What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Porter 3

Planning to do a split keg when completed - 1 will be served on nitro and the other dry hopped with 3 or 4g/L and served on Co2

4.8% Abv
35ibu
61 ebc

75% MO
10% Munich
5% Medium Crystal
4% Chocolate Wheat
3% Dark Crystal
3% Black Patent

Mashed @ 68c for 60mins

60 minute boil

Chinook @ 40mins = 27ibu
Cascade Cube addition = 8ibu

Fermented with Burton Ale Yeast WLP023 - perfect for porters!!

Even though its summer, I haven't made a black beer since end of may start of June. Last beer of the year!

Rocker1986 said:
I'd guess a lighter shade of red, mine turns out quite a deep ruby red, almost purple colour in the right light.

1896841_10203430680916292_1794055654_n.jpg
Oooh yeah, thats a cracker mate, thanks for the piccie.

I'm getting excited, will pitch tomorrow, and find out mid January whats its like ;)

Code:
12-22-2015  Bier de Garde

Brewing Date: Tuesday December 22, 2015
Head Brewer:  John M Fraser
Asst Brewer:  
Recipe:       Bier de Garde

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

16-D  Belgian & French Ale, Biere de Garde

Min OG:  1.060   Max OG:  1.080
Min IBU:    20   Max IBU:    30
Min Clr:     6   Max Clr:    19  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          26.00    Wort Size (L):    26.00
Total Grain (Kg):         7.00
Anticipated OG:          1.064    Plato:            15.57
Anticipated SRM:          10.3
Anticipated IBU:          26.2
Brewhouse Efficiency:       74 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Actual OG:  1.070   Plato: 17.11
Actual FG:  1.012   Plato:  3.07

Alc by Weight:  6.03      by Volume:  7.71  From Measured Gravities.
ADF:            82.1      RDF         68.4  Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 42.9     3.00 kg.  Pilsener                      Great Britian  1.036      2
 42.9     3.00 kg.  Vienna Malt                   Germany        1.037      3
  7.1     0.50 kg.  Cane Sugar                    Generic        1.046      0
  2.9     0.20 kg.  Special B                     Belgium        1.034    150
  4.3     0.30 kg.  Aromatic Malt                 Belgium        1.036     25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 90.00 g.     East Kent Goldings                Pellet   3.20  26.2  60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch

going to do a helles and a bo pils tomorrow. Already have a Rye dunkel in in primary so it will be 3 lagers on tap in February!

Doing yet another brew day on Thursday, this will be my last for the year I'd imagine, and I want to get it done before Chrissy and the last couple of Test matches of the summer. It's unlikely to end up in a fermenter before I go back to work though since I have the Chinook pale ale going in after the red ale is kegged in a couple of weeks or whenever.

Anywho…. since I now have some English ale yeast, it's time to revisit a style I have not brewed for some time, that being an English Pale Ale, specifically the Special/Best Bitter category. I do enjoy good examples of these beers so I'm keen to get good at this style as well as my other two favourites that I've worked on over time and recently being APAs and Bo Pils. I also realise that Caraaroma probably isn't a standard ingredient in these beers but it seems to be the only crystal grain I've used that really brings out that toffee/caramel flavour that I have noted in beers of this type.

So, onto the recipe, based on 72.5% efficiency.

4.500 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 92.4 %
0.200 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 4.1 %
0.150 kg Caraaroma (256.1 EBC) Grain 3 3.1 %
0.020 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1300.2 EBC) Grain 4 0.4 %

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent {6.40 %} - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 5 15.6 IBUs
20.00 g Fuggles {5.40 %} - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 5.7 IBUs
20.00 g Fuggles {5.40 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
20.00 g Goldings, East Kent {6.40 %} - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs
Harvested Wy1318 London Ale III Yeast.

90 minute mash at 66-67C followed by a 10 minute mash out at 78C. 75 minute boil time.
Aiming for 25 litres into the FV.

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.3 %
Bitterness: 36.1 IBUs
Est Color: 22.3 EBC

My new habit of periodically stirring the mash throughout the 90 minutes and again through the heating up to, during, and after mash out seems to have gotten me some extra gravity points on the last couple of batches, but I want to confirm this over a few more before increasing my efficiency number used in Beersmith. Also having discovered my hydrometer is reading two points lower than the actual SG has helped bump up the efficiency as well…
cus_lol.gif

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out once it's ready to drink.
cus_happy.gif

Back to back no-chill brewing today..
1st up:

Samuels Brothers APA (23l batch) NO CHILL

5.3 kg JW Trad Ale
300g Caramunich II
285g Carapils
160g Pale Crystal (Bairds)
4.5g Ca SO4 3.1g CaCl

Mashed at 68 for 3 hrs (attempted xmas shopping with the fam- only dropped 1 degree)

14g Magnum (14%AA) @ 60
15g Perle (6.3%AA) @ 10
4g Brewbrite and 1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 10

50g Centennial (9.6%AA) and 33g Homegrown Cascade flowers cube hop

Will dry hop with 1g/l Centennial and Cascade

Yeast: US-05

2nd brew:

Samuels Brothers Marzen (23L) NO CHILL

3Kg Wey Pilsener
1Kg Heidelberg (Best Maltz)
1Kg Vienna
500g Munich (Best Maltz)
3.9g CaCl

Mash at 67 for 70

69g Saaz @ 60
4g Brewbrite and 1 tsp yeast nutrient at 10
11g Homegrown Hersbrucker flowers into cube

90 min boil

Yeast will be Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II

Have you used 2352 before? I thought about it, but the consensus on the yank home brew forums was that it wasn't that great.

Brewed again today

Batch size: 40 litres
Ingredients:
5.5 kg Briess Bavarian Wheat DME (o.g. - 1.051)
39g 3.5%AA Saaz plugs (60 min boil) 9.4 IBU
30g 4% AA Saaz plugs (10 minute boil) ~1.6 IBU
Yeast nutrient and (old) Whirfloc at 10 min from end of boil

No-chill overnight and pitch W3638 tomorrow morning, coz I'm off work for a cuppla weeks

I've used half my 50 lb bag of Briess weizen DME now.

Boil 60 minutes

Coodgee said:
An all dme brew. Is this common?
Sorry, I thought I was posting in the brewing thread, not the all-grain brewing thread. May not have been the intended direction, but sounded elitist.

I made quite a few all-DME extract brews back in the days when I was buying 25 kg boxes of Muntons DME or Wheat DME for just over $100.

May not have been the absolute best quality, but combined with specialty grains, fresh hops and liquid yeast, you can produce some awesome drinkables.

Pretty sure coodgee wasn't coming from that direction - more wondering about all dme as opposed to 75:25 dme:dex or similar.

At least that was my take, coodgee can confirm/deny.

Coodgee said:
Have you used 2352 before? I thought about it, but the consensus on the yank home brew forums was that it wasn't that great.
No I haven't, the recipe I've used is only a slight variation on a tried and tested one, intentionally to see how the yeast behaves.

I had read that diacetyl can be thrown but nothing a decent rest and time won't fix.. I am intentionally looking for a bit of ester profile in this one, and I am also a bit of a sucker when it comes to playing with the PC range.

Judanero said:
No I haven't, the recipe I've used is only a slight variation on a tried and tested one, intentionally to see how the yeast behaves.

I had read that diacetyl can be thrown but nothing a decent rest and time won't fix.. I am intentionally looking for a bit of ester profile in this one, and I am also a bit of a sucker when it comes to playing with the PC range.
Yeah me too man. I brewed a series of ipas and apas recently with the west coast ipa PC. Really good yeast- really lays the hops and malt flavor bare.

For lagers I'm not adventurous enough to go for lager esters just yet. I like a clean lager.

Les the Weizguy said:
Sorry, I thought I was posting in the brewing thread, not the all-grain brewing thread. May not have been the intended direction, but sounded elitist.

I made quite a few all-DME extract brews back in the days when I was buying 25 kg boxes of Muntons DME or Wheat DME for just over $100.

May not have been the absolute best quality, but combined with specialty grains, fresh hops and liquid yeast, you can produce some awesome drinkables.
Sorry man eh. Not trying to be elitist just got a bit lazy typing on the phone. I was just meaning dry malt instead of liquid malt extract. I'd only ever seen recipes that had liquid malt supplemented with some dme.

Sorry man just sitting in my hammock after sampling the latest batch. Not trying to be anything but friendly and jovial eh

All good. Maybe I'm snappy at the moment. Just like you, no offence meant, just clarifying.
I'm also planning a beer or 3 with Wyeast 2352 Munich Lager II, but I may have cooked the package in the car on the day I bought it, as the pack didn't swell.
I'll try to culture it anyway.

Coodgee said:
For lagers I'm not adventurous enough to go for lager esters just yet. I like a clean lager.
Same here, I've only ever pushed lager yeast esters when used in a porter- and it came out very nice, which got me thinking to try it in something pale...

Now I'm kind of second guessing it though :unsure:

Final Beer for 2015!

Little Brother IPA

OG 1042
FG 1010
IBU 45

68% Pils
22% Maris Otter
8% Carapils
2% Crystal 10

Mashed @ 66c for 60mins - Sulfate @ 250ppm, Chloride @ 100ppm, pH @ 5.3

Boil for 60mins

FWH with Columbus = 22ibu
5min addition of Amarillo, Centennial, Mosaic, Citra, Chinook, Zythos = 23ibu

Fermented with English So4 @ 19c

Dry Hopped with 100g Summer for 4days, then 50g of Galaxy for 2 days.

:beerbang:

Rocker1986 said:
I'd guess a lighter shade of red, mine turns out quite a deep ruby red, almost purple colour in the right light.
That is damn sexy!

As a Brewer in the 80's My old man gave up pretty easy but now he wants to ferment some beer for his consumption and he loves all my beers but he really likes light beers bcoz he can drink them all day if he wants to. So Hes gunna buy cubes off me to ferment. He's a fan of tooheys blue cans and I tell ya what they are not bad for a light beer.
Anyway nothing like tooheys blue but I'm brewing my first low alc beer which is docs session light
69litre batch
27ibu
Og 1.037
Fg 1.0??
90% MO
10% dark wheat malt
68°c mash temp

Magnum 40gms 40mins
Cascade 40gms at flameout
Let sit 15 mins
Cascade 40gms then whirlpool
Let sit 15mins then cube.
His first beer to ferment will be this one and I
Reckon he'll love that. Then I'll talk him into gettin a little keg setup so I can drink it when I go over there. [emoji106]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back