What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fletcher said:
made a big IPA today. very excited for the dry hopping and tasting

tank attack IPA (anyone else ever remember that computer game from 1981/2?)

80 pale
10 vienna
6 crystal
4 carapils
1.066 at 67C

22 ibu columbus at 60
25 ibu simcoe at 20
22 ibu columbus at 15
8 ibu columbus/simcoe/centennial at 5

probably dry hop all three hops combined at about 3g/L

2x us05 at 16c

cannot wait!
That combo looks great Fletcher. Im making a IPA this weekend - I will bottle a few for you and we can do a swap!

# 47 - India Red Ale - Anzac Day IPA

OG - 1.063
ABV - 6.7%
IBU - 83
EBC - 62
Vol - 21lt

80% Floor Malted Golden Promise
10% Dark Wheat Malt
5% Caramunich II
4% Dextrose
1% Roasted Barley

Columbus @ 60m - 31ibu
Centennial @ 30m - 17ibu
Columbus @ 15m - 15ibu
Centennial @ 10m - 10ibu
Columbus Whirlpooled 10m - 10ibu

Yeast - 2 x M44 West Coast Re-hydrated and pitched at 17c.

Dry Hopping - 42g each of Columbus & Centennial for 5days at the end of ferment.

Mashing at 65c to get a slight dry finish.

Pratty1 said:
That combo looks great Fletcher. Im making a IPA this weekend - I will bottle a few for you and we can do a swap!
awesome mate. sounds good to me! oh i just looked at your recipe...i WANT :)

Just running off the first beer in a while.

Forty litres of APA.
Pale + Vienna + Wheat + Crystal to 1.047 and Simcoe and Motueka to around 30IBU. Keeping it pretty low on the late hops for a party of Corona drinkers.
Had a mate around to see the whole process. May have converted another to the dark side!

A variation of something I brewed 2 years ago for ANZAC day. Also got a mate who is keen on home brewing and my beer so giving him a run through BIAB.

Tribute II
American Amber Ale
67.5% JW Pale
20% JW Vienna
6% JW Amber
6% Wey CaraAroma
0.5% JW Chocolate

66/72/78
60/10/Raise Bag

Magnum to 7.5 IBU FWH
Ahtanum, Citra and Super Alpha in cube (20 mins) to 32 IBU
Wy Greenbelt @ 18C
Ahtanum, Citra and Super Alpha dry hop to about 2g/l
Second cube gets Ahtanum, Citra and Super Alpha keg hop to about 2g/l

39.5 IBU
27.9 EBC

Should be ready for ANZAC day

Yesterday I brewed an extract IPA with 2.25kg of fresh Galaxy hops. It smelled incredible!

Galaxy Wet Hopped IPA
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
IBU: 60ish
EBC: 17
ABV: 6.9%

89.5% light dried malt extract
5.5% NFH Crackerjack biscuit malt
5% Dextrose

750g Galaxy @ 0 min (25 min steep)
1.5kg Galaxy @ < 80C (50 min steep)

US-05

freshhopipaurnfullofhopssmall.jpg

brewtas said:
Yesterday I brewed an extract IPA with 2.25kg of fresh Galaxy hops. It smelled incredible!

Galaxy Wet Hopped IPA
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
IBU: 60ish
EBC: 17
ABV: 6.9%

89.5% light dried malt extract
5.5% NFH Crackerjack biscuit malt
5% Dextrose

750g Galaxy @ 0 min (25 min steep)
1.5kg Galaxy @ < 80C (50 min steep)

US-05
Shit man! Go hard or go home!

It was 20L into the fermenter. my urn was 60% full of hops after transfer! HPA gave Hobart Brewers a 20kg box of fresh picked hops so I had to make sure they didn't go to waste. :beerbang:

Wet hops are worth 1/5 of dry hops at best. I saw in For the Love of Hops that it might be as low as 1/7 or 1/8 though so I guess I added the equivalent of between 280-450g of dry flowers.

Holy snapping duckshit that's a lot of galaxy!
It'll be worth the drive down south just to try one!

You're always welcome here mate. It used the last of my Crackerjack so I'll have to get a re-up of that sometime too.

I'm sure I can hook you up with a bit if that. I should have some Munich for you to try by then too...

Back on topic though, should be brewing a pale ale/esb tomorrow with some wild hops I picked a couple weeks ago. Not sure of the variety but my guess from the smell is a golding of some kind.

90% ale malt
5% Crackerjack
3% Crystal wheat
2% extra dark crystal wheat
Ella at 60min to 25IBU
Wild hops at 10 and flameout.
wyeast 1187

Not For Horses said:
I'm sure I can hook you up with a bit if that. I should have some Munich for you to try by then too...

Back on topic though, should be brewing a pale ale/esb tomorrow with some wild hops I picked a couple weeks ago. Not sure of the variety but my guess from the smell is a golding of some kind.

90% ale malt
5% Crackerjack
3% Crystal wheat
2% extra dark crystal wheat
Ella at 60min to 25IBU
Wild hops at 10 and flameout.
wyeast 1187
wild hops?

fletcher said:
wild hops?
Well kind of. Growing on a fence down by the river in the town I went to school in. Asked the property owner about them and he knew they were hops but that was it. Said he'd try killing them for years but they just keep coming back. The previous owner was a keen gardener and liked the look of the flowers.

Tasmanians hey. They live in a magical land of amazing food, beer, wine & scotch, pristine forests and untouched beaches, and hops grow wild in the neighbourhood. No wonder they don't have jobs! (That's a compliment btw)

Yeah it's pretty awesome if you like to eat and drink! Commercial hops grown 50min drive away, barley about 45min. The orchard I get my cider apples from is 20min drive. Closest vineyard is probably 15 minutes.

Not For Horses said:
Well kind of. Growing on a fence down by the river in the town I went to school in. Asked the property owner about them and he knew they were hops but that was it. Said he'd try killing them for years but they just keep coming back. The previous owner was a keen gardener and liked the look of the flowers.
use them by themselves in a beer? see what they are. that's awesome

Back