Weird Looking Krausen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williewtb

Reaction score
This came up bout 18 hours after i pitch. Normally it would be pretty even and flat, this one came up high just in one spot with some brown patch on the top. Am using nottingham yeast, i made sure i clean and sanitize everything, could it be a possible infection? Beside the shape it looks pretty good, white and foamy...

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

Perfectly normal, all is good :)

Cheers Ross

Interestingly enough, I have a porter in primary at the moment with Nottingham munching away at it. It threw up a big off-white krausen with a small, say 4cm in radius, brown spot to the side not dissimilar to yours. I echo what all have said before me.

i only see this typically when im too lazy to rehydrate dry yeast and some random yeast cells cling to the wort foam after oxygenation.

^^ what he said, krausen looks fine, just looks like a dry yeast pocket.

i only see this typically when im too lazy to rehydrate dry yeast and some random yeast cells cling to the wort foam after oxygenation.

I stopped rehydrating "dry yeast" (can you rehydrate liquid yeast...? :) ) over twelve months ago and have not observed an increase in the frequency of the OP's krausen description.

I assumed the brown stuff was just some kettle trub that found its way into the fermenter.

Must be a nice wort to get the yeast that excited..... :lol:

Well this is just my 3rd brew so im still learning very much. ;) This is also my first time rehyrdating the dry yeast, and i pour a whole lot into one spot, must have got too excited lol, maybe that explains why.. im now just a bit over a day after pitching and i can see at least a good 3cm of krausen and its all level now.. :lol:

Latest posts

Back