What Are You Brewing - 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting on this Baltic Porter now

Pearler Polish Porter (Baltic Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.071 (°P): 17.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol (ABV): 7.40 %
Colour (SRM): 27.1 (EBC): 53.4
Bitterness (IBU): 31.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

74.63% Pale Ale Malt
14.93% Candi Sugar, Amber
7.46% Munich I
1.49% Black Malt
1.49% Chocolate

1.6 g/L Perle (7.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Hallertau Tradition (3.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Hallertau Tradition (3.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 15°C with Wyeast 2112 - California Lager

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The dry hop is actually cube hops

Almost finished the mash on a red rye mild, same recipe as I had for the QLD case swap, I almost pulled out of the swap to keep the first batch for myself.

Pratty1 said:
American Dank IPA

After debating to use a cascade/centennial/simcoe/columbus mix for the recipe......I thought Id throw a bunch of 17.5% AA Columbus in and see how it goes instead - if someone feels the 4 hop combo would be better please change my mind.

OG - 1.065
ABV - 6.3%
IBU - 65
EBC - 12

Golden Promise Ale - 53%
Marris Otter Ale - 36%
Munich Malt - 11%

Columbus @ 60m
Columbus @ 30m
Centennial @ 20m
Columbus @ Flameout
Columbus @ Dry Hop - 7days ( after Fermentation )

Ferment at 18c with Dennys Fav 1450
how did this go mate? I'm over in the USA for all of July and have had a literal shitload of big IPAs. been awesome.

Two Aussie Pales today.

Style: Australian Pale Ale
————————–
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 39.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

————

4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 90.9 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 6.8 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 2.3 %
20.00 g Millenium - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 30.3 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 9.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Australian Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP009 Yeast 6 -

————————————————————————————-

Recipe: Jarrylo Pale Ale

Style: Australian Pale Ale
————————–
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 36.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
————
4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 90.9 %
0.30 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 6.1 %
0.15 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3 3.0 %
10.00 g Millenium - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 14.5 IBUs
20.00 g Jarrylo - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 11.5 IBUs
20.00 g Jarrylo - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 6.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [ Yeast 7 -

Pratty1 said:
American Dank IPA

After debating to use a cascade/centennial/simcoe/columbus mix for the recipe......I thought Id throw a bunch of 17.5% AA Columbus in and see how it goes instead - if someone feels the 4 hop combo would be better please change my mind.

OG - 1.065
ABV - 6.3%
IBU - 65
EBC - 12

Golden Promise Ale - 53%
Marris Otter Ale - 36%
Munich Malt - 11%

Columbus @ 60m
Columbus @ 30m
Centennial @ 20m
Columbus @ Flameout
Columbus @ Dry Hop - 7days ( after Fermentation )

Ferment at 18c with Dennys Fav 1450
how did this one go mate?

fletcher said:
how did this one go mate?
Haha, this morning when I logged in thought to myself that you must of fallen down a hole somewhere cos of your absence from the forum, if i guess right you have been abroad?

That beer you asked about well I ended up changing the hops and went with FWH Columbus to 40IBU and used Galaxy @ 5mins to 30IBu and dry hopped with Galaxy.

Got a great aroma and flavour but the FWH didnt have that edgey/bitterness I wanted, like when I used Warrior to 35ibu at 60mins. I also used Dennys Fav and this is known for accentuating the malt and mouthfeel ( the LHBS didnt have 1056 ) and this affected the overall beer. Got a great golden colour, nice beer but the finish doesnt have a good IPA bitterness due to the malt and mouthfeel created by the yeast.

I have penned it into the line up for next friday night. Upped the numbers a bit and going for 7.2% abv and 75IBU

Columbus @ 60m, 30m
Centennial @ 10m
Columbus Whirlpooled for 10m

1056 yeast or US05 and plan to dry hop it with columbus...knights of columbus!

After having a Heretic Evil Cousin last weekend....my palate needs a danky beer ( the Heretic combined Columbus with Apollo and Cacade :icon_drool2: )

Pratty1 said:
Haha, this morning when I logged in thought to myself that you must of fallen down a hole somewhere cos of your absence from the forum, if i guess right you have been abroad?

That beer you asked about well I ended up changing the hops and went with FWH Columbus to 40IBU and used Galaxy @ 5mins to 30IBu and dry hopped with Galaxy.

Got a great aroma and flavour but the FWH didnt have that edgey/bitterness I wanted, like when I used Warrior to 35ibu at 60mins. I also used Dennys Fav and this is known for accentuating the malt and mouthfeel ( the LHBS didnt have 1056 ) and this affected the overall beer. Got a great golden colour, nice beer but the finish doesnt have a good IPA bitterness due to the malt and mouthfeel created by the yeast.

I have penned it into the line up for next friday night. Upped the numbers a bit and going for 7.2% abv and 75IBU

Columbus @ 60m, 30m
Centennial @ 10m
Columbus Whirlpooled for 10m

1056 yeast or US05 and plan to dry hop it with columbus...knights of columbus!

After having a Heretic Evil Cousin last weekend....my palate needs a danky beer ( the Heretic combined Columbus with Apollo and Cacade :icon_drool2: )
haha, i have mate. been in the US for the whole month of july. amazing. i'll post the list of all the beers i've had since being here shortly...it's unbelievable.

your new beer looks nice. never tried dennys myself. might try it in an amber ale. and holy shit i love columbus and centennial. you'll have to save me some. i'll drive north and bring my chinook/simcoe/centennial ipa (http://sexyfuntimebrewing.weebly.com/botany-bay-ipa.html)

i've had WAY too many IPAs over here recently, and sadly they're all starting to taste very similar so i've been moving into belgian (americans love their belgians) and saison and wit/wheat territory for some difference. having said that, there have been some IPAs here that have blown me away. ones that spring to mind are the baxter beer works stowaway ipa and the breckenridge brewery's lucku u ipa.

An English pub ale is now no-chilling in the cube...bloody freezing in the garage too.

85% - Golden Promise
12% - Pale Wheat
3% - Cara-amber

Fuggles to 20IBU. OG: 1046. WLP002.

All this talk about S&W Pacific ale on another thread has given me a taste for it. Just realised at the end of the mash that I don't have any Galaxy left so using Waimea instead. First time using Waimea so hopefully I like it cause there isn't much for it to hide behind.

After checking through the old recipes that Stu put up, I'm doing an easy drinking ale for my mates

88% - JW Ale
8% - Wheat Malt
4% - Dark Crystal

PoR to 32IBU, additions at 60 and flame out
Still trying to decide whether I'll just use US05 or if I'll get some Coopers Pale longies and grow up their yeast

*edit*
Whoops, I don't have any dark drystal (was going to use Caraaroma), I'll have to use caramalt or pale crystal instead

Time for another cream ale, for some reason kegs of it don't last too long at my place.

80% Vienna
20% Dextrose

20 IBUs of whatever

US05 @ 16 degrees

Quite a boring beer for my tastes but people love it. Oh well, leaves more of the good beer for me.

I brewed a Baltic Porter, and pitched it this morning:

Baltic Porter (Baltic Porter)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.085 (°P): 20.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.021 (°P): 5.3
Alcohol (ABV): 8.35 %
Colour (SRM): 33.1 (EBC): 65.2
Bitterness (IBU): 30.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

44.44% Pale Ale Malt
40% Munich I
11.11% Brown Malt
2.22% Carafa III malt
2.22% Chocolate, Pale

2 g/L Kohatu (6.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with San Fran Lager yeast

Notes: Went to 1.090

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Ended up at 1.090 and it smells AMAZING. I threw it on top of some freshly washed San Fran lager yeast and gave it 90 seconds of pure CO2 for good measure.

Rice Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 15.0
Total Grain (kg): 3.350
Total Hops (g): 50.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.14 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 20.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.500 kg JW Ale (74.63%)
0.750 kg Rice (22.39%)
0.100 kg Wheat Malt (2.99%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 70 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)
25.0 g Hallertau Tradition Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 0 Minutes (Mash)

Cooked the rice in a lot of water before the mash. Kept cooking until bubbling mess of goo (about 30 minutes). Rice grains were mushy (not dry at the core - basically as you would to eat). Probably wouldn't have hurt to use a bigger pot and more water.

Mashed at 60°C for 1 hour (boiling rice brought the mash up to this perfectly - dumb luck on my part). Then took it up to 65-75 for another hour (mash was a shambles - too much in by BigW pot since I underestimated the cooked rice volume).

Ferment at 15°C with Saflager S-23

Got the FV sterilizing now, cubed the wort yesterday.

Second beer for my "square"

Hoppy pale ale

96.6% TF MO
3.4% Simpsons medium crystal

Challenger 30
Challenger 15
Challenger hopstand.

Gypsum in the mash

38 IBU

Wyeast London ale III

Plan on fermenting the first 48hrs in my square plastic storage tun lid off, top cropping after 24hrs or so. After that I'll siphon into a normal fermentor to finish off. Last time I added a ss ladle full of top cropped yeast into the secondary, just to help it finish off.

Brewed a tiny batch of a Maris Otter + 2013 German Tettnanger + US05 SMaSH beer (BIAB no-chill stovetop style) last night. Took a fair amount of 2.5%AA Tett to get up to 40 IBU.

A Schwarzbier is next. Also going to try an all Dingeman's Aromatic malt SMaSH Octoberfest.

Have a bit of Spelt malt turning up this week, so planning something Spelt-y. Not sure what yet.

Going to brew something along these lines in the next week or so:

Around 5% alcohol at 30IBU

60% pilsner
40% wheat

10 IBU at 60 min
20IBU of Galaxy and Ella in the cube

Wyeast American Wheat 1010

lukencode,

what hop are you using for the 10ibu @ 60mins?

Whoah, that's gonna be a good 60g of hops in the cube
Though I am considering using 100g of galaxy in the cube some time soon...

Back