What are the main factors that deter people from AG brewing ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, would need a bigger pot, a better burner, etc over the full extract I'm doing now. Plus I doubt there would be a flavour difference.

Personally I cant really tell a huge difference between my full extract brews and the fwks i have done. Also for most basic beer styles I cant find a huge difference between other peoples ag and my full extract brews.

Kit and kilo or even kit and extract on the other hand there is a massive difference.

Personally I despise peer pressure.

It is very strong on this forum.

In my introductory thread I specifically pointed out that I'm happy doing full extract, and following that the majority of the posts were wankers posting ghetto ways to go grain and telling me how vastly superior it is.

It is better, sure, but not everyone wants it crambed down there throats from the holyer than thou all grainers who have probably never even had a properly made extract brew.

I will go ag, one day, I have most the stuff I need for a 3v, and saving some money will be the main reason for making the change, as it can be done cheaper.

First though I have a few upgrades to make to my extract brewing gear, and I need to enter a few comps to see what happens....

Renting: Moving house every couple of years and not being able to build/set something really good up in my own shed is a bit of a deterrent for me, living an hour and a half away from the nearest Home Brew shop does'nt help either. As with most pursuits learning to crawl before you walk is important, I understand there is roughly three tiers to Home Brewing? 1) Dump 'n' stir (2) BIAB etc. (3) All Grain. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I use kits and have just began experimenting with hops and different yeasts, bought an STC 1000 so proper temp controll will hopefully be achieved within the next brew or two. All grain is definately something to work towards.

I just couldn't imagine going back to kits and stuff after BIAB. It's all in the taste for fucks sake. We brew because we love beer and every movement towards tasty wholesome beer is an advancement of ourselves. Maybe the question is, how many of us went back to KnK after experiencing the delectable and life-enhancing properties of our well-crafted and luscious beverages. What do we want? Tasty Beer. When do we want it? NOW!

Benn said:
As with most pursuits learning to crawl before you walk is important, I understand there is roughly three tiers to Home Brewing? 1) Dump 'n' stir (2) BIAB etc. (3) All Grain. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
yes im afraid you are wrong with that statement.
BIAB is an all grain method but like every other method you can supplement with extract if you need too (mash tun too small for a 100% grain bill).

1st tier kits (pre hopped extract)
2nd tier (unhopped extract with or without steeping grains & your in charge of the hopping)
3rd tier (all grain, you're in charge of creating the fermentables and doing the hopping)

Benn said:
Renting: Moving house every couple of years and not being able to build/set something really good up in my own shed is a bit of a deterrent for me, living an hour and a half away from the nearest Home Brew shop does'nt help either. As with most pursuits learning to crawl before you walk is important, I understand there is roughly three tiers to Home Brewing? 1) Dump 'n' stir (2) BIAB etc. (3) All Grain. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I use kits and have just began experimenting with hops and different yeasts, bought an STC 1000 so proper temp controll will hopefully be achieved within the next brew or two. All grain is definately something to work towards.
Yeah walking before running is never a bad idea, I did k&k and extract brews for nearly a year before making the jump to AG at which point I was felt then ready to. And the three tiers of brewing are probably more like: 1. Kits 2. Extract/or kits with partial boils 3. All grain - BIAB is just one method of all grain brewing.

People can make shit beer using kits, extracts, or all grain, likewise people can make great beer with kits, extract or all grain. People that brew all grain prefer it for numerous reasons and likewise people that brew with kits or extracts also have their reasons. My dads been brewing for years with kits and he really enjoy his beers. He's been playing around with his kits and added stuff and thinks he might get one of those Grainfathers one day, but theres no rush. Beauty of brewing is that everyone gets to brew in you're own method.

Edit: Dazz beat me to the tiers correction

I couldn't get my head around how to do AG

...so I asked my mrs to read part of a book concerning making a mash tun and she built it for me. Yes I have no hand in this relationship.

But also what mad pierre said - the fear of not knowing or screwing up. And again that's where my mrs will chime in when we're renovating or embarking on something pretty big and she'll say just have a go, things can be fixed.

If you are like me and struggle to turn words from a book into pictures in your mind I'd suggest hanging with someone doing AG

Just my 2c

..cough.. I still put in a kits and bits brew every so often..

Last was a heather ale for the Highland Games, next one will be a mango tea pale..

Great way to (cheaply) experiment....

I gotta euro lager can I'll bang in with 3.5kg of grain. WLP-810. But you gotta have the grain. It's such a jump in taste.

Benn said:
Benn....not to mention the cost of AG.

My advice to you is start AG after you have saved your deposit.....

Time and equipment.

I wanted to go all grain straight away but thought while I'm gathering the equipment I can do kits and bits and get the process down pat first.

Equipment: A good thermometer, a fridge with stc, a heat belt, decent size stock pot, and a four ring burner. I am fortunate enough to have the space for all this but many people do not.

For me it's small children and time, I'm also pretty happy with the quality of beers I'm making at this stage. Bulk sacks of DME make each batch a lot cheaper than tins of goop too.

I can easily do an extract w/ steeped grains brew on a week night at the same time as cooking dinner for the family, and do it all in the kitchen.

I'm sure I'll give all grain a crack at some stage down the track but it won't be any time soon.

I'd love to give it a try but space is the big one for me with time a close 2nd with a 4month old baby

3rd is the missus reaction when I bring home more gear from the shop for brewing . I'm a musican as well and I already have a sunroom full of expensive gear

when we get a house next year I hope I have some space to get a bit more involved and give AG a try. I worked as a prep and line cook for 2 years and enjoy cooking so I do enjoy that side of it. messing with ingredients and such.

dicko said:
HERE is a great explanation of the economics of getting into AG brewing.

My mention of this link does not mean that I am in any way affiliated with the company however, this bloke has done the sums and makes for an interesting take on the subject, particularly in reference to saving money over time.
Try the calculations with BIAB, a cheap box for insulation, a cheap fermenter and a bottle capper.

To answer the poster's question, I stayed with extract for a year and half because I live in Outer Gippsland and my kettle was only 14L capacity. That was it, period. I crossed into AG and mostly mash after a trip to Melbourne when I bought a larger kettle. Then at Bunnings I bought earth wool to line a box when I dropped my kettl in it for mashing, and later I sent for a top-notch thermometer. My equipment is worth less than $350 retail. Now I do BIAB.

With no chill, the time factor can be reduced. Not just by the cooling time. My brewing patterns are months of no brewing, then, a quiet week will pop up, and bang, I'll fill 4 cubes or so in a few days. Often it'll be 2 double batches so I'm really only brewing twice. 4 cubes lasts me months, so, while a brewday is a good 4 hours or so, it's 4 hours every few months to keep me supplied for months.

Depends on consumption but if you have a big big pot etc.

Just my .02c

Bomber Watson said:
Personally I despise peer pressure.

It is very strong on this forum.

In my introductory thread I specifically pointed out that I'm happy doing full extract, and following that the majority of the posts were wankers posting ghetto ways to go grain and telling me how vastly superior it is.

It is better, sure, but not everyone wants it crambed down there throats from the holyer than thou all grainers who have probably never even had a properly made extract brew.

I will go ag, one day, I have most the stuff I need for a 3v, and saving some money will be the main reason for making the change, as it can be done cheaper.

First though I have a few upgrades to make to my extract brewing gear, and I need to enter a few comps to see what happens....
LOL you're right, it probably was a bit of peer pressure that got me into AG brewing, but it was only ever in the form of friendly banter from guys I met here and elsewhere who turned into good mates, offering advice, old unwanted gear, big brewdays together to learn the ropes, etc.
Nothing wrong with KnK & Extract. It's all about getting creative and having fun.

Bomber Watson said:
Actually I looked at your introductory post and could only see one person encouraging you that way. :blink:

Wankers. You know who you are...... admit it!

Benn said:
This thread has promted me to do a lot of reading. After looking into AG further and some of the brew rigs other members have built I'm sure I can build a portable/modular rig that will work for me. I've already got a 90L pot that should work as a HLT, a new 60L esky, a keg and a heap of other miscellaneous bits and pieces. Welding up a frame will be no problem either. Got a busy schedule coming up but I hope to be AG brewing by summer.

Back