What are the main factors that deter people from AG brewing ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roosterboy

Reaction score
I would like to survey (non scientifically) all the kit /extract / fresh wort kit home brewers, what are the top 3 reasons that have deterred you from trying AG brewing ?

Time, room and extra gear required.

Edit- there are ways to minimise all within reason.

I'd imagine time would be a big factor. I do AG now, but before I made the switch, my main issue was money to afford the equipment. I wanted to go to AG months before I did so the money issue wasn't a deterrent as such, just a product of my situation at the time. Doing BIAB in an urn hasn't really taken up much more space compared to what I was using when brewing with kits/extracts.

With a few of my mates it's the time. Their K&k in 30m vs my biab 5hrs. They can taste the difference but can't commit the time.

Money and support from family. Live with the parents still because it is close to my university. They don't fancy the stuff I already have around the house let alone the extra equipment needed to go AG.

I wanted to try AG when browsing the recipes in the forums and seeing so many AG recipes with big wraps, but as a K&K dabbling in extracts the biggest impediments seemed the complexity (missed the SMASH stuff, didn't even occur to me it was a possible approach) and the huge step up in gear.
Then I came across BIAB, and because it seemed doable with not much more gear than I had, the steps to further reading & browsing topics & sub-forums I didn't ordinarily view came easier. Once the idea that AG was doable had taken hold, then the rest fell into place pretty quickly. Although that first BIAB was pretty hairy... :)
Have now done 20-odd in the past year and am very glad for the progression. Still make the odd extract when I just haven't got the time for a full-on effort.
cheers!

For me it was time

To get around that I just decided to do no chill which makes for a 3.5 hr brew day... Totally worth it

K & K is shake and stir for half and hour versus AG 6 hours of cooking ... AG is completely impractical, not sensible nor realistic given the space, time and money involved.

I reckon you gotta be really passionate about beer to do AG. B)

Goose said:
... AG is completely impractical, not sensible nor realistic given the space, time and money involved.

I reckon you gotta be really passionate about beer to do AG. B)
Mmmm....a bit like most other hobbies, car restoration, fishing, 4WD off road activities, golf, springs to mind. :ph34r:

I personally get great enjoyment out of brewing with the AG method, but I can see that time and cost would be the most relevant points in the argument against AG. :D

Good thread. We have to be honest, it does take time out of our days to do this and at not insignificant cost.

Time and money and maybe space. If you have the money to go and buy up on brew bling then good luck to ya. $150 for my biab kettle is a lot of money for me but I've spends a lot more than since then and the long time between upgrades makes it more rewarding. Its never ending though.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There are no real reasons not to do AG.....just excuses. ;)
Well to be fair, the main reason is taste that you just can't get from a can of goop, plus the flexibility to build your own creations, whether it be in the equipment, process or the construction of your own recipes.

I was going to mention the many ways to incorporate grain into brewing - partial mashes, Lord Raja Goomba's stovetop method - but wanted to stay within the scope of the post,ie not talk about the many ways to skin this particular cat.

I think a lot of people just refuse to compromise on flavour, freshness and flexibility and are lucky enough in their home life to be able to do it. Ok let's be realistic, just compromise on the rest of their life to do it...

Goose said:
Well to be fair, the main reason is taste that you just can't get from a can of goop, plus the flexibility to build your own creations, whether it be in the equipment, process or the construction of your own recipes.
I did say NOT TO DO AG B)

Time and money were the biggest factors for me. But once you make the leap you don't have to (but you probably will) buy more equipment. Best part is there's nothing limiting your brewing so you can make whatever you like with accuracy

Time is still a large issue but even though brewing takes 5-6 hrs you're not doing stuff most of of the time so you can go do stuff during the mash or I just do uni work while watching boil. Or you can just drink a few beers if you've got the day free.

Personally I think the extra time is worth it based on the fact there's is nothing limiting you're beers unlike kits and extra and it's a rewarding hobby. However if you're brewing for more economic reasons then hobby then it's probably best to stay k&k because the extra time invested probably wouldn't be worth it

Fear. For me I have always had fear issues when undertaking stuff for the first time, usually driven by fear that I'll **** up and be laughed at. Irrational I know, but that's just how it is. Desire helps overcome it, especially having had a go at a bloke's AG beer for the first time, thast was the deal maker.

Time and effort are not an issue when you have the satisfaction of making quality beer yourself, the variety on offer, and the myriad of learning opportunities. Plus I've had better communal beers over an AG session rather than just open a tin and add some hot water to goo.

HERE is a great explanation of the economics of getting into AG brewing.

My mention of this link does not mean that I am in any way affiliated with the company however, this bloke has done the sums and makes for an interesting take on the subject, particularly in reference to saving money over time.

Latest posts

Back