What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pajs said:
A Schwarzbier is next. Also going to try an all Dingeman's Aromatic malt SMaSH Octoberfest.
100% aromatic sounds intense! I can't picture it just from smelling the dry malt.

Nick R said:
100% aromatic sounds intense! I can't picture it just from smelling the dry malt.
It's got enough power to convert & I've read of it being used in this way before, so seemed worth a go for a 9-11 litre sized batch. I've not used the Dingeman's Aromatic before. Have quite a bit of Hallertauer that should go well with it. If not, I'll blend it into a German Pilsner batch.

Knights of Columbus

American IPA

OG - 1.075
IBU - 75
ABv - 7.2%

91% Golden Promise Ale
5% Caramunich T1
4% Carapils

Columbus @ 60m
Columbus @ 30m
Centennial @ 15m
Columbus @ 5m

Whitelabs San Diego Super Yeast @ 19c

Dry Hopped with Columbus - 35g for 7days after ferment.

Last Sunday in a backyard far, far away a novice brewer tries to improve his efficiency ...

The Bitter Horizon

OG 1042, 24l.

3kgs Pale Ale Malt
2kgs Wheat Malt
.1kgs Dark Dried Malt Extract

First Mash:

90m @ 60°C
60m @ 65°C
30m @ 70°C

Second Mash:

30m @ 65°C

Boil Schedule:

20g Horizon @ 60m
50g Horizon @ 20m
10g Horizon @ 5m

MJ Workhorse M10.

Simple aussie lager today, mostly for a keg for a mates housewarming, he a good bloke who always helps me out when I need something so thought I'd repay the favor. Also going to bottle some for a guy at work who gave me some medallion club seats.

Pils malt

POR to 16 IBU

probably just use an ale yeast..

sp0rk said:
After checking through the old recipes that Stu put up, I'm doing an easy drinking ale for my mates

88% - JW Ale
8% - Wheat Malt
4% - Dark Crystal

PoR to 32IBU, additions at 60 and flame out
Still trying to decide whether I'll just use US05 or if I'll get some Coopers Pale longies and grow up their yeast

*edit*
Whoops, I don't have any dark drystal (was going to use Caraaroma), I'll have to use caramalt or pale crystal instead
looks AMAZING mate. i did one almost exactly the same and believe it or not, used dry windsor yeast. worked a real treat. the POR bitterness paired beautifully with the nutty windsor.

Nick R said:
Let us know how it goes
Just made that 100% Dingeman's Aromatic Malt SMaSH beer, with Hallertauer Mittlefruh for hops to 27 IBU. Definitely overshot the colour range for Oktoberfest/Marzen, so with 38 EBC this is more into Munich Dunkel type territory. Overshot on final gravity too, 1058 rather than the 1050 target. I took the bag to 78 for a mash out, which I usually don't bother doing, and sparged, which might be why efficiency ended up at 77% and gravity went high. Anyway, it's a malty wort! Pretty intense flavours, including some slight husk-y/astringent characters which should play nicely against the malt. Might be interesting to try Northern Brewer with this malt as a SMaSH too. Lager yeast pitch in the morning, then off to the cool shed for a cold ferment and we'll see how it turns out.

fletcher said:
looks AMAZING mate. i did one almost exactly the same and believe it or not, used dry windsor yeast. worked a real treat. the POR bitterness paired beautifully with the nutty windsor.
I might give it a go
It'll probably sit in the cube for a couple of weeks until I've finished bombing my house with waves of bleach and then vinegar, I want to eliminate this damn mould that keeps infecting my beers

Got another IPA planned for the weekend, this time with rye.

Considering subbing the Chinook for CTZ to favour the dank a bit heavier than the Chinook would, should still have tons of grapefruit/citrus from the Simcoe and Cascade. I do love Chinook though, damn tough decisions.

IPA 6 (rye)
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 42.0
Total Grain (kg): 14.462
Total Hops (g): 240.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.070 (°P): 17.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.06 %
Colour (SRM): 11.5 (EBC): 22.6
Bitterness (IBU): 74.4 (Tinseth - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
8.243 kg Pale Malt (57%)
4.339 kg Rye Malt (30%)
1.446 kg Biscuit (10%)
0.434 kg Caramunich III (3%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Simcoe Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (First Wort) (0.7 g/L)
90.0 g Cascade Pellet (6.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.1 g/L)
40.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.1% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
80.0 g Simcoe Pellet (13% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
20.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 90 Minutes (Mash)
8.0 g Brewbrite @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
20.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 64°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Notes
----------------
0 Minute additions added to cubes.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

pajs said:
Just made that 100% Dingeman's Aromatic Malt SMaSH beer, with Hallertauer Mittlefruh for hops to 27 IBU. Definitely overshot the colour range for Oktoberfest/Marzen, so with 38 EBC this is more into Munich Dunkel type territory. Overshot on final gravity too, 1058 rather than the 1050 target. I took the bag to 78 for a mash out, which I usually don't bother doing, and sparged, which might be why efficiency ended up at 77% and gravity went high. Anyway, it's a malty wort! Pretty intense flavours, including some slight husk-y/astringent characters which should play nicely against the malt. Might be interesting to try Northern Brewer with this malt as a SMaSH too. Lager yeast pitch in the morning, then off to the cool shed for a cold ferment and we'll see how it turns out.
Hooley dooley! Isn't aromatic the Weyerman equivalent to melanoidin malt? If so, it's gonna be really intense! A little bit of that stuff goes a long way.

Report back.

Other way 'round - but yep! Dingemans Aromatic is similarish to Weyermann Melanoidin, well they both aim to have that big malt flavour hit.

Experiment in progress!

Nick R said:
Other way 'round - but yep! Dingemans Aromatic is similarish to Weyermann Melanoidin, well they both aim to have that big malt flavour hit.

Experiment in progress!
IIRC, Weyermann Melanoidin can't self-convert, so wasn't in the running for a SMaSH.

sp0rk said:
I might give it a go
It'll probably sit in the cube for a couple of weeks until I've finished bombing my house with waves of bleach and then vinegar, I want to eliminate this damn mould that keeps infecting my beers
100% i reckon you'll love it. that or wy1469 cos the nuttiness is similar.

I didn't get around to brewing my pale ale, so I'm upping it to an IPA after receiving some bramling cross

99% TF MO
1% Simpsons medium x

Gypsum in mash

BC 30
BC 20
BC hopstand

50 IBU

London ale 3

I've ordered grain for my second version of "1592" (Centennial of Columbus "discovering" North America). I'll brew it on Sunday.
The first version was a bit heavy on the late Columbus so I've backed it off a bit.

Length: 24 L
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.6% (after bottle priming)
IBU: 67
EBC: 17

85% Efficiency into the kettle
3.50 kg Simpsons MO
0.50 kg Bestmalz Munich light
0.25 kg Simpsons Crystal (150EBC)
0.25 kg Bestmalz Caramel Pils
0.50 kg Breiss Golden Light DME
0.50 kg Dextrose
(DME and dextrose are added due to limited mash tun capacity)

20 g Columbus (15% AA) - 60 min - 37 IBU
30 g Centennial (9.2% AA) - 15 min - 9 IBU
35 g Columbus (15% AA) - 5 min - 12 IBU
45 g Centennial (9.2% AA) - Hop stand 45 min @ 80 C - 10 IBU
25 g Columbus (15% AA) - Dry
45 g Centennial (9.2% AA) - Dry

US-05 at 19 C

mje1980 said:
I didn't get around to brewing my pale ale, so I'm upping it to an IPA after receiving some bramling cross

99% TF MO
1% Simpsons medium x

Gypsum in mash

BC 30
BC 20
BC hopstand

50 IBU

London ale 3
Been looking at Brambling Cross, they sound like something I would like.... let me know how it turns out.

It's been a good beer day...

Argon's Little Critter Pale Ale into the cube this morning...with assistant brewer getting in the way helping (he's in camouflage so may be hard to spot).
Then beers with friends at Bentspoke Brewery this afternoon.

20140802_090349%20-%20Copy.jpg

Adaption of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale with Rye. Using Kohatu and B Saaz, this beer tastes like lime splice. Also trying out a new base malt I got through a mate. I may be wrong but I think it is similar to the Schooner malt sold by Barleyman, made as a one small batch.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.850
Total Hops (g): 110.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 26.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.300 kg Pale Malt (68.04%)
0.800 kg Rye Malt (16.49%)
0.500 kg Munich I (10.31%)
0.250 kg Caramunich I (5.15%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g B Saaz Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Kohatu Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
15.0 g B Saaz Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
15.0 g Kohatu Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g B Saaz Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Kohatu Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
10.0 g B Saaz Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L)
10.0 g Kohatu Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19°C with Safale US-05

Back