Rye
5% Carapils

Mashed at 65c for 60mins adding gypsum with mash and boil.

90min boil

Warrior @90mins = 37ibu
Cascade / Chinook @ 10m = 23ibu
Simcoe whirlpooled - 2g/L @ <85c for 10mins

Fermented with US05 @ 18c for 4-5days

Dry hopped for 3-4days:

2g/L Columbus
1g/L Simcoe
1g/L Cascade
This beer got infected......So I will be making it again this weekend but via No chill method.

Same malt bill but adjusting the hops to suit.

Warrior will be FWH to round that out
Cascade / Chinook still @ 10mins
Simcoe will be cube hopped

Ferment temp will be higher @ 22c - pitching again direct into yeast cake.

Dry Hopped with Columbus, Simcoe and Cascade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back