Well aged.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing_Brad

Reaction score
Clearing out our storage locker, and I just discovered a bottle of beer we brewed 5 years ago.

Popped the lid and no fizz, but the taste and the smell is pretty awesome. I whacked it in the sodastream to give it a bit of fizz and damn! I'm impressed!

I just need to go back through my records to find out what's in it. From memory it was a SMASH with pilsner and galaxy hops.

I love this accidental aging process. I wonder if I'd have the patients to do it deliberately?

Any way, just had to share.

Sláinte!
Brad

MartinOC said:
How was it different from the fresh version?
Dude, it was 5 years ago! I can barely remember last week. I think I took some tasting notes way back then, so as soon I find my old brew log, I'll let you know.

I can tell you that this was a very malty beer with a moderate bitterness and a hint of passionfruit...but just a hint, mind you. Not very strong at all.

If you could age every beer you've ever made you could be blown away with exotic/boutique varieties. Even some you ditched!
It is a tedious labour to bottle a few samples of what you have made but I have done it with a few and it is very interesting the way a not so good beer can get to a best date. If storage was no problem then its worth it.

I was reading some article on a "5 bottle rule" or sum thing similar, that the writer used to evaluate his beers over a long time line. I'd love to stash away a small amount each brew and do the same, but it just doesn't last!
Just need to get blind drunk one night, gather a box of various brews, and hide them somewhere that's temp stable, and set some kind of email calendar alarm that gives the location after the appropriate time.

Back