What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scon said:
Wait - I see my early notes and it looks like it was closer to 35% rye... still the most I've ever put into a beer. I went high on the caramel ~ 8% and a fair bit of chocolate to increase colour and body - will be interesting to see if it turns out well.

For hops I've just used a mixture of Chinook and CTZ with additions at 60/30/15 and flameout.

Yeah - no idea how it'll actually turn out but it should be interesting anyways.
Thanks Scon, hope your dry hopping with them too :icon_drool2:

mofox1 said:
Hadn't considered malted oat, or even knew it existed... damn this eye-opening forum! :DHow does malted oat go in the mash as compared to (unmalted) rolled outs?(Recipe looks good too.)
Never had much luck with normal oats, never noticed that creaminess in the body or smoothness, regardless of using traditional, rolled, quick, added to the mash, cereal mashed ( 19% in a mild ) so I just use malted oats. Don't use them very much but I found them when I was looking for crystal so figured they'd be good for a porter. Ive used malted a few times before but can't really remember how much contribution they made. Last time was only 3% so we'll see this time.

If I don't feel that I can pick up any contribution this time i won't get them again. Could be me though, I've had commercial oatmeal stouts that I don't think we're more creamy than others. Maybe I'm expecting too much, or have poor taste buds haha

scon said:
Wait - I see my early notes and it looks like it was closer to 35% rye... still the most I've ever put into a beer. I went high on the caramel ~ 8% and a fair bit of chocolate to increase colour and body - will be interesting to see if it turns out well.

For hops I've just used a mixture of Chinook and CTZ with additions at 60/30/15 and flameout.

Yeah - no idea how it'll actually turn out but it should be interesting anyways.
Did a similar bill a while back, 46.5% MO, 30% Rye, 20% Wheat, 3% CaraAroma, 0.5% Roasted Wheat
Tett & Perle for bittering, and some Ella 0mins to get to around 40 IBUs.

The caraaroma packs a serious punch... could have sworn it was a ~10% crystal beer when drinking it.

Finished up the last bottle on the weekend, and damn I was sad there wasn't more! It might even make house beer status.

mje1980 said:
Never had much luck with normal oats, never noticed that creaminess in the body or smoothness, regardless of using traditional, rolled, quick, added to the mash, cereal mashed ( 19% in a mild ) so I just use malted oats. Don't use them very much but I found them when I was looking for crystal so figured they'd be good for a porter. Ive used malted a few times before but can't really remember how much contribution they made. Last time was only 3% so we'll see this time.

If I don't feel that I can pick up any contribution this time i won't get them again. Could be me though, I've had commercial oatmeal stouts that I don't think we're more creamy than others. Maybe I'm expecting too much, or have poor taste buds haha
Ive had similar thoughts on my very short exp with using rolled oats (I just boiled crap outta them until gluggy and added to mash at beginning)... mouthfeel is no different to any other beer and I found there was an odd flavour in the stout I could only attribute to cooked oats...

Nice to know there are malted oats around but wonder given how many people rave about oatmeal stouts or stouts using oats for mouthfeel, whether there is some fundamental part of the process we are omitting???

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Ive had similar thoughts on my very short exp with using rolled oats (I just boiled crap outta them until gluggy and added to mash at beginning)... mouthfeel is no different to any other beer and I found there was an odd flavour in the stout I could only attribute to cooked oats...
Nice to know there are malted oats around but wonder given how many people rave about oatmeal stouts or stouts using oats for mouthfeel, whether there is some fundamental part of the process we are omitting???
Dunno, I tried in the mash a few times. Might have made a tiny difference but not huge. Then I tried a cereal mash, 19% of the grist as oats. It was a mild and again, maybe a slight difference, but not huge.

Now I'll end up using oats in the next few brews, thanks :)!!

Pratty what's your % and process ??

Hi mje,

When I made my first oatmeal stout I used 12% malted oats, second time round changed that to 12% flaked oats and that style was far better for it. The flaked oats gave a much more creamy, oily malt flavour with a persistent head. I plan to use the same amount on my next OS but this time toast the oats at 170c for 20mins to brown them before mashing and that will get a new flavour.

On my AAA I have started to add 5% flaked oats and this help to smooth the amount of crystal malts I was using and also give that extra fluffy head retention. At 5% it doesn't impart the oiliness that it can when you make a stout at + 10%.

Finally I use a small amount (2%) when making my Black IPA, it's combined with small amounts of other malts like roasted barley, midnight wheat and melnoiden, combined I find a smoother finish to what can be more stout like without the oats or melanoiden.

There are a few examples of what I have used and tweaked with recipes adding oats, it certainly doesn't add any kind of wow factor to the beer but it certainly aids in contributing to the overall flavour and desired outcome I like with my beers.

Hope that helps.

Nick R said:
I just cubed up an easy drinker for Christmas:

Summer Summer Ale

2.5kg Golden Promise
2.5kg BB Wheat Malt
200g acid malt

mash at 65c

Summer hops 5.3%:
20g at 30 mins
30g at 5
30g at 0

Will be fermented with American Ale Yeast Blend nice and cool for the crispness.
looks a winner mate. i've been meaning to make almost the exact same brew. will have to do it early in the new year if not before.

Pale for the masses Xmas day.

Concerto
Pils
Wheat
touch of sugar

POR bittering
Galaxy and Citra from 15 minutes down

4.6%
32IBU

Gravity sample tastes and smells amazing.
Can't wait for this one.

Pratty1 said:
When I made my first oatmeal stout I used 12% malted oats, second time round changed that to 12% flaked oats and that style was far better for it. The flaked oats gave a much more creamy, oily malt flavour with a persistent head. I plan to use the same amount on my next OS but this time toast the oats at 170c for 20mins to brown them before mashing and that will get a new flavour.
Be careful with toasting Pratty.
I toast some of the Maris in a Sam Smith India Ale clone I make,
175c for 15minutes and they are almost burnt, certainly fills the house with smoke when you open the oven at the end.
Maybe the oats will take the heat a bit longer, I don't know but i'd be keeping a good eye on it...or if you have bad eyes, keep a bad eye on it.

Pratty1 said:
Hi mje,
On my AAA I have started to add 5% flaked oats and this help to smooth the amount of crystal malts I was using and also give that extra fluffy head retention. At 5% it doesn't impart the oiliness that it can when you make a stout at + 10%.
Finally I use a small amount (2%) when making my Black IPA, it's combined with small amounts of other malts like roasted barley, midnight wheat and melnoiden, combined I find a smoother finish to what can be more stout like without the oats or melanoiden.
There are a few examples of what I have used and tweaked with recipes adding oats, it certainly doesn't add any kind of wow factor to the beer but it certainly aids in contributing to the overall flavour and desired outcome I like with my beers.
Hope that helps.

Cheers mate. Guess what I'll be brewing soon haha. I'll give the flaked oats a go once I'm finished the malted. Might do identical stouts with flaked vs malted.

yum beer said:
Be careful with toasting Pratty.
I toast some of the Maris in a Sam Smith India Ale clone I make,
175c for 15minutes and they are almost burnt, certainly fills the house with smoke when you open the oven at the end.
Maybe the oats will take the heat a bit longer, I don't know but i'd be keeping a good eye on it...or if you have bad eyes, keep a bad eye on it.
thanks for that, I will lower the temp to 150c and keep an eye on it.

mje1980 said:
Cheers mate. Guess what I'll be brewing soon haha. I'll give the flaked oats a go once I'm finished the malted. Might do identical stouts with flaked vs malted.
Definately go with the malted, then try the flaked. I just use an Aldi brand of flaked oats which is $1.80 for 1kg. For me the flaked was a better beer.

Something to research is doing a beta glucon rest for the oats. its done for 20mins at 30-35c. I have done it with and without and couldnt say if it matters.

Oh yeah the beta rest, I tried that too haha same deal. Poor taste buds probably

Pratty1 said:
+1. My black IPA also has a small amount of oats which I find to give it a smooth finish and improved mouthfeel.

Oaked porter

78.9% MO
6.1% sugaz
5.3% medium crystal
5.3% pale choc
2.6% black
1.8% cara aroma

Challenger 60,10

33 IBU

Irish ale

Once it's done, I'm going to add 60g of rum soaked oak dominoes for 4-6 weeks then I'll bottle.

Another pale.

81.7% MO
13.6% wheat
4.6% crystal dark

20g Warrior @ 60
25g Magnum @ 5
(May be slightly unbalanced I know)
55 IBU

Not sure what yeast yet.

CF

CrookedFingers said:
Another pale.

81.7% MO
13.6% wheat
4.6% crystal dark

20g Warrior @ 60
25g Magnum @ 5
(May be slightly unbalanced I know)
55 IBU

Not sure what yeast yet.

CF
not really CF, I think that will be along the lines of the true American IPA, east coast style with lots of bittering from the 60m addition.

I have my New Years Eve East Coast IPA planned using Warrior to 35ibu and Chinook to 17ibu from a 60min (52ibu) addition then using even amount of simcoe and centennial late in the kettle for flavor, will be solid bitterness lingering.

Reason for this is most of today's American IPA's ( which I Love :icon_drool2: ) are more about getting only 1/4 of the bitterness IBU from the 60m and loading up late/whirlpool & dry hop to attain the remainder, they are awesome that way and I make them like that but to change it up, solid bittering charge. :super:

Cheers for that pratty.
I originally calculated the bitterness to be in the high 30's but that was on a 30 min boil, then auto pilot kicked in and I set my timers for an hour boil.
Haha.
Cubed it overnight and will whack it in the fermenter with some US05 today and get it going.

CF

My first Irish red-
2.5kg MO
1kg Mun 2
1kg Rye
600g Crystal 50
300g Crystal Wheat
100g Choc dark.

EKG 30g @ 60
EKG 20g @ 20
Yeast WPL002 Eng Ale.

Vol 21lL,
OG 1.059
FG 1.016

5 days in and it is almost done and looking ruby red and clear as a bell.

Another 2 points to go and it is tasting outstanding. Looking forward to trying this in a fortnight.

Latest posts

Back