• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Weird Looking Krausen

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

williewtb

Reaction score
This came up bout 18 hours after i pitch. Normally it would be pretty even and flat, this one came up high just in one spot with some brown patch on the top. Am using nottingham yeast, i made sure i clean and sanitize everything, could it be a possible infection? Beside the shape it looks pretty good, white and foamy...

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Perfectly normal, all is good :)

Cheers Ross

kario

Reaction score
"A picture of health".

williewtb

Reaction score
Glad to hear this guys! Thanks for the heads up. ;)

bullsneck

Malty tasking
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I have a porter in primary at the moment with Nottingham munching away at it. It threw up a big off-white krausen with a small, say 4cm in radius, brown spot to the side not dissimilar to yours. I echo what all have said before me.

Fourstar

doG reeB
Reaction score
i only see this typically when im too lazy to rehydrate dry yeast and some random yeast cells cling to the wort foam after oxygenation.

seravitae

Reaction score
^^ what he said, krausen looks fine, just looks like a dry yeast pocket.

thylacine

Reaction score
i only see this typically when im too lazy to rehydrate dry yeast and some random yeast cells cling to the wort foam after oxygenation.

I stopped rehydrating "dry yeast" (can you rehydrate liquid yeast...? :) ) over twelve months ago and have not observed an increase in the frequency of the OP's krausen description.

bullsneck

Malty tasking
Reaction score
I assumed the brown stuff was just some kettle trub that found its way into the fermenter.

alcoadam

Reaction score
Must be a nice wort to get the yeast that excited..... :lol:

williewtb

Reaction score
Well this is just my 3rd brew so im still learning very much. ;) This is also my first time rehyrdating the dry yeast, and i pour a whole lot into one spot, must have got too excited lol, maybe that explains why.. im now just a bit over a day after pitching and i can see at least a good 3cm of krausen and its all level now.. :lol:

Latest posts